It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activist critical of police undergoes use-of-force scenarios: FAIL

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sayzaar

Ahhhhh, 70% of LE don't go through "years of training". Most perform their yearly POST firearms qualifications, maybe some additional training by HR and that is about it.

80% don't go through any additional hand to hand combat training once outside the LE Academy.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheFlesh1980

Anyone who thinks they can perform the duties of a police officer without the proper training is an idiot. They picked idiots to take part in this very nonobjective study.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Mumbotron

And those same idiots are the ones screaming the loudest moronic statements on how LE should have acted.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Just because there are idiots in any given crowd doesn't make everyone in that crowd an idiot. But sure lets hear from the idiots... that is a really balanced and scientific study there bub.
edit on 07/17/2009 by Mumbotron because: space

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Yes, if you believe they chose idiots to participate in this exercise, then it should be a GOOD thing for you to see idiots attempt to do the job of a trained LEO.

These circumstances could allow other idiots who are screaming about how LEOs should do their jobs to relate to the idiots in the video, and maybe someday they can all stop being idiots altogether.

Once again, no defense for bad LEOs here, just pointing out the obvious.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hey, don't be pissy because your statement is a blanket comment, on people you seem to align yourself with.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: sayzaar

Ahhhhh, 70% of LE don't go through "years of training". Most perform their yearly POST firearms qualifications, maybe some additional training by HR and that is about it.

80% don't go through any additional hand to hand combat training once outside the LE Academy.

Where are these numbers coming from?

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Now that we've agreed that they chose idiots, we can also dismiss any scientific merit in the video. We might as well learn from the Trailer Park Boys because this is a set up sham comedy script that doesn't relate in any way to the many complaints people have made regarding systematic violence.

suggesting I'm pissy... that's funny well at least we know that level we are working with here
edit on 07/17/2009 by Mumbotron because: reply to insult

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Personal knowledge.

Having been in LE, working around LE and servicing LE, that is what I saw/see.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

May be accurate for where you're at then but not even remotely accurate for where I'm at. Don't really think it's fair to throw out "numbers" like that when they're based off your own experience in a given area. Not without a disclaimer of some sort anyway. As it stands, it looks like you're throwing out stats that are representative of the entire profession when they may very well not be.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I have been around/serviced/etc LE throughout the country. Both local, county, state and federal.

I stand by my statement.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Cool. Show me your data then, since you have numbers and all

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

So, brain surgery then? Or maybe Vulcan mind meld?

Call around to any states POST and ask the yearly training requirements.
Go visit some LE agencies in your state.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Ahhh okay so you're talking about training REQUIREMENTS.

Yea, what they're required to do and what they do beyond that are two entirely separate things.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This is utterly ridiculous for obvious reasons. You cannot take an untrained person, thrust him into a stressful situation, and expect him to make the correct decisions. Serving in the military taught me that training is often meant to instill something within you, so that when you are placed in a stressful situation or environment you do not have to think, rather you act...but you make the right decision because you've trained so much. This is what the police are supposed to do, or they should be doing this at least. Of course they still need to do some thinking so they can evaluate what level of force to use and what action to take, but some guy off the street is not going to have a fraction of the skills necessary to make such a determination.

I do think that many of those who blame the police for everything are often wrong, especially considering these people have made up their minds before they've gotten the facts. This was quite obvious with the recent police shootings. I mean there are people who would not even entertain the idea that the cop could have been in the right, as his life was in danger. They didn't even consider it. This is wrong, and tells you what kind of people they are. They are biased, and in some cases racist as well. But then there are times when the police are wrong. But we do not hear about the times the police "get it right." Anyway, my main point was that this is being used as propaganda, because in no way should an untrained civilian be able to act the same way a police officer acts, because they have not received the same training.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Not just requirements. I am talking about what LEO do after that as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

You said to ask about yearly requirements. Now you say you're talking about "what they do after" too?

You must've talked to some pretty lazy cops in your travels.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I wonder if the drill would have gone differently, if he had a taser, pepper-spray and a gun.
It seemed like shoot or don't shoot were his only two options...

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've gone through similar escalation of force training. I fully sympathize with how quick every violent or potentially violent encounter can be. I've been in violent situations where I have had to cause serious injury. Most Americans don't really understand how fast violence can come. 9 times out of 10 the decision to shoot is justified. HOWEVER, legal precedent often protects that illegitimate use of force under the presumption that every time a police officer uses force that there are justifiable circumstances. That simply isn't true and it is a policy that needs to change.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Why do many many other countries have far far less incidents where police kill people?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join