It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we judged so harshly?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I notice in many places that my Generation ( lets say from 1990-2010) gets talked down upon by the older generations. Of course there are the nut heads who present bad manners and disrespect to their peers and elders, but these people are present in every generation. I see many highlights in are generation that could help us change the world.

I have witness many prodigies just in my own area where I live. In fact a guy in my grade was given a record deal along with his brother and sister this last August. I have read articles of Teens inventing products that will end up helping society. My generation shows a lot of potential, now potential doesn't always lead to success, but I believe we can achieve greatness.

A lot of the blame of my generation's laziness is technology and social media. And yes social media and technology have made some people lazy, but being exposed with technology has made my generation smarter too. I have witnessed this with my younger cousins, who had figured out how to work an Iphone at the ages of 2 and 3. The mischievous teens who hack and modify scripts with technology also causes blame upon my generation. But, what people don't realize is that you have to be fairly smart to be able to do this, and as theses teens mature they will become excellent programers when they get older. I believe that the talk about social media makes my generation less social is bull crap.
I've always been kind of shine, but since becoming a member on a streaming website called twitch I have become a lot more social, I even went to a gaming event to meet some friends on twitch that I had only had the chance to chat with online before then. From what I have noticed so far, my generation is extremely sociable, which will hep us work together to accomplish goals and conquer problems.

It seems that when my generation gets talked about, people are only referring to the U.S. why not talk about the generation that covers the whole globe? We can't all be bad. With the inclusion of social media, many of my generation are becoming friends with people from different countries, this will be valuable because it will allow our generation to work together with others in different countries to help complete projects etc.

Many people believes something major will happen in the next couple of decades or so. I believe my generation will change the world. One of my favorite themes comes from the book Ender's Game where Ender'e brother Peter says age doesn't matter when changing the world, a person just needs to be in the right place at the right time after the right event, and if you read the Shadow series, you can see Peter put that into action. At my school itself I notice that my classmates see through the government (U.S) and it's lies, many of them want to be politicians to help change that. Personally, I plan to change the field of meteorology and it's relationship with the public and helping communities become safer during natural disasters.

This negativity against my generation needs to stop.
It's will only make our generation worse. And if you really worried about my generation (at least in the U.S) then you guys need to fight for reforming our colleges, which is where a lot of the corruption occurs.

My generation is still very young, we should not be judged at this point because most of us are still in middle school and high school. It hurts me every time I hear, or read or watch adults talk down on my generation while we haven't even had the chance to make an impact on society yet. The purpose of this rant was to enlightening people not to judge my generation yet and not to lose hope on us, because we may surprise you of what we can do.
edit on 26-1-2015 by IngyBall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Come back and rewrite this rant when you've had to walk 5 miles to school in the snow... Uphill BOTH ways.

Until then, suck it up and take it just like every other generation has before yours. It's the nature of the beast and it does happen with each and every generation that graces this planet of ours. NEVER will you read (in history or in the future) about the new generation being the saving grace. Not ever.

It is what it is.

But seriously... Your generation does suck just a little more than mine did. ( See?
)
edit on 1/26/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: IngyBall

Wow LOL. It may not be your generation that dips to such disparaging lows on the intelligence scale, but when you are 80 (if you live to be 80 considering the state of the food, air and GMO's), look at the people who are taking care of you. They will more than likely be the direct equivalent of characters portrayed in the movie.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

That's a terribly scary thought. Take Nurse Ratched, combine in Idiocracy and people will be leaping to their own deaths in droves to avoid what could be. Who would want to survive life only to wind up in that horrid nightmare?!

I might have a bit of trouble sleeping tonight just thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I can tell you are being biased of your own generation, like I said my generation is still to young to be compared to the other generations. Why do I have to walk through snow to have experience with hardships? I have had to overcome many things in my life. I have had to overcome asthma my whole life, and that's while playing football at the same time. I have a writing disability called dysgraphia, which causes my hand writing to be in-legible to many people, which has hurt my grades, but even with that disability I still have managed to get straight A's many years in school. My latest triumph was in October where I missed over a month of school and still was able to maintain above a 3.0 GPA. Despite my hardships, I have managed to have been awarded a full tuition scholarship to Ohio State University.

Btw walking 5 miles up and down hill in the snow is nothing, try practicing football for 5 hours a day for 6 days a week for 3 weeks with temperatures exceeding 110 degrees and heat indexes reaching 120 degrees on some days. So don't tell me what to or not to experience before I become credible, because I have had my fair share of hard times in my 18 years of life.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

what kanga said. my parents used that line, but by the time i came around the hill was straightened out but i still had to walk to school.

then the Texas Instrument Calculator came out, but we had to leave them at home .

cos if we got caught with them they were gone until after detention, and then we walked home in the snow.

so chin up.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

So your going to use a movie to to prove a point of my generations being stupid? Well keep saying negative things about my generation, you'll get two options. You'll either reap what you sow, or you will just motivate us, your choice.

It's sad, I might be the youngest person on ATS, which means everyone will disagree with me. By the way, I might not look like the healthiest person, but I eat extremely healthy because if I kept eating the trash available I would probably be dead already.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Wow... I was trying to lighten things up a bit with some humor. I thought there'd be no way in the world anyone could take it other than that. I should have known better because my generation taught us what happens when we ASSuME things.

I guess the only advice I could give after that would be to try and avoid the victim mentality that so many IN EVERY GENERATION seem to thrive on. Show me someone who hasn't had their fair share if disappointments while growing into adulthood and I will eat crow... Literally.

Embrace those experiences because they will make you who you are and you will be stronger for it. Being bitter about it does nothing but make life feel like a millstone around your neck day in and day out. It's not worth it but most don't realize that until the millstone has become a part of them and they can't let it go because it is their whole identity.

Lighten up. My post was not intended to be taken the way that you obviously took it. I was trying to make a point that every generation is complained about as failures and detriments to the future as we perceive it. Every adult had heard the same complaints you have. It's just the way it's always been.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Well sorry I couldn't hear the sarcasm in your voice. And I think your wrong, why should I dwell on my negative experiences? One should learn from them, then move on, not embrace them. And I wasn't bitter about it, I was telling you that you just can't assume that I haven't had to overcome things like you have. By the way, saying come back back and rewrite a thread after doing something doesn't sound like humor at all. It sounds more arrogant than anything.

And maybe that's what's wrong with generations before mine, they have been talked about negatively by other generations that they end up not achieving the goals they had set out to achieve. Like I said, you reap what you sow, so I suggest the the generations to stop being negative to the ones beneath them just because it was done to them. My main point of this thread was that the complaining of generations needs to stop. I'm sorry if that wasn't obvious to you.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Apology accepted.

As the mother of a 17 year old daughter, it would do me little good to bad mouth her generation. Perhaps maybe we shouldn't ASSuME that everyone does it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I never said everyone does it, now your taking words out of my mouth I never said. But, a lot of people do talk down about my generation, in fact a guy on the radio was just putting down my generation as I thought about making this thread. I don't know if books have been made about how bad your generation was going to be, but they have definitely been made for my generation, and when people in my generation start believing what adults tell them about their generation, then the people in my generations start to lose hope on their own generation.
This type of thinking can be a nightmare scenario for my generation, and it won't stop until the older generations stop being so negative.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Do you guys realize you are proving OP right?

Pretty much every reply has been talking down to OP.

Its pretty sad when the "elders" are the ones being immature.

Damn whippersnappers, get off my lawn!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Wow... I was trying to lighten things up a bit with some humor. I thought there'd be no way in the world anyone could take it other than that.

You brought that upon yourself by giving the younger generation too much credit

Which in a way...
Also invalidates the OP & their persecution complex after their less than generous response to what was clearly a bit of banter.

& having read further the continuously confrontational manner of the OP is also a highlight of the younger generations over inflated sense of self worth.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

You should embrace the hardships you suffer, the same hardships we all suffer through so that you may help another make it through and carry the ball so to speak. We do all make mistakes and mostly the same mistakes but they are different each time because of who is pushing through that particular struggle at that moment.

Embrace the mistakes not wallow in self pity and yes learn from them and continue to move forward. Maintain awareness of those struggles and mistakes so the next time you encounter a similar set of circumstances you can breeze through them and teach those caught in the same quagmire how you did it so that they can pass along how they did it.

Funny Kang in using that adage as it is one I heard from my Stepfather many times and always with some new twist. I admit to using it myself with some of the younger ones around but in similar fashion as you with dripping sarcasm.

And young Ingy, the most important thing you can learn is how to listen...not only to those that surround you but to yourself. Learn from everyone no matter their age as everyone has something to bring to the table. Don't back down from something because someone offers criticism, listen as politely as you can without screaming and do it your way, it will either work or not work, either way have learned a lesson in life.

As stated every generation suffers from envy of the one before just as every generation has it easier than those that come behind them. Make no mistakes that every generation benefits from itself as well as those behind and those who are the current leaders, it is just simply too hard for some of us to remember that and too hard for some of us to admit that we really don't know it all.
edit on 1/26/2015 by DJMSN because: correction

And allow me to add that I for one do not believe your generation is any worse than mine, (late 80's and 90's I was in your age group). I believe contributions have already been made by many in your age group. I see them everyday as I am surrounded by your age group in the military. This country has been in a bad situation for 12 plus long years and many have volunteered to serve during this period of war, many have made the ultimate sacrifice just as other generations before them but with a very large difference...they volunteered.

Criticism or judgement is just a part of life, I am still judged and criticized every day by many different age groups so expect the worst and only accept the best from yourself as well as those around you no matter the age as their are always those who cannot accept change and make the most of it.
edit on 1/26/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: IngyBall
I have witness many prodigies just in my own area where I live.

Sorry, but I cannot stop myself.

"I have witness.....".

".....in my own area where I live."

Really?

How about "I have witnessed many prodigies that come from where I live." ?

-NF

[ If friends won't stop friends from using blatantly poor english...who will? Should we trust anything to them? ]
edit on 26-1-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Well I wouldn't have seen confrontational if I hadn't felt I had been attacked by her post, I was defending myself, and exactly how was my response not generous? Nothing in my response sounds aggressive. Just like Deadcow said, all your comments have been negative towards me, so if my comments seem negative towards you guys then that's probably why. It seems like you guy's understand the saying You Reap What you Sow.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

So your saying my imperfectness invalidates my opinion/fact? Not to mention I'm sick in bed as I'm typing this. Show me one perfect person living on earth right now, since you seem to be saying you have to be perfect in order to state a fact or an opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I think your lack of courtesy, your disregard for motherhood (which was the focal point of the analogy, not "walking in snow") & your inability to understand humour even when someone uses the cheeky
smiley...

As well as you focusing on complaining about older generations for complaining about your generation really invalidated your whole point!

I let the sowers sow, & I let the reaper reap...

edit on 26-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Like I said, I learn from my hardships, but to embrace them means you have to dwell on them at some point, which is not what should be done. Instead I remember my best times and how blessed I am. I understand that other generations have went through the same criticism as ours. But I'm saying the older generations need to stop it, the negativity is hurting our generations, just because your generation went through the same things does not give you excuse to do the same to ours. And I do listen to what most people say, but I will not listen to the negativity I have seen in this thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

And this is what I'm talking about, you think my post are impolite, they are not. I'm not complaining about generations complaining about my generations, I'm telling you guys to stop it. It's not helping us. And I'm not going to understand everyone's humor, to me her humor came off as an insult, humor to the both of you is different than humor to me. And in not any of my posts have I insulted anyone.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join