It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS is alienating its audience

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
While i wouldn't consider myself an avid viewer of the NLBS series, i do watch the occasional video and read some of the threads. It would appear to me that NLBS is starting to alienate a part of its audience through videos aimed at disproving some conspiracy theories or forming conclusions of others. By researching and forming a conclusion of the information presented in a frame of roughly 10 minutes, people are starting to become wary and perhaps alienated. Especially so considering NLBS is a product of ATS.

People who subscribe to different theories or beliefs pertaining to a particular topic covered by NLBS may feel isolated or unwelcome when NLBS, on behalf of ATS, determines what is and is not correct. I don't think this is a particularly healthy development for a video series belonging to a forum where people can communicate their own ideas and opinions. I think it would be better for NLBS not to come to hard conclusions on alternative topics, but rather present the information and let viewers decide for themselves.

I don't think it is a particularly sound strategy to present a video series which may come to conclusions in opposition to a range of members on an affiliated forum. It is only natural that some people will feel restricted or opposed by these videos, as the positions expressed on NLBS are usually upheld and promoted by ATS and some of its staff.

This is just my opinion, but it is something i have noticed. Member comments on NLBS threads will show some discontent.
edit on 2-2-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Haven't watched one yet, don't intend to. If anything the only reason I even have any comment at all on NLBS is because I find it extremely irritating when I accidently click outside of the intended window on a mobile device and an NLBS video pops up. Seriously. It's irritating. Change it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
NLBS is nothing more than a ploy to stir the pot and produce conversation, that drives views.

Considering this site is ad supported its not a huge surprise.

With that said, i do watch some of the videos and take the info with a tablespoon of salt. Alienating? No, making me open my eyes and use more of my brain, yes. After all isn't that what were here for? I am.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I don't let it bother me if they state something I don't believe is true on there. I will just show evidence to contradict what they have concluded. Everyone has their beliefs, even the people on NLBS. If evidence shows me that what I know is wrong, I will do an investigation to check the pertinence of the evidence given and try to figure the motive for the creation of the evidence. There is not always a clear yes or no to things, just a blurred interpretation of evidence. In the highest sects of this society their are people who are believing evidence that does not apply to things. You need to look at all the evidence, not just what one group supplies. Also remember that something is real if it is accepted by the right people but that does not make it the truth.

The ones that run society and government decide which evidence is able to be used.
edit on 2-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I don't really care if NLBS is dismissive of conspiracy theories or advocating for one thing or another.

They have terrible and unprofessional presentation.

The only video I saw I could only stomach 15 seconds. In that period of time I couldn't count the amount of cursing, poorly conveyed thoughts, and a severe lack of structure.

In other words, its a garbage show and ATS should seriously consider either changing it, or ending it.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I had hoped it would have been more objective when I heard about it so I could listen to stories while driving

I made it through the first four or five and came to the same conclusion as the OP. What gives with the opinionated slant that struck me as closed-minded for ATS?

Who is that ranting person and why should his opinion matter any more than any kook?

I give it neither stars no flags. I suppose I'd give it the finger if there was a button?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

How is it any different than people making threads with their own opinions and conclusions on things?

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's unfortunate that, after extensive research from a wide range of sources, that we can't always find conclusions you agree with.

Let it be clear, we're never going to pander to any specific audience other than that who would like to hear the truth. Sometimes, for conspiracy-minded people, it's difficult to accept contradictory viewpoints… and that's unfortunate.

We take no positions or state no conclusions lightly. And quite often we approach topics expecting an outcome that is very different from where we end up.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mcChoodles

I give it neither stars no flags. I suppose I'd give it the finger if there was a button?

I've advocated for a 5 Star button and may start a thread to see how popular it will be or if it flies with the admin/owners...

And when I do, with your permission I'd like to also suggest a "give them the finger" button as well...
Because that's a fantastic idea.

Haven't smiled like that all day until I read your post.

So thanks.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Well, i don't particularly mind what conclusions NLBS draws. I'm just pointing out that some people seem to be quite agitated or alienated as a result of the conclusions and statements made in the videos. It's probably not a good thing when one considers that this is a forum made up of people with a variety of opinions and ideas, some of which may be in opposition to those espoused by NLBS and supported by ATS.

I thought this topic was worth raising for the points considered. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
For Christ sake it's the internet.....

I'm always amused at the things some people get all butt hurt about in the world of cyberspace.

Content comes and goes for the most capricious of reasons.

Enjoy the www and it's free and open content while you can. It's going to change in the near future.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

it sounds like you are suggesting that political interests take precedence over truth (even if that truth is personal).

Me? If i disagree with something, i disagree with it. A lot of my opinions here are popular. Many are not. I don't think anyone agrees with me on the southern border issue, for example.

Just my $0.02, but I don't look to ATS, or any other grouping, for validation. Truth is validation enough.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

This is ATS.

This is not a place where one comes to hear ones own arguments parroted back at ones own ears, out of some desire to be validated in ones understanding of the world. To the contrary, it is a place where one comes to learn the many different ways a subject can be viewed, depending on the experience and education level of the observer. It is a place to share opinions, yes, all of these things. But it is not the place to come if you want to hear only that which conforms to your manner of thinking, or indeed to any particular view widely held within any demographic of users of the site.

If users are really that upset about these videos, then I have to say that I am somewhat concerned for those individuals, because such frailty of conviction is a sad thing to see. However, I support NLBS, and the freedom of the people who are responsible for its creation, to decide how to make the videos, what to feature, and their choice to publish the results, even when they are not what are expected by the creators themselves, or indeed by the membership.

Ignorance cannot be denied, if one ignores the evidence of ones own eyes or reason.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The thing that really bothers me about it is that it's an ATS production, posted on ATS and they're allowed to do what ever they want without worrying about the T&C. I'm pretty certain if I posted a video with such an absurd amount of profanity the thread would be removed, and I would a nice message from the mods.
Double standards aren't cool.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

There is no double standard. Videos have been allowed with cussing long before NLBS. In fact the video posted today with America F..k yeah song is still up and I doubt they have any reason to take it down.

The point you are making has been brought up and addressed several times by SkepticOverlord and others.

I think it goes something like this. It is one thing to have a video you have to click on to watch and entirely another to have the words immortalised on the screen.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I agree with the OP on the way NLBS is presented. They are clearly trying to be a definitive source for topics, reviewing the 'evidence' and making a hard and fast conclusion. It isn't clear why NLBS should be considered an 'expert' source of information on so many topics. I think that style of presentation is going to alienate a significant amount of people. Someone might agree on 1 or 2 or 3 shows, but find show 4 completely wrong. That reduces their 'value' of the shows opinions. After enough shows where they don't agree I bet most people stop tuning in.

Getting into short video production is a great way to step forward. The world isn't going to stay at posting on threads forever. I think a show where two people debate the evidence and leave viewers to decide who won the debate with more 'evidence' would find more traction long term. People can always finish a show thinking their opinion is right or be swayed to a new opinion if so inclined. Possibly shows built off of previous ATS threads working through both sides of opinions and coming to a 'soft' conclusion until more evidence is presented. Ties in ATS users unlike the current format especially when ATS users get quoted. No matter what the 'We know Everything' format isn't going to fly for long.

The side bars on ATS where clicking anywhere leads you to NLBS are considered deceptive advertising. Click boxes should not be larger than the ad itself. Click ads should not cover entire sites either. Many people complain about it. You have to balance advertising with upsetting people, especially mobile users who have a very limited screen space to play with...and are the future of the internet.

Just a couple more cents...good luck with NLBS and trying to innovate! So far I don't like it...
edit on 2-2-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

How is it any different than people making threads with their own opinions and conclusions on things?

That is my take on it as well.

It is just like any other thread to me.

If it is a topic of interest for me I will watch or read, if not I won't.

If I agree or not doesn't change my perspective of the author though.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I only watched it once, because of the subject matter and what I would consider the one-sided dis/mis-information content. I will probably never watch it again unless they come up an equally IMHO ridiculous single-sided theme. If I were running that show however, I would probably do much the same as they have done with regards to controversial subject matter, however, I would not pick a side. Rather I would balance it with both pro and con research and let the viewer decide. As soon as you pick a side, you might as well call it what it is, propaganda.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
Rather I would balance it with both pro and con research and let the viewer decide. As soon as you pick a side, you might as well call it what it is, propaganda.
Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join