It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do YOU cope with Anxiety?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Well, you certainly are not boring me and I would consider you still doing a good deed by providing this invaluable information for a nominal price; a price mostly all people could afford.

There's that 'everything in moderation' wise words again.
edit on 26-1-2015 by InTheLight because: another thought to be added

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

People do not realize that different foods effect our moods so much. When I started this search for the properties of foods I had no idea how strong the effect of foods on mood and thinking could be. I guess people do not pay attention and feel there is no effect because they did not seem to get a severe buzz off of them. These foods many times effect your comprehension more than a few mixed drinks would.

The thing is that people get used to the feeling and choose foods based on how they want to feel at the time. Everyone knows how chocolate makes you feel, not realizing the effect is actually way more than they think it is. Foods can be used to calm anyone, a glass of milk is a good beta blocker and slows down the adrenal gland. We do not sit down and evaluate how it makes us feel. I did just that with many foods. I learned that what is told is healthy for us is most often calming foods, not necessarily healthy foods. The need for a calm society is greater than anyone's personal health. Drink that glass of milk, it is good for society.

This has been going on for a very long time. It is not new. If I had not been trying to control my epilepsy, I would have never known of this. When the health guidelines say a food is healthy investigate what calming chemistry the food has. Too much of this calming chemistry is bad for us though. There is a definite chemical change in the body from eating different foods and some of these chemistries can clash and cause problems.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I believe it, and isn't is horrible that people with anxiety or depression often turn to alcohol for 'dutch courage' or to self medicate?

Alcoholism may cause a relapse in people with depression. The depressive symptoms from alcohol are greatest when a person first stops drinking. So people recovering from alcoholism who have a history of depression should be carefully monitored during the early stages of withdrawal; the symptoms of depression are greatly reduced after three to four weeks of stopping drinking.

psychcentral.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

An enzyme to process tyramines uses copper to do it's job. Alcohol is a tyramine, a creation of aging or fermentation. Copper enzymes turn the alcohol to feel good neurochemicals. When doing this, the body flushes copper out because alcohol makes you pee. Along with that goes lots of microminerals. Molybdenum is in beer, because of the grains it is made from. But copper can not be adequate.

The body could take in extra copper but too much would tend to make you depressed. Not enough might make you anxious. So try eating some liver and onions. It is high in many vitamins and minerals. Now if eating that depresses you, at least you won't be anxious.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
For me- regular exercise is a must, and meditation.

Time alone in nature (or with my dog or horse).

In my case, I have not given up on social interaction and pressure situations, I keep pushing myself further into uncomfortable anxiety-provoking contexts, trying to do it bit by bit, in order to learn how to respond. I find that just learning behaviors that respond to others and events effectively actually cuts down the anxiety in the long run. If I feel confident that I can deal with whatever comes up, I find myself much more relaxed.

That is, however, a more difficult choice than to just run from it- I often think I'd love to stay at home, drink and smoke and pet my dog instead. But I have another part that really really loves people in general and wants to be involved in life, so that pushes me to continue trying to overcome my challenges.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
There may be some specific reason beneath this anxiety issue, and it is necessary for the physician to know about the causes of the problem. Anxiety disorders occur concerning double as usually in females as males, and usually begin throughout childhood. Agoraphobia is that the specific anxiety regarding being in an exceedingly place or scenario wherever escape is troublesome or embarrassing or wherever facilitate is also untouchable. The panic disorder folks with this condition have feelings of terror that strike suddenly and repeatedly without any warning. Alternative the symptoms of a fearfulness embrace sweating, chest pain, palpitations and a sense of choking, which can create a person desire.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
When you try too hard to control your anxieties, you only heighten them. Instead, exaggerate them and see what happens. For instance, if you fear that your mind will go blank during a presentation, fake it intentionally in the middle of your next one. Say, “Gee, what was I just saying?” Notice how this makes no difference. It’s nothing to worry about, right? I did this at a lecture once and no one raised an eyebrow.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
My widowed mother has extreme anxiety and hoarder issues. She knows what her problems are and is unwilling to do the work or spend the money to change. She tries to shove her problems on to me. Being near her a week makes my eye twitch. I live 510 miles away so this only happens twice a year, fortunately. Happiness and peace comes from with in. You get to choose what matters and is important to you, you could say "I will worry about this some other day, or tomorrow." The things my mother worries about I could care less about. I think walking daily, less alcohol, charity work, volunteer work, a new hobby, less violent TV, less social media, hot baths, could help. Maybe you have a hormone fluctuation? Caring about others takes the focus off yourself. Simplify your life. Get a doctor's advice. Best of Luck to you! We all have problems so don't worry so much. It means you are alive.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Shattering mirrors really takes the edge off an anxiety outburst (pun fully intended) I also find doors to be much more pliable & forgiving than walls.
I wish the little plastic covers to the AC vents in my jeep were still there, smashing those things as hard as I could with my fist seemed to really help in the moment

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
A great way to keep our minds off the worry track is to focus our thoughts on things that are good, beautiful, and positive. Allow yourself to dream, wish, and imagine the best that could happen.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ChefSlug

I try to imagine a span of 100 years. I see myself and my world dissipate in that time, new things pop up to replace us. I remind myself that the most important person on earth today will not even be a distant memory in enough time. That we are all mortal and temporal and even our entire civilization will be as nothing in enough time.

I then feel myself in a sea of universe. I find myself slipping away into something more. I then let go of everything that is me or that I think is me....when that person is gone I seem to remain. There is a universal me that is timeless and infinite. That is who I turn to when I have anxiety. God is that person in a way, prophets and saints....all that is sacred. All sacred thought and all mysteries both revealed and yet to be found. Spirituality is the consciousness of that person here and now. A bridge to that thing I was, am and will be but that for some reason I seem to forget when life creeps back in to my mind bringing here and now with it.

Today I was bogged down. Out of drive. This week has kicked my ass all over the place. Today I was spent...and stressed. I could just snap. I had to go further, when I am like this, I need to see farther than 100 years. I need to see time until it is as nothing. I need to see that universal me until he is as nothing. There is something more I can just make out. Its so far away that I can get lost in it with just a glimpse. THAT is what is beyond the repeating infinity.

I can get lost in that. Forget the broken me and see something that is more than even my ultimate form. I am not ready for it, though it calls to me. Maybe I call out to it. I dont know. But it makes anything I am going through just another thing of this universe I will overcome.

You need to see a bigger picture. You need to find that perfect state in your mind....whether it is attainable or not, just KNOW there is more. In most cases that is enough to make you dig deep and find the strength you seek.

Dont give up. Dont forget. Hold it down where ever you can. Commit to your war and become the warrior, the weapon and the cause. The victory and even your honored enemies defeat. BE all things.

You are not alone. You are not the only one. The you that you are now is not the you that will know how to fix you. The broken you exists as a means to achieve the ultimate you. Remember though....there is more even after that. Something wonderful that can not even be understood from where we stand. We will need to go there...just take the first step.

Have a good one.
Hold it down.

EDIT TO ADD:
This is from Dune... I say this almost daily to myself. I am actually a scared child deep down inside. This makes that scared thing smile back at the evils that touch my core. This makes me become me.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Find your inspiration everywhere you can.

Be well sir. I have FAITH that you will overcome false hopes....and that you will find true purpose and happiness with that function you chose being completed in you.

edit on 3 19 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Meditation is awesome for my anxiety as well as yoga which I just do in the comfort of my own home.

Learning how to take a moment, clear the head and just focus on your breathing can make such a huge difference. It takes a bit of getting used to and for you to tune out all the outside noise but once you get into the swing of it, it becomes pretty natural.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
There are effective and easy ways you can use to manage anxiety effectively. Below, experts shared healthy ways to cope with anxiety naturally.
www.trivedieffect.com...

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I try to distract myself if I have a lot of anxiety. I was taking valium for a while,and I've also taken ativan. Both work, but they can't be taken long term. So the only other way I can cope is keeping busy and distraction.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
hmm Anxiety. I guess we all suffer from it, from time to time. Some to a bigger extent, some to a lesser.

It's kindof funny.. Anxiety is a state of mind, just like happyness or any other state of mind. Yet nobody seems ot have a problem coping with happyness.

The other day I was scheduled for a treatment of one of my teeth at the dental surgeon. Now I'm sortof OK with the dentist, but the dental surgeon was something new for me. I had no idea what exactly was going to happen, except they were going to be cutting in my gum and that it was like a little operation. I was pretty anxious about it.

So the anxiety kindof started building about 2 weeks in advance. It's amazing the kind of crazy scenarios your mind comes up with if you let it have it's way. In fact was kindof longing for the treatment to be over, so I could settle back into normalcy again.

Then I discovered that if I stopped pushing back on my mind to make all the anxiety- thoughts stop, and just let whatever wants to pop up in my mind come as it is, it just stopped all by itself.

So give it a try. Be open to whatever thoughts come up, give them free reign. Face your fears, so to speak, and see what they're really made of. Sit down and let whatever wants to happen happen. Be aware of exactly what happens, how it feels in your body. Every anxious thought comes with a certain feeling in your body. See where the feeling shows up, and allow the feeling to be there.. examine it. Become conscious of the whole process in your whole body and mind. Don't try to control anything, but gently pay attention to what happens.

That really helped me a lot. At a certain point I recognized the pattern. As soon as those anxious thoughts started popping up again, I was like 'Oh there's that monster again'. Once you recognize it and see it for what it is, it goes away by itself. It's amazing how repetitive those patterns are.. it's the same mental nonsense over and over again, and it can only do it's thing as long as it's in the dark. But once you shine the light of consciousness on it, it dissipates like snow in the sun.

edit on 520158 by payt69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
There is some good advice on this thread,

I first experience of anxiety/panic attacks happened during mid-late high school in an exam room,
and proceed to have them for many years after.
My anxiety virtually always occurred in enclosed spaces with people so planes, seminar rooms, packed elevators, etc.
So far I am probably verging on 3 years panic attack free.

For me the key was finding the trigger for the anxiety.
Which in my case I found to be stimulants in particular caffeine.
Giving up coffee wasn't something I wanted to do, but it's been well worth it (although admittedly I do still make use of alcohol in most short term social environments (Eg. First dates, etc). However now I currently live in a city with over 3 million people, attend uni, travel in densely packed trains regularly, as well travel often via plane completely panic attack free.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   
For me, i'd like to listen some musics and sleep, sometimes i will choose to eat. In a word, drinking is not a good choice. But if you really can not take it easy, maybe you should try some drugs, like anxiety peptide.

CX

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
My "go to" de-stressers are guitar playing or crochet...making a blanket puts me in the zone

CX.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Booze, Green, loose ladies and cat and monkey vids.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join