It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on this gun

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I am thinking of buying a handgun soon and wanted people's thoughts on the Taurus PT 24/7. I've read some good things and some not so good things about this gun, and highly value the opinions of everyone here. If you have an option of comparible price (399.00 here in canada) I would love to hear about it.

On a side note this will be my first handgun purchace and if there is a better newbie gun out there that I can get in Canada please let me know.
edit on 4-2-2015 by Daavin because: spelling

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

Check into a handgun called the canik tp9. It is around 300-350 and has great reviews. It is built in a factory overseas who build military weapons, so it should hold up better than a taurus. I have no experience with the 24/7.

ID

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The one I had, had a really terrible trigger.. Sloppy and a lot of play.. Took it to a gunsmith and they said there was nothing they could do so I sold it..

Just my experience, no idea if it is common or not..

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Honestly, it's going to be whatever fits your requirements best...there are many options out there.

For me, I think you can do better for $400...one thing I do like about this platform is the magazine size 15+1 is good for a .40.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Taurus though.
I don't think their quality control is as reliable as some other brands as they're marketed primarily as an entry level piece.

I've never been a fan of the .40 either - it's a compromise that has neither of the the benefits it's larger or smaller counterparts offer.

A smaller round such as the 9mm, offers a smaller firearm with a larger round count for a marginal reduction in stopping power (especially with the higher grain bullets such as a HP 147g) - a smaller firearm than this Taurus would likely be able to carry a couple rounds more (or at least the same number) but at the same time offer a slight reduction in weight & increased conceal-ability if required.

It's larger counterpart, the .45 has significantly more energy transfer than a .40 & is a very accurate & reliable round with many time tested & reliable platforms available.

The only advantage I've seen of the .40 is that there was still ammo on the shelf during the mad rush on ammunition after SH...maybe because it's a more modern round? Not sure...

Just my thoughts since you asked - but like I said, it really is whatever works best for you.
edit on 4-2-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Never had any experience with Taurus. I feel that its hard to beat a Glock. They come in all sizes and calibers and are impervious to the elements and malfunction.

Of course if you want light, concealable and guaranteed to go bang every time... Smith & Wesson J frame centennial, model 642 maybe, .38 +P was the standard U.S. Police duty load in the 70's into the 80's. If you can find one a S & W model 296 weighs 18 oz. and carries 5 rounds of .44 Special. (they don't make them any more)

edit on 4-2-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: I likee to eddie non and jango

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daavin
I am thinking of buying a handgun soon and wanted people's thoughts on the Taurus PT 24/7. I've read some good things and some not so good things about this gun, and highly value the opinions of everyone here. If you have an option of comparible price (399.00 here in canada) I would love to hear about it.

On a side note this will be my first handgun purchace and if there is a better newbie gun out there that I can get in Canada please let me know.

First, just let me say that everyone's got their favorites and that's why they make so many different types of firearms. That said, I'm sure I'll get jumped on for saying this.

Me, I'm a wheel gun fan. My personal carry weapon is a Sturm-Ruger SP101, 2.25 inch barrel, .357. But I don't use .357 in it because the barrell's too short to take advantage of the full gas power of the round. So, I use .38 Spl. +P.

I have friends who love the automatics, but I've never taken to them.

There's less expensive wheel guns out there; I'd suggest as a newbie, you pick one up and give it a shot, (no pun intended). I've shot the S&W line, but prefer the Ruger because they use a weighted barrel which I find more comfortable and accurate for me to shoot. For fun, you might want to try a .22 LR revolver just to get used to firing one. I'd personally recommend a double action however, with an exposed hammer so you can get used to the two different firing techniques.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Good luck and happy shooting!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Sorry British here.
A wheel gun? is that like a revolver? like the wild west ones?.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You should test a Springfield XDM 9mm or 45 ACP.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Get a Colt Government in 38 super calibur.....my fave....If youre in Canada you cant CCW anyway,,

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1
You should test a Springfield XDM 9mm or 45 ACP.

I completely agree with this post. The XDM, for its cost, is simply unbeatable. I'd definitely go with the 45 as well. I own one and its easily my favorite.

Taurus makes some good models, but I find their quality control is sometimes a little off.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My personal choice has been the Glock 17 and the Smith and Wesson m&p 9mm I really love that gun, shoots really smooth, nice grouping, love the hand grip and the way it feels. It really does come down to what You like. What kind of feel, you prefer.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The tiny bit of money you save by buying a Taurus is not worth the deficit in quality compared to handguns that only cost $100-200 more.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am not a fan of semi-auto Taurus, but do like their wheel guns. Not familiar with this one in particular, but have had experience with a few and just not for me.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: TonyS
Sorry British here.
A wheel gun? is that like a revolver? like the wild west ones?.

LOL...yes, like the wild west ones

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I agree with the poster that recommended the Canik.

I have a Canik Stingray and it's the perfect CZ 75 clone. I also have a CZ 75.

The Stingray comes in 9mm and .40 and is an all alloy frame. The TP9 is a poly frame. Both are great guns but I am not a fan of polymer frame pistols.

I am not a fan of Taurus - I've shot a few and I agree with Semperfortis that they have poor triggers and seem to have an overall poor build quality. If you're trying to stay around $400 go with the Canik or a Ruger - you can even get a S&W for around that price.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
thank you all it's nice to get some feedback from people who give honest answers, yes canada prohibits CCW so I would be strickly firing at a range. I was looking at revolvers but most are out of my price range (1500-2000 CND at the gun shops where I live). Is a 9mm or 22LR a better newbie gun? For my fellow Canadiens can I order from the states or is that a paperwork nightmare?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Depends on what you're looking for..

Neither a 9mm or .22 have a lot of recoil. If you're looking to train I would personally choose the 9mm over .22 as it will get you more accustomed to shooting a larger caliber.

.22 is cheaper (when available) and the firearm will typically be less expensive. If you're looking for a .22lr pistol for the range I highly recommend a Ruger 22/45 Lite - so much fun to shoot and ultra accurate.

If it's just a range gun get a full sized pistol. =]

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I've shot my brother's taurus and from 30 feet I wouldn't be able to hit Rosie O'Donnell if she was stuck in quicksand. His isn't the model you're looking at so that may not be the case. A Ruger is a good bang for the buck. Pun intended.
edit on 4-2-2015 by newWorldSamurai because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Kinda hard to conceal though isn't it?.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc

Honestly, it's going to be whatever fits your requirements best...there are many options out there.

For me, I think you can do better for $400...one thing I do like about this platform is the magazine size 15+1 is good for a .40.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of Taurus though.
I don't think their quality control is as reliable as some other brands as they're marketed primarily as an entry level piece.

I've never been a fan of the .40 either - it's a compromise that has neither of the the benefits it's larger or smaller counterparts offer.

A smaller round such as the 9mm, offers a smaller firearm with a larger round count for a marginal reduction in stopping power (especially with the higher grain bullets such as a HP 147g) - a smaller firearm than this Taurus would likely be able to carry a couple rounds more (or at least the same number) but at the same time offer a slight reduction in weight & increased conceal-ability if required.

It's larger counterpart, the .45 has significantly more energy transfer than a .40 & is a very accurate & reliable round with many time tested & reliable platforms available.

The only advantage I've seen of the .40 is that there was still ammo on the shelf during the mad rush on ammunition after SH...maybe because it's a more modern round? Not sure...

Just my thoughts since you asked - but like I said, it really is whatever works best for you.

Many firearms that come in both 9mm and .40 are exactly the same dimensions. A good example is the Ruger SRc series, or any CZ 75, or the CZ Rami.

.40 offers better ballistics than 9mm in many cases, with the right charge.

I love .40 and shoot it all the time. .40 tends to be more available in my area than 9mm too, but that might be based on my locality alone.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join