It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German scientists invent teleporter that can ‘beam’ simple objects to another location

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Teleportation has been the holy grail of transport for decades, ever since Mr Scott first beamed up Captain Kirk and his crew in the 1966 opening episode of Star Trek. Now the technology may have been cracked in real life … sort of.

Scientists from the Hasso Plattner Institute in Potsdam have invented a real-life teleporter system that can scan in an object and “beam it” to another location.

Not quite the dematerialisation and reconstruction of science fiction, the system relies on destructive scanning and 3D printing.

The Headline is very deceptive....

That's not real teleportation! That's creating an entirely new object that just looks like the one scanned. Nothing is beamed!

Still technology marches on and the applications for this devise is astonishing.

edit on 23-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

Teleportation has been the holy grail of transport for decades, ever since Mr Scott first beamed up Captain Kirk and his crew in the 1966 opening episode of Star Trek. Now the technology may have been cracked in real life … sort of.

Scientists from the Hasso Plattner Institute in Potsdam have invented a real-life teleporter system that can scan in an object and “beam it” to another location.

Not quite the dematerialisation and reconstruction of science fiction, the system relies on destructive scanning and 3D printing.

That's not real teleportation! That's creating an entirely new object that just looks like the one scanned. Nothing is beamed!

Still technology marches on and the applications for this devise is astonishing.

They have discovered how to send a file containing 3D printing instructions to a 3D printer at a remote location.

Well I freaking never !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Well we may be on our way to developing replicators as advertised by the good ship Enterprise, but not quite the energise function...yet.

Hopefully we'll soon be able to say to the computer,

"Earl Grey, Hot" and indeed it will be so.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

That's still pretty cool....and it's a step closer to teleportation. There should be some tests done on fruit.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
There is nothing new here at all.

3d printers have existed for decades, and have been in the consumer market for several years.

Encrypted tunneling has existed for decades, and is fairly easy to use.

3d scanners have existed for decades.

I don't understand why this would make the news. This is hype for now. It's fairly impractical until the tech gets just a little better in resolution on both ends, the scanning and the printing. Even then, it has nothing to do with "teleportation" as most people think of it. There's no relocation of animate objects, and no small leap that can be made to make that a reality with this technology. It would take entirely new technology from the ground up. Tech that simply does not exist right now, to the best of my knowledge.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I don't know about any of you, but I won't be on the volunteer list to be "destructively scanned".

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So it destroys the original as it creates a copy. Its a 3D fax machine that shreds the original. Whoopee!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

We often hear science fiction is the science of the future, I remember reading in Asimov's books of a future where travel around the planet was made by transfer from one transport booth to another. Maybe someday we will have the science to actually do such a thing!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It's really not a step closer to teleporting. Nothing is 'porting' except computer files.

I scan a photo into my laptop and email it to you. After I hit send I take my paper photo and tear it up. You receive my email, open it and print it.

If that's a step closer to teleporting, then it's been here for a while...

edit on 1232015 by XP100 because: found typo

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

Well we may be on our way to developing replicators as advertised by the good ship Enterprise, but not quite the energise function...yet.

Hopefully we'll soon be able to say to the computer,

"Earl Grey, Hot" and indeed it will be so.

Mmmmmmmm. I can see some problems with this.

What happens if you say "Earl Grey, Hot" and out pops a buff 19th century British aristocrat in a thong!

Forget about asking for a 'hot steaming wiener'

-

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Actually that is what teleportation is but they just have to keep working on it. In every vision i have ever had about it the physical body is being dismantled or destroyed as the information is being recorded then a new body is built at another location. This follows many text in the bible speaking of death and spirits and how we never really die but are just reborn somewhere else. It also ties into parrallel universes and such because our info can be assyembled in other places while we still live here.

It is kinda like the snow flake myth claiming no flake is the sme and the number of patterens is infinite. They are not cause it is a matter of size of lines and space.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I recently saw picture a 3D printed cheese burger, it looked more like something from a cartoon than a real cheese burger. My first thought was we were getting closer to actually having star treks replicator!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Am I reading this right is it possible to send a copy of cameron or bambam somewhere else? Just one of the irritants is enough but I can imagine the potential. Shame we can't yet send the original far far away.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

It gets confusing thinking we can use a replicator with out causing damage. The reason is because every particle has a mate. So when you create something then something somewhere else is also bound to it. The other place where the mate resides may not have the same tech to create it so it will be grown the old fashion way of suffering through life and existance we may have been trying to avoid in the first place but we may never be aware that the steak we replicated has a cosmic mate that was grown and killed just as is today. We would then be fooling ourselves into thinking we are better than we actually are. This also mirrors the bible and how we are here suffering to gain reward later.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
We are all just data inprinted on organic material. Our spirit is something else that is bound to the data and not the organic material so much.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18913210]deadeyedick[/post

Interesting!

I had always thought of the replicator reorganizing existing matter to create a needed item, this being done with raw materials or recycled waste.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

Gee thanks Humans... some mental images just won't go away.

What happens if you say "Earl Grey, Hot" and out pops a buff 19th century British aristocrat in a thong!

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I dunno if this should be in the HOAX bin. . . .

Just sayin it teleports nothing. . . .

Its not even sending anything but scanned information, and why on earth does it destroy the original thats just dumb.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

It is not dumb if you factor in the dualism of particles.
edit on 23-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

It is not dumb if you factor in the dualism of particles.

How is it not dumb exactly?

There is no dualism of particles as it destroys one set.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join