It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS is alienating its audience

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I don't go watch nlbs but here's the thing. This thread wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the subject. Objective: stimulate debate.
Result: encourage debate.

edit on 2-2-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
When there is a clear right or wrong it goes against the "deny ignorance" mantra to create the illusion these are open topics. I applaud them for having the balls to stand by their "mission statement" (so to speak) and not pander to the uniformed/paranoid out there. sorry about nothing, that's how I feel.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The HANDS! Over use of hand gestures, condescending, arrogant, and thats from watching about 10 minutes of a few. i get that its a member and this will be read, but if you put yourself out there then prepare to be criticized. A little more professionalism and a little less shoving it down peoples throat will help you be heard. The banner ran me off the site for a while because it wreaks havoc on the smart phone.
But thanks, it did my brain some good escaping the madness and doom on here for a while..

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Can't stand this show. Absolute garbage.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I'm just pointing out that some people seem to be quite agitated or alienated as a result of the conclusions and statements made in the videos. It's probably not a good thing when one considers that this is a forum made up of people with a variety of opinions and ideas, some of which may be in opposition to those espoused by NLBS and supported by ATS.

It seems as though you're suggesting that -- like mainstream media -- we should pander to a specific point of view or mindset, and find ways to tell people what they want to hear.

Now THAT is next level BS.
edit on 2-2-2015 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MDpvc
The thing that really bothers me about it is that it's an ATS production, posted on ATS and they're allowed to do what ever they want without worrying about the T&C. I'm pretty certain if I posted a video with such an absurd amount of profanity the thread would be removed, and I would a nice message from the mods.
Double standards aren't cool.

Why or why are we saddled with repeating the same thing over and over again to people who seem to want to stick with predetermined conclusions that are absolutely wrong.

It's really frustrating, you know?

-sigh- here we go again for the x-hundredth time…

We don't allow swearing in messages on the board, because it's permanent and for the average user, not optional.

We've always allowed non-gratuitous swearing in audio and video productions by members.

They swear on ATS Live (no one outraged)

Members swore in ATS podcasts, even I did (no one outraged)

We swear in an ATS-produced video, everyone losses their minds.

Idiotic.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You must not have gotten the memo. NLBS and ATS admins and mods are much smarter than us and are providing us a service by providing us with an unbiased and thoroughly researched presentation in order to educate us that the gov and big corps are really good and always looking out for our best interest and everyone who disagrees is mentally unstable (perhaps even terrorists).

Sarcasm ended

In other words "move along, nothing to see hear" is what they seem to be pushing.

cough.

edit on 2-2-2015 by johnnyBgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I watched the first few then quit. I didn't like the format. Thought it was biased and sometimes on the wrong side of the issues ( that's ok ) but way to short of snips to be informative. But you can go find the information / truth or not yourself afterwards. Which is what i usually do with threads and news in general. I just like that some topics are brought to light. But yes far to short to be informative.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: MDpvc
The thing that really bothers me about it is that it's an ATS production, posted on ATS and they're allowed to do what ever they want without worrying about the T&C. I'm pretty certain if I posted a video with such an absurd amount of profanity the thread would be removed, and I would a nice message from the mods.
Double standards aren't cool.

Why or why are we saddled with repeating the same thing over and over again to people who seem to want to stick with predetermined conclusions that are absolutely wrong.

It's really frustrating, you know?

-sigh- here we go again for the x-hundredth time…

We don't allow swearing in messages on the board, because it's permanent and for the average user, not optional.

We've always allowed non-gratuitous swearing in audio and video productions by members.

They swear on ATS Live (no one outraged)

Members swore in ATS podcasts, even I did (no one outraged)

Idiotic.

T&C aside. Alot of people (even in this day and age heaven forbid) are turned off by profanity. It is a display in immaturity and lack of self control (especially in a media production). It is also a crutch that is used by people who lack in the verbal skills necessary to relay a coherent message using actual verbs, nouns, adjectives and such.

If you market to the lowest common denominator than you diminish the overall quality of your audience because the more intelligent and mature people turn off. Perhaps that is your intention? Sway the most easily swayed and deter any real intelligent debate by alienating those among us who still retain the ability to think for themselves in a critical and perhaps even non conformative way?

Just my thoughts on the matter, but for a bit of balance and perspective, I must also say that if If I was a trusting soul and not a suspicious one I certainly would not lurk about in places like this.

edit on 3-2-2015 by johnnyBgood because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Some episodes I like, some I don't. Just like a TV I can turn it off or watch something else instead.

When I have disagreed with NLBS guy and posted on ATS I didn't feel threatened or assaulted or alienated by the responses.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

It IS pandering to a specific point of view or mindset, and you ARE telling some people what they want to hear.

Indeed it IS the next level of BS.

And it feels like a college joke show at times...I cant bring myself to watch another episode.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
I'm just pointing out that some people seem to be quite agitated or alienated as a result of the conclusions and statements made in the videos. It's probably not a good thing when one considers that this is a forum made up of people with a variety of opinions and ideas, some of which may be in opposition to those espoused by NLBS and supported by ATS.

It seems as though you're suggesting that -- like mainstream media -- we should pander to a specific point of view or mindset, and find ways to tell people what they want to hear.

Now THAT is next level BS.

That's BS.

If you had properly read my OP, you would know i said that:

"I think it would be better for NLBS not to come to hard conclusions on alternative topics, but rather present the information and let viewers decide for themselves."

That is hardly pandering to any specific group or opinion. That is letting people decide for themselves, without having some official conclusion drawn by the staff and affiliates of a website which has members who hold a variety of opinions on the topics covered.

I think i made myself clear. I'm not suggesting that you or NLBS should do one thing or another. I am saying that NLBS, which is a product of The Above Network, has the potential to alienate ATS members by forming conclusions which may oppose many of the opinions of the site's readership. ATS welcomes many opinions and ideas, and when NLBS forms its own conclusions of which the staff predominantly agree with, it may cause some members to feel discontent with it and the site. Indeed, it would appear that a lot of ATS members do not hold positive opinions of NLBS already.
edit on 3-2-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Perhaps it is that we expect the same level of decorum that is expected of us. Your dismissive and hostile attitude toward this issue is duly noted.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The Internet can please all your entertainment needs. If you don't like NLBS don't watch it, there is a YouTube channel out there for you. Or maybe make your own? It will fail or survive on its own merits.

We have so much choice nowadays, we have come to expect a standard that is out of the reaches of most amateurs. Very few can compete with the likes of John Stewart and the like, if they did, they'd have a show themselves. That's why certain media types get paid so much, because their talent commands it.

Ats is not a major media outlet yet some have the expectations that it should be providing similar quality content as the big players . It doesn't work like that

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I have to admit to only adding to one Thread since it started.

I don't really like the rude way it pops up on ATS as if telling me I need or have to go there... if they changed that and just posted it as usual with the others, i might take more of a look!

Plus its more for those in the USA and i'm in London England.
edit on CSTTue, 03 Feb 2015 08:07:48 -0600u2808x048x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Just because this is generally a conspiracy site and there are many conspiracy theorists here, that doesn't mean that we should believe every theory that comes along. If there's credible debunking information, we should debunk it and call BS! That's what critical thinking is all about.

I like NLBS (I don't always watch it and I don't always agree with Joe) and have disagreed and posted disagreement, and have never felt anything negative about it.

If you don't like it, for whatever reason, don't open the video. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly not alienating me. I think it's a pretty cool addition to the site. I hate the video links along the side!!! But hey, it's not my site and I'll deal with it.

I have many years' experience disagreeing with ATS, and sticking with it anyway. They're not here to model their behavior around me.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Sometimes, for conspiracy-minded people, it's difficult to accept contradictory viewpoints… and that's unfortunate.

Huh? I mean, all this time I thought it was the other way around...

People become conspiracy theorists BECAUSE they want other viewpoints than the official story.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Maybe tackling larger subjects over multiple episodes, subjects that would not have a final conclusion, would give some people a little more food for thought and would stimulate a more explorative conversation instead of a debate over the episodes conclusion being right or wrong.

I've watched them, and have enjoyed a few due to my interest in the subject manner. I understand a lot of time is put into them so subject matter and depth are probably always being balanced with the time you have to present your analysis. I can say though that I'd be willing(and possibly others) to watch and follow a topic over several episodes if you so decide to tackle some larger and deeper issues.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
NLBS lost my attention after the third or fourth video.

I can look past the juvenile language...but I don't understand why the creators insist on sacrificing credibility in effort to 'sound cool' or whatever.

I can look past the inexperience and evolving format. That's to be expected with any such endeavor. The host (Joe is

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Haven't watched one yet, don't intend to. If anything the only reason I even have any comment at all on NLBS is because I find it extremely irritating when I accidently click outside of the intended window on a mobile device and an NLBS video pops up. Seriously. It's irritating. Change it.

Uh uh! Still counts as a 'site visit'.

Gotcha.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join