It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is China Building Islands in the South China Sea?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

catching up to the West slowly as they were before

Unfortunatly most of China's coal fields were in remote areas that simply could not be exploited and greatly impacted their industrialization comparative to the West. Thats not a problem anymore lol.

Marry a Chinese women and pray that the change in name is enough to survive the inevitable waves of Chinese genocide

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
werent the US patrolling the south china sea? id want to branch out too if whitey kept dicking around with his toys near my land.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
"With both Russia and China in expansionist moods I find this a worrying development"

This is news to me! Would you mind expanding on this "expansionism"

Russia: Georgia, Ukraine/Crimea
China: look up China's claims vs international standard. They are claiming everything. These islands are being built to steal land/water from their neighbors.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Why is everyone worried about Chinesse development. Compare the short history of the USA to the long history of China. What country has a proven record of aggression. Which one does not....

drop the hype peeps you watch too much tv...

purp..

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri
700+ bases in 100+ nations....

It would be very uncharacteristic of the military arm of the Bank$ter$
to do something neighborly though.

Fortunately with weaponized television in the US the sheeple are
90% onboard with the propaganda.

The main active element of prozac being in the water supply helps too.

As for China they are just getting ready for WW3.

investmentwatchblog.com...

As for the US we are distracted by various entertainments, religion,
and political puppet theater.

edit on 20-1-2015 by Ex_MislTech because: content

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I hardly watch any TV but I do watch the news ,the program was a feature on BBC news.

Why is everyone worried about Chinesse development.

Isn't that what people said about the Nazi's before WW2.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Why is everyone worried about Chinesse development. Compare the short history of the USA to the long history of China. What country has a proven record of aggression. Which one does not....

purp..

That would be China. I think we are worried because they are actively stealing land from their neighbors. Or do you only care about what happens to the country you live in?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: learnatic

To keep the US at bay huh? I dont think so. maybe to grab resources actually. those islands will not have the ability to be outfitted with anything but surface weapons due to how its being created. cant really dig underground bases on them i think. Making them vulnerable.

To set up weapons,? my point exactly, the Chinese are just getting in first because because as history shows the US has set up weapons right on Russia's doorstep which has been doing since wall come down. First in form soviet state as got hold of it then the next and so on.

On this occasion China got in first.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: learnatic

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: learnatic

To keep the US at bay huh? I dont think so. maybe to grab resources actually. those islands will not have the ability to be outfitted with anything but surface weapons due to how its being created. cant really dig underground bases on them i think. Making them vulnerable.

To set up weapons,? my point exactly, the Chinese are just getting in first because because as history shows the US has set up weapons right on Russia's doorstep which has been doing since wall come down. First in form soviet state as got hold of it then the next and so on.

On this occasion China got in first.

This has nothing to do with the US. It's to force their neighbors into giving up territory. You people hate the US so much you support a warmonger because you hope they come out on top in a war with the US .. because you hate war so much.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Having just watched a program on BBC news investigating claims that China is Building new Islands in the South China Sea I thought this is an ominous sign that along with everything else that is happening in the world right now war may well be coming.

China building new islands or not, war is already coming.
It's inevitable and unavoidable.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
It's quite extraordinary how these discussions go.

They start with China's expansionism in a contested area, but clearly outside of China's sphere - 800 miles. Grab an Atlas. There is also acknowledgement that China has many territorial disputes with neighbours and contrary to what the PR machine says, China is expansionist - ask a Tibetan.

They end with. It's the US who are to blame. Not only do they have bases in loads of countries (surely a measure of their diplomacy), but in their short history they have blah, blah, blah. What's that got to do with China's expansionism into the Spratly Islands? Why can't people keep to topic without drifting off into some repetitive rant about the US?

Regards

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
The issues around the Spratleys revolve solely around oil. The only reason for China's interest is because of the oil fields below the Spratley islands - that is why they started building floating bases and now are building artifical islands. This is because of Chinese policies of securing long term energy goals.

It is no different to what other nations do all over the world, the difference being that as the Spratleys are a sort of contested no mans land, it is monitored by armed forces rather than lawyers and corporate suits.

As i said earlier, this has been going on for nearly 20 years now. When the issue first raised its head, top Chinese officals released press statements saying that these fields were a key part of long term Chinese strategy.

I am not saying i condone the Chinese attitude here but equally i can't really criticise it either. In some ways, i had quite a bit of admiration for them when they were playing the "marker buoys" game - sneakyness on an international scale with no casualties......

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

How many governments and democricies has the US collapsed in the last 50 years.. China has been around a very long time. Learn some histroy.

:-)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   

That's from the BBC. Not exactly the most reliable news source...

Remember the faked Tripoli mass-protests against Kaddafi?

Not saying it's all made-up, but they can easily make it bigger than it actually is.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

This has nothing to do with the US. It's to force their neighbors into giving up territory. You people hate the US so much you support a warmonger because you hope they come out on top in a war with the US .. because you hate war so much.

Yikes... you really want to pull the most unbelievable assertions one can't even imagine, don't you?

Half of China is circled by US bases! Adding to this their new military assets in the Phillipines. And that's not accounting all the regular surveillance/intimidation operations around by the US Navy the Air Force, especially since the North Korean non-event in 2013.

Along with the lesser-mlitaristic TPP plan and the whole "Pivot to Asia" plan, China IS indeed facing a huge US/corporate imperialistic offensive along its borders.

edit on 20/1/15 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

If I remember right there is some UN thing dealing with islands, sizes and whether they are sovereign territory that affect national boundaries and how they affect EEZ (exclusive economic zones).

By enlarging Islands China can place military facilities there to reinforce their view that Chinese EEZ is essentially territorial waters.

They are trying to "justify" their claims on almost the entire South China Sea.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
smells lie a troll to me a reply to: Kukri

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
"With both Russia and China in expansionist moods I find this a worrying development"

This is news to me! Would you mind expanding on this "expansionism"

Really? It is? Of course they are. Russia is moving in to claim the arctic and understandably does not want its regional hegemony challenged. China is a no brained of course they are seeking expansion, contested islands aside. There are other methods to expansionism and colonialism other than military might and occupation. Economic expansion comes to mind. Germany is an excellent example and for the most part they have THE leading voice in European policy decisions on the continent. China has been making great in roads to resource rich and money poor African nations for some time now. It all boils down to hegemony and everyone wants it. Often times a war of economy and ideas is far more effective, and devastating, than a military clash.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
It's quite extraordinary how these discussions go.

They start with China's expansionism in a contested area, but clearly outside of China's sphere - 800 miles. Grab an Atlas. There is also acknowledgement that China has many territorial disputes with neighbours and contrary to what the PR machine says, China is expansionist - ask a Tibetan.

They end with. It's the US who are to blame. Not only do they have bases in loads of countries (surely a measure of their diplomacy), but in their short history they have blah, blah, blah. What's that got to do with China's expansionism into the Spratly Islands? Why can't people keep to topic without drifting off into some repetitive rant about the US?

Regards

China obviously is expansionist within it's region. There's resources in the South China Sea that China wants.
Not that it justifies it, but that's the basic sum of it all.

Now, the West should shut the hell up, and so should the majority of the sheep who live in the West who are only uppity about China because of what the media brainwashes them to think.

Why?
Because there's other countries in the world who are expansionist and just as aggressive if not more aggressive then China. There's countries which are breaking international laws and are in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

But the West, America, the UK, Germany, France, the EU...they all stay damn bloody silent on these issues.

The country I'm talking about specifically is Turkey.

Turkey illegally and unilaterally invaded a sovereign country in 1974. It still occupies about 1/3 of that country(Cyprus). There are UN Security Council resolutions which require Turkey to withdrawal.
Why it Turkey not sanctioned?
Why isn't Turkey forced to comply?
Why hasn't the West cut off Turkey yet?
Why aren't the Resolutions being enforced all these decades?

Why is Turkey allowed to have territorial claims on another country, Greece, whose also a NATO member, and supposed to be allied with Turkey?
Why is Turkey allowed to play hostile games, where it violates air and maritime boundaries of both countries in fact?
Why is Turkey allowed to send F16's to fly through restricted zones where the Greek navy is conducting live fire exercises, in Greek territorial waters?
When Greece was prepared to go to war over territorial disputes in 1996, why did the United States intervene and stop them? Any country whose sovereignty is being violated by a country that has ridiculous claims against it and ignores international laws and protocols, has every right to defend it self.

I'll tell you why Turkey is allowed to get away with all these things, and much more against minorities within it's borders.

Because Turkey sits in a geographically stragetic location.
It is a large muslim nation, and therefore is useful to the United States in the Middle East.

So as far as I'm concerned, while China is being expansionist and aggressive to it's neighbors, the West should shut the damn hell up about it and stop being hypocrites.

This is why people hate the West, why they hate America. Because of the double standards and hypocrisy.

On the one hand they are basically saying China cant do what it's doing, on the other hand they are ignoring the same thing happening.

The West has no honor or morals, and is ethically way off.
Greece is a country who fought in WW2 alongside the rest of the allies. The war was brought to them, when Italy invaded. They beat the Italians back, drove them back through Albania(The Italian army was technologically superior mind you), basically the first major victory for the allies in the war. They were then invaded by the Germans, Bulgarians and Italians with the help of Albanians. Greece was occupied by THREE countries, not one. Over ten percent of the population died.

Turkey is a country which didn't join the war. They only declared war on Hitler in the final moments when the Allies had already all but sealed victory.

Greece is the birthplace of western civilization, of democracy, etc.
If the West had any dignity and any honor today, they would not side with the people who are known throughout the ages as Civilization Destroyers.
They would stand up for what is right and just in this world. Not just in the Aegean, but around the world as a whole.
Dictators who don't have any oil or gas like Mugabe wouldn't be in power still, they'd have face the International Court a long time ago.
The West wouldn't be supporting terrorists against another dictator, Assad, while fighting the same terrorists elsewhere.

So much hypocrisy, double standards. Such a lack of morals and ethics. The Western world is morally bankrupt. It's already gone down the toilet.

China is an emerging power. China didn't set the rules, or break them. China is following the examples set by the Americans and British. China is playing the game THEY created, along the side guidelines that they've created for them selves, and changed when it suits them, to reach their goals.

The shoes on the other foot now. And they don't like it.
It's their own damn fault as well, for being sell outs to the banksters and globalists who shipped off our industries to China and created a Chinese super power. But what do dour politicians care? They've lined their pockets and bank accounts and offshore accounts with millions of dollars. They'll never have to work a day in their lives again, neither will their children. The rest of us are screwed though.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: mortex

Except we have alliances with the countries China is stealing land from.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join