It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[DRG2015] Hatchling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Curly blond hair spilled over his small shoulders, intense blue eyes were wide with anticipation.
"Tell us another story Old Pa! One about the dragons!"
Some of the older children laughed. They knew that ten year old Sky believed that dragons still existed. It's all he ever spoke of really, finding himself a dragon one day and proving to all the others that they were real. They laughed and they made fun of him.

The weathered face of the wise old man brightened with a smile. Slowly he rose with the aid of a twisted but sturdy walking stick. His long gray hair blew in the Autumn wind. He so loved the children of the village and the time he spent with them out in nature and teaching them about the flora and fauna of the land. He especially enjoyed the story telling hour beneath the ancient trees.
"I fear our hour is up for today."

It had been a long time, but Sky remembered that day with the other children and the old man he grew to love so much. He remembered too how the other children laughed at him for believing in dragons and always made him cry, they always did. He held up the glowing blue egg to the sunlight. There was movement and a crackling sound. Gently he placed the egg down in the soft grass and held his breath. The little life inside struggled for some time to free itself and finally it came tumbling out. Sky heard a thunderous roar and flapping of huge leathery wings. He shielded his eyes from the bright sunlight and saw the huge creature circling above. Quickly he picked up the baby dragon and ran through the thick forest.
"I will take care of you little one. I won't let you grow up to be fierce and mean and unfair to man like all the others."
He almost jumped out of his skin when he heard a commanding voice.

"It was man that was fierce and unfair with his relentless quest to almost kill off our kind because we would not bend to his will. Give me the hatchling!"
The young man was shocked and tried to remain calm.
"Why haven't you killed me with your breath of fire, teeth or claws? You could easily take the hatchling from me."
The huge beast stepped forward.
"I will not kill that which is not trying to kill me, unless he is my meal and I have already eaten. Your ancestors were wrong in their re-telling of the old stories. Once, long ago, we lived a peaceful life until mankind discovered and feared us because of our size and fire breathing abilities. Foolish beings choosing violence over peace."

Sky was in awe. He was standing beside and conversing with a dragon a real live dragon and he was...a nice dragon.
"How do you know what stories were passed down to us?"
The massive crimson dragon smirked.
"Do you think we have survived this long without keeping a close watch on you? Oh we have heard your stories young man, but your kind finally believed that we no longer existed and we began to relax until you came along."
A gust of wind whipped his cloak around his legs. Sky wanted so desperately to prove to everyone who had ever laughed at him and made fun of him that dragons were real. He wanted to put them in their place and make them feel guilty for all the pain and suffering they put him through as a child. He finally had proof and yet...he knew what the consequences would be if he kept the hatchling.

The green dragon took another step closer. He didn't want to kill the young man, yet if he let him live, a time of violence would rise again. Or would it? Could he even allow himself to trust a human? Should he take such a chance when so much was at stake?
"Leave the hatchling and go live your life while you still have one and please...do not mention our existence."
A huge and beautiful beast he was thought Sky. How he wished they could live in peace with each other, but he knew deep down inside that they never would. He held the innocent hatchling with compassion and love and knew what he had to do. The little creature looked into his eyes as though he understood and peeped. Then it hiccupped and a tiny wisp of smoke came out of its nose. He longed to raise it, to watch it grow into a majestic creature of power with strong wings, to teach it and care for it. Sky knew though that it belonged with its own kind. It would remain free and beautiful and alive. Slowly he placed the peeping hatchling down next to the green dragon, turned and walked away.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Very Nicely Told Tale Night!!! Very Good!!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thanks buddy! Nothing great, just a cute little tale. Been having writer's block lately but wanted to throw something out there.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That was a nice little story!

I am going to tell it to my daughter with a few adaptations... she's only 3 and I don't want her to get too scared that dragons are real... or ARE they?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Aww...that was so good! (I love the name Sky!)

I'm kinda having a hard time coming up with something for this contest...I was so gung-ho at first, but fear I too am suffering the writer's block.

Beautiful story hunny! (It was over too soon, lol)

jacy

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
That was really good
I enjoyed it very much.
Good luck to you my friend!!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheFlesh1980

Awww, thanks! I hope she enjoys it.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Thanks Sweetie! I know you can come up with something. Everything just flows so naturally from you.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: natalia

Thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed it Hun!

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

That was gorgeous, you are such a good writer. I could read your writing all day. Sometimes real love means letting go -now I'm getting all choked up, but you put that point across so beautifully.
A wee star and flag seem a bit measly for such a great story, but they're all I've got.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Awww, you made my day! Thank you so much!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Night Star, you have captured the art of legend telling. How wonderful the story tellers of bygone days must have been. I cannot imagine living in a time without books, why what would I do with my bookmarks back then.

I loved the hiccup visual, made me chuckle.

Namaste,
Yoga Ginns

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: YogaGinns

Thank you, that means a lot to me!!!! I cannot imagine a time when there were no books either! I still prefer a real book with paper pages.

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Great Stuff Night!
Cute as a button.
Love the Idea of them being here all the time.... watching us!

posted on Jan, 18 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Thanks buddy! Glad you enjoyed it! I enjoyed yours as well!

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Lovely tale!

Knew it would be...

- AB

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Awwww, thank you Sweetie!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I really enjoy your descriptive narrative, NightStar.

It draws one right into the story. With your stories, I always have a clear picture in my head, of what's going on. What it looks like, feels like - to be in your stories.

Good job.

CdT

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing your story. I really liked it. It is interesting how we vilify what we can not tame. Peace to you my friend.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

That means a lot to me. Really! Thank you!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join