It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Sen: Let restaurants ‘opt out’ of handwashing after toilet to ‘reduce regulatory bu

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
There was Tillis and Hagan on the ballot. I chose neither.

Both of them can kiss my rear. I hope good ol' Walter Jones doesn't approve of this garbage.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: NotMoose

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I think it’s one I can illustrate the point,” Tillis told the women. “I said, I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as the post a sign that says ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restrooms.’ The market will take care of that.”

“That’s probably one where every business that did that would go out of business,” he added. “But I think it’s good to illustrate the point that that’s the sort of mentality that we need to have to reduce the regulatory burden on this country.”

Did any of you who are so horrified actually read THE WHOLE QUOTE? He wasn't actually advocating getting rid of hand-washing, he was saying that we go over the top in legislating every tiny detail, and that if we stopped, the market would take care of it for us. If you knew a restaurant didn't require employees to wash their hands, would you eat there? No? Well, that's exactly what he's saying.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
a reply to: olaru12

it seems to me that he does not like restaurants much, because if such a notice was posted i can't see them doing any business and they would have to close down in no time at all

That was exactly his point. They'd have no business and have to close. That's why he said "the market would take care of it."

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AshleyD
I almost thought it would be a joke at the expense of Anti-Vaxers.

Then I noticed the irony. He wants to ease regulations by not enforcing hand washing. But then he wants to regulate that by enforcing them to post signs that say they don't make employees wash hands after using the restroom. Ok...

Haha, great point!

I'm actually quite disgusted by this.

Does he also think the disgruntled chefs should be allowed to spit between the hamburgers or wank one in the soup, if they put up a sign that warns customers?

"Dear customer. If you insult the waiter, you might end up with a little extra sauce!"

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The guy gave a completely bad example, but I know what he was trying to say. This is what is wrong with politics. Media and partisans try to play this gotcha game instead of actually discussing the issues.

There are so many bad and unnecessary regulations on the books that are burdensome to businesses and do nothing to help the consumer. I see it everyday in my industry where we spend an inordinate amount of time trying to comply with regulations that sound good in theory, but completely useless in practical terms.

Washing hands is necessary and critical to hygiene. However, realistically, how can govt actually enforce that employees do so? They can't unless there is a camera in the bathroom.

What he was trying to say is that the free market will typically run these poorly run places out business. You don't need a government regulation requiring a restaurant post some stupid sign saying employees must wash hands after using the restroom. That is common sense.

This reasoning doesn't make any more sense either!!!

So suppose government would let free market reign, and instead, businesses that did not require hand washing, need to put up a sign instead.

HOW WILL YOU ENFORCE THAT? It's the same thing, however, in some cases I do honestly mean it when I say "f*** free market", free market DOES include the fact that people don't HAVE to wash their hands, but for god's sake, in some cases I really don't mind a little meddling, after all, if there is NO meddling there is also NO way of checking if people actually put up a sign!

I don't need to read a sign before I enter a place to eat. I want to enter ANY place to eat and be assured that I won't be getting sick from some unhygienic sob handling my food.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Greetings,

This just another example of a social ignorance the GOP is infected with, this with their predatory capitalistic agenda (read fascism) and efforts to control the voting so that we wind up with a one party sys ( read dictator) and it should be no surprise that this comment was made. I'm surprised he didn't suggest eliminating TP so the restaurants could save more money.

And what scares me the most is so many people are on this band wagon. After all we're the ones who vote them.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Read the article, SEN. Tillis actually has a good point. The public would/should be responsible for regulating the vendors (if the customer does not like a vendors practices then they choose not to be that vendors customer).

Normally I would agree.

But I don't want to get ill first before I find out they are filthy and then decide I don't shop there.

If a dozen people go down with salmonellae or worse E coli 0157 or shigella because some skank did not wash there hands you have a major health problem where people could get seriously ill or die.

I always go by the principle of ones freedom ends were mine begins.

And needlessly risking my health to me fails that test.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
How do people this dim survive childhood?

Maybe this guy would like a turd burger, it's faster cheaper and most importantly no annoying health regulations to follow.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Wait, what?
This is a joke right?
Please tell me this is a joke...

Read the article, SEN. Tillis actually has a good point. The public would/should be responsible for regulating the vendors (if the customer does not like a vendors practices then they choose not to be that vendors customer).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I think it’s one I can illustrate the point,” Tillis told the women. “I said, I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as the post a sign that says ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restrooms.’ The market will take care of that.”

“That’s probably one where every business that did that would go out of business,” he added. “But I think it’s good to illustrate the point that that’s the sort of mentality that we need to have to reduce the regulatory burden on this country.”

I have to agree. He didn't say restaurant employees should not wash their hands--the title of the article is misleading. He used this as an example to illustrate the point that public perception and the free market could regulate behavior without government writing reams of regulations and he does have a valid point in that, philosophically.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Is this the world we live in now?

A world in which it is becoming harder to distinguish a satire article ala "The Onion" and real news?
edit on 4-2-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: grammar

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The next time you get food poisoning, diarrhea or ecoli from eating **** from some food worker that didn't wash his hands...
Go read the sign and you should feel much better....LOL

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Wait, what?
This is a joke right?

It's not a joke but it's a clear case of Sen. Tillis letting his ideology get in the way of his common sense.

No way in hell he can ever live this dumbass remark down. I wonder what his new nickname will be? lol

How about "The Ecoli Kid?"

About now, I'll just bet that all of his previous dinner guest are wondering what they were fed at his house.

I wonder how long it would take for this guy to propose expanding this type of insane de-regulation to include hospital operating rooms?

They too, could just post a sign saying; "We do not require surgeons to wash their hands prior to performing your operation."

What an absolute idiot!!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I didn't see it mentioned, but does hand sanitizer count as washing your hands? Or does that fall outside the regulation and is not considered hand washing?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hand washing is not only for the public's health but also protects the restaurant staff. Caught the worse case of the flu from a customer who sneezed or coughed on his plates and I must've grabbed them then touched my face. I was sick for a month. I am dealing with a stomach bug in my house now and haven't caught it yet because I wash my hands well with anti bacterial soap. Please let me know what state this regulation will be in so I can know not to eat there!!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I think that it is sad that some people think that a government regulation ensures employees wash their hands (baaah).

In order to DENY IGNORANCE one must understand what ignorance is.

Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge).[1] The word ignorant is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware and is often used as an insult to describe individuals who deliberately ignore or disregard important information or facts.
edit on 4-2-2015 by NotMoose because: add it

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

originally posted by: olaru12

Wait, what?
This is a joke right?

It's not a joke but it's a clear case of Sen. Tillis letting his ideology get in the way of his common sense.

No way in hell he can ever live this dumbass remark down. I wonder what his new nickname will be? lol

How about "The Ecoli Kid?"

About now, I'll just bet that all of his previous dinner guest are wondering what they were fed at his house.

I wonder how long it would take for this guy to propose expanding this type of insane de-regulation to include hospital operating rooms?

They too, could just post a sign saying; "We do not require surgeons to wash their hands prior to performing your operation."

What an absolute idiot!!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Problem I see is many in fast food are IDIOTS.

Before I got my degree I was supervisor in a burger stand.

And under me were many stubborn, stupid, ignorant and insubordinate, dirty morons. The sort who will likely always be on minimum wage because they cant even get fast food right.

Without the threat of sacking them on the sport for breaking food hygiene laws there is no way I could have cajoled these lumbering fools into washing there hands.
edit on 4-2-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

One of my coworkers was in the hospital for two weeks because someone didn't wash their hands properly after using the bathroom.

This is just ludicrous.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

As brought up earlier... How does one regulate "put a sign up," if there are no regulations? Why would a business, under zero pressure to do so, injure itself by putting such information up?

Sure, perhaps "market forces" would eventually garner the place a bad reputation... but before that happens, lots of people are unaware, and are getting sick from the unsanitary practices. Further, there's really not a lot of "reputation" to worry about with large franchise places. A McDonalds off the interstate is likely to never have repeat business, but that's just fine for the restaurant.

I suggest every lunatic who thinks they are espousing "free market" ideals, pick up a copy of Adam Smith and actually read it. if he leaves out handwashing, it's only because germ theory of disease wouldn't be accepted until a century after "Wealth of nations" was published.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NotMoose

Of course regulation doesn't force anyone to wash their hands.

The government regulations just mean that if someone gets sick, or witnesses bad sanitation, all it takes is a phone call to get the place shut down for an investigation or inspected by the health department, respectively.

Since the owners (or at least managers) of the establishment clearly don't want to deal with this issue, the pressure on them translates into pressure on their employees to practice good sanitation. An employee who can't figure out how to keep clean gets to go home.

Plus, the regulation requires information posted on how to properly sanitize. This allows a lot of self-policing among the employees, because in all honesty, most people don't want to make other people ill. Basic human decency is a thing. so you have a sign up saying "hot water. Lots of soap. don't use your wipe rag to dry off" stuff like that. Even the dimmest bulb in the bunch can catch on when it's right in front of their face.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join