It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Homeless) Children CAGED to keep the streets clean for the Pope

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Street children as young as five are being caged in brutal detention centres alongside adult criminals in a cynical drive to smarten up the Philippines capital ahead of a visit by Pope Francis this week.

Hundreds of boys and girls have been rounded up from doorways and roadsides by police and officials and put behind bars in recent weeks to make the poverty-racked city more presentable when Pope Francis arrives tomorrow, a MailOnline investigation has found.

In a blatant abuse of the country's own child protection laws, the terrified children are locked up in filthy detention centres where they sleep on concrete floors and where many of them are beaten or abused by older inmates and adult prisoners and, in some cases, starved and chained

(Homeless) Children CAGED to keep the streets clean for the Pope

HOLY GOD!!!

This is an outrageous article. I don't even care at this point if the whys and hows mentioned in the article are accurate, there's absolutely no frickin excuse for this:

MailOnline found dozens of street children locked up in appalling conditions alongside adult criminals in Manila, where a senior official admitted there had been an intensive round-up by police and government workers to make sure they are not seen by Pope Francis.

We gained rare access to a detention centre by accompanying Nobel Peace Prize-nominated Irish missionary Father Shay Cullen, 71, as he freed a boy aged around seven and took him to his Preda Foundation shelter for children 100 miles away in Subic Bay.

Bless this Father Cullen and shame on the animals in power in Manilla. The FIRST people the Pope should be seeing are these poor kids who have been given absolutely no reason to have faith in anything or anyone. I am not blaming the Pope for this, but at the same time the man does not live in a bubble, so if this goes unaddressed by him he has failed.

Keep in mind this is the 39th largest economy in the world, greater than Finland, Ireland, and Portugal... all countries where something like this would shock and shame the nation to the core. The depravity found in the ruling parties of this world never ceases to shock me.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Suffer the little children to come unto me....and ill jail their homeless little asses!
Way to go Popee!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
This is causing some debates in the country here whether the pictures are old or not, but it is quite believable:
newsinfo.inquirer.net...

However... The reason it is quite believable is because the Philippines is well known to try and cover up any issues and save face. In this case, a family dynasty politician ordered the relocation of typhoon survivors in government shelter -- so the pope wouldn't see their situation.

newsinfo.inquirer.net...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

manilastandardtoday.com...

PASAY aims to remove children working for begging syndicates in the streets before the Pope’s visit later this month, a city official said Friday.

Pasay Social Welfare Department head Rosalinda Orobia told the ManilaStandard the move would prevent the syndicates from taking advantage of the papal visit.

“They know the Pope cares about poor kids, and they will take advantage of that,” Orobia said of the syndicates.

Orobia said the city government has been conducting regular operations to weed out syndicates from legitimate groups providing shelter to children who were abandoned by their parents and were begging in the streets.

Is a "begging syndicate" exactly what it sounds like? An organized criminal group that essentially "pimps" the poor? There seem to be a lot of wrinkles on both sides here...

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
The Pope hasn't organized this, the local government in the Philippines has.

Lets hope the Pope finds out about it. He'll probably sneak in a visit to them. He is known for sneaking out of the Vatican at night to perform food works around Rome

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

WTF really.....how does this happen in this day and age.....i really hope this is an april fools joke or something......

2015 is looking more and more like the year the SHTF this kind of SH## is unacceptable.....there needs to be a reset if this is how those in charge feel fit to run the place,they need to be returned to hell

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I hope he didn't use the child catcher from Chitty Chitty bang bang. Still gives me nightmares

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I believe this Pope would condemn this sort of thing in a heartbeat.

If this news is true, I'm betting he is the kind of man that will be deeply troubled and speak out against this sort of treatment.

YouTube channel is being a jerk. Won't let me embed. Link.
edit on 1520150120151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
No worse than murdering homeless kids in the streets of some south American countries I guess. but still a pretty poor show.........

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The Catholic Church could solve all this tomorrow...sell their golden crosses, land and property.
Like they should do.
You don't need a church or a pope (even though I like this one) to find God.
I hope the chil;dren escape and run rampant!!!.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Speaking as a homeless person I can tell you that even in good ol merika we are not considered people

To think of what those is poorer countries are treated like is disturbing to no end

My heart goes out to those caged

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Philippines

manilastandardtoday.com...

PASAY aims to remove children working for begging syndicates in the streets before the Pope’s visit later this month, a city official said Friday.

Pasay Social Welfare Department head Rosalinda Orobia told the ManilaStandard the move would prevent the syndicates from taking advantage of the papal visit.

“They know the Pope cares about poor kids, and they will take advantage of that,” Orobia said of the syndicates.

Orobia said the city government has been conducting regular operations to weed out syndicates from legitimate groups providing shelter to children who were abandoned by their parents and were begging in the streets.

Is a "begging syndicate" exactly what it sounds like? An organized criminal group that essentially "pimps" the poor? There seem to be a lot of wrinkles on both sides here...

Yes, they exist, though I'm not sure how elaborately organized they are. It's a common sight in Manila (while in taxi) to have many children beg for money or sell you something (like a handmade flower necklace) overpriced. On the side of the street somewhere else, after the children get money, they run back to an adult on the sidelines collecting the cash. I don't know how large this goes organization wise, but it definitely happens a lot.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
IMO it is actually a blessing that this made the news because this Pope strikes me as the kind of person who would address the situation and coerce those in power to undo it and find a better solution - one that helps rather than hides.

I'm not Catholic, but so far this guy seems to genuinely care about humans.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
I believe this Pope would condemn this sort of thing in a heartbeat.

If this news is true, I'm betting he is the kind of man that will be deeply troubled and speak out against this sort of treatment. [/url]

Here ya go. (You were missing the first letter)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Maybe they are afraid of another '10 year old girl blowing herself up' ?

Suicide bombing by '10-year-old girl in Nigeria kills at least 10'

At least 10 people were killed when a young girl, thought to be aged 10, blew herself up at a crowded market in the northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, the Red Cross and vigilantes said.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Suffer the little children to come unto me....and ill jail their homeless little asses!
Way to go Popee!

i might not understand your humour... but are you really blaming the pope?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Caging CHILDREN along side convicted adult offenders! That's just not acceptable!

Its the Pope that should be in a cage considering the mindless "Double Speak" both he and his organisation come away with. Not to mention the other officials and law enforcement officers responsible for such a heinous act of depravity.

edit on 15-1-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

In January? Seems a little early.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
This is enraging.
Hopefully the Pope does something about this, can't see him not doing so.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Simply about image. Do you really think the local authority's and even the Vatican wish to see that level of poverty and homelessness following said Pope around with all the mass-media networks that will undoubtedly cover such an event and visit?

Sure the Pope and Vatican will probably condemn the situation transpiring on one hand, but on the other, well there is all ways an agenda at play with this lot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join