It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Winter Solstice Northern Hemisphere folks, the Sun is coming back soon:)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Ah, the Sun has set here in the UK on the shortest day of our year. A minute or two of more sunlight each day slowly returning from this week. It is the only reason I care about this time of year, and I'm of the opinion that the Solstice was the original reason people celebrated this period in the days before Christianity was even invented.

I offer my best wishes to all in the coming new year, which starts tomorrow in my mind...yay the Sun is coming back, the Sun is coming back...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This has me excited!! Can't wait!

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012
Haha brilliant!
I'm more drawn to Spring Equinox though, only 89 days until Daffodils and Snowdrops are carpeting my local area again with their sunny smiles.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
Happy Solstice!!
This is always a good day, it may be the shortest, but as you stated, it only gets better from here! 10 to 4 just isn't enough light! Even with all of our artificial light, I can see how our ancestors could panic about the sun coming back.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

From my family and I, may we wish you all a very merry Yule.

Blessed be.

It is time to say goodbye to the old and watch the evenings start to get longer from now on to summer.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

December 21 Winter Solstice - Alban Arthan, Yule, Saturnalia

The Winter Solstice, with the Summer Solstice, are probably the oldest seasonal festivals of humanity.

Originally the Christian calendar focused on Easter. It was only in the fourth century that the church decided Jesus Christ’s birthday should be celebrated. Since the Bible did not point to an exact date when Christ was born, Pope Julius I chose Dec. 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose the date in an effort to replace the Roman Saturnalia with the Christian holiday.

www.ibtimes.com...

Because of its known pagan origin, Christmas was banned by the Puritans and its observance was illegal in Massachusetts between 1659 and 1681

edit on 21-12-2014 by RedmoonMWC because: to add

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If anyone is able to get there, Stonehenge is open for free tomorrow and it is one of the two times each year you can touch the stones. I've done the festival atmosphere Summer Solstice there a few times, but never Winter. I really need to work tomorrow so again not this year, but for anyone interested here's a link to English Heritage who manage the site>> www.english-heritage.org.uk...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
It is time to say goodbye to the old and watch the evenings start to get longer from now on to summer.

originally posted by: woodsmom
I can see how our ancestors could panic about the sun coming back.

originally posted by: RedmoonMWC
The Winter Solstice, with the Summer Solstice, are probably the oldest seasonal festivals of humanity.

I have a romanticised image in my mind that we feasted big time back in the day, bonfires, hog roasts, and debauchery. No evidence to back it up, just my imaginations. Let's be honest though, growing your own crops or hunter gathering, the Sun coming back would have been well worth a celebration.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Happy Solstice

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74
Another revolution around the Sun to look forward to

Quiet celebration for me today, but tomorrow is the new year in my mind...and I won't tell my resolutions lol
Best wishes to you and all.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
No Doubt about it!
It was a celebration of life: feasting, bonfires, hog roasts, and debauchery were staples.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC
Wish I didn't need the cash from working tomorrow, couple of parties I could be at right now lol

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Happy Solstice, everyone! We need to bring back the celebration of these events that keep us in touch with nature.
edit on 21-12-2014 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

join