It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia:Amateur Divers Find Long-Lost Nuclear Warhead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Savannah| A couple of tourists from Canada made a surprising discovery while scuba diving in Wassaw Sound, a small bay located on the shores of Georgia. Jason Sutter and Christina Murray were admiring the marine life of the area when they stumbled upon a Mark 15 thermonuclear bomb that had been lost by the United States Air Force more than 50 years ago.

GEORGIA: AMATEUR DIVERS FIND LONG-LOST NUCLEAR WARHEAD

Well....looks like it was finally found. Imagine if that had been found by some other "nefarious" force. I can't believe it took 50 years to find this thing.

What kind of damage could a 4 megaton bomb do? That seems like a pretty significant size bomb to just give up on looking for. I would think 4 megatons would have wreaked some havoc off the coast of GA had it detonated at some point, but I would guess there are a lot of safety measures in place so it would not do so.

Well...the closest I could find was the 3.3 megaton hydrogen bomb tested by China...

Can't imagine that would have been a good thing for the area.

Anywho....glad it was found, and I bet those divers were crapping bricks when they realized what it was.
edit on 2/19/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit - Source was discovered to be Satire, moved to HOAX. This is not a reflection of the member who posted this OP.
edit on 2/19/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I'll be very surprised if this doesn't end up in the hoax bin.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
imagine if without knowing what it was they just took it home and stuffed it in the garage with other "cool sea stuff"
you know, really big seashells, a few coins, a piece of a broken vase, a nuke.
Would have been one hell of a conversation starter.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

As I certified diver myself I am always happy to come across something unexpected on a dive so I am a bit envious that I cannot put 'Mark-15 Thermonuclear Device' in my log book.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

Not sure I follow....why would it end up in the HOAX bin?

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
What's funny is a lot of treasure hunters have spent years and a ton of money looking for it. Some tourists stumbled on to it....
Yep its better to be lucky than good any day.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
imagine if without knowing what it was they just took it home and stuffed it in the garage with other "cool sea stuff"
you know, really big seashells, a few coins, a piece of a broken vase, a nuke.
Would have been one hell of a conversation starter.

Ha...I can see it now. "So....how do you all like our new coffee table?"

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

As I certified diver myself I am always happy to come across something unexpected on a dive so I am a bit envious that I cannot put 'Mark-15 Thermonuclear Device' in my log book.

Yeah....talk about the find of a lifetime. That would have really given me a big shock.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I saw this story two days ago. I was skeptical, so I did a google search.
Results indicated that this story dates back to 2004(or something like that IIRC) and that it wasn't true.

Anyway, if it was true, this would be showing up on MSM feeds, not just blogs and WND.
edit on bu282015-02-19T07:46:40-06:0007America/ChicagoThu, 19 Feb 2015 07:46:40 -06007u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
"JUST PLEASE DON'T SLAM THE COFFEE MUG ON IT!"

link   
^ that's why.

link   
It's WorldNewsDaily so most likely a hoax.....but...

IF it were true I can imagine the diver who found it having a "brown diving suit" moment.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I saw this story two days ago. I was skeptical, so I did a google search.
Results indicated that this story dates back to 2004(or something like that IIRC) and that it wasn't true.

Anyway, if it was true, this would be showing up on MSM feeds, not just blogs and WND.

Hmm....tried searching, and the only thing that comes up is links back to that article. Guess it could be a HOAX as I would think this would have made major headlines if true.

If it isn't true, then I was sadly duped.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

You were duped.

It's a "satire" site.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Here is the picture of a German bomb from January 2014

www.dw.de...

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jakal26

You were duped.

It's a "satire" site.

It appears so. My apologies to the forum. HOAX bin it is!

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce
Here is the picture of a German bomb from January 2014

www.dw.de...

Nice find.
That and the fact that the 1950's H-bomb was a tad bigger.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
1958 Tybee Island mid-air collision

The Tybee Island B-47 crash was an incident on February 5, 1958, in which the United States Air Force lost a 7,600-pound (3,400 kg) Mark 15 nuclear bomb in the waters off Tybee Island near Savannah, Georgia, United States. During a practice exercise, the B-47 bomber carrying the bomb collided in midair with an F-86 fighter plane. To protect the aircrew from a possible detonation in the event of a crash, the bomb was jettisoned. Following several unsuccessful searches, the bomb was presumed lost somewhere in Wassaw Sound off the shores of Tybee Island.

About the "recovery"..

An article posted on February 12th, 2015 in the obscure World News Daily Report website indicated that the warhead was located by amateur divers on vacation in the shallow waters of Wassaw Sound near Tybee Island off the Georgia Coast. After examining the cylinder and reading some writing on the side Jason Sutter of London Ontario Canada realized that it was a missing Mk-15 nuclear warhead and immediately surfaced and called 911. Authorities from the US Navy arrived and over the course of a couple of days disarmed the device and transported to Mayport Naval Base. [9] The validity of this article has yet to be verified by a credible news source.

According to a crude post dated Feb 17th on Dr. Jeffrey Lewis's blog on arms control the article from World News Daily Report is a fake.

link

Who knows?

edit on 19/2/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Yeah, I posted it to fb (without checking the source) and was called out within about 10 seconds....lol
Thanks Vasa, for making me look like an idiot

I generally recognize the "satire" sites immediately, but didn't check the source.
Knee jerk reaction I suppose. I thought it was neat story.
In reality, it was *I* who made myself look like an idiot.

(I'm leaving it up at fb. Just for the fun of it)

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I've found a few floating oddities over the years including some kind of finned bomb back in the 60's.

I was just a kid and thought it was the coolest thing ever.

When I shook it, a wet, carbon like powder would pour out of the bottom of it.

Great fun.

It disappeared unexpectedly one day after Dad realized what I was playing with.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join