It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan and the Taliban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I do not pretend to know much about the Middle East. So this question may seem a bit ignorant. But after what happened today with the attack on those school kids. I was wondering when Pakistan and the Middle Eastern countries finally go after and terminate all those Taliban thugs, who simply go around killing innocent children. I know Pakistan has been providing safe haven for these criminals. But enough is enough. It is time to eradicate this evil. At least that is my opinion.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

It's difficult to second-guess what exactly that government might do. They might be as clueless as we are in terms of how to extract these people from their society. They might pussy-foot around them, like we do.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I spent the better part of a year, very recently, in Afghanistan.

The Taliban CAN be destroyed. But they are profitable for the ME governments because the US will give them money to "fight" them.

They'll send some shells and kill one or two "leaders" just to say "see we're doing what you gave us money for....Can we have another billion?"

The US and other western powers are stupid enough to continue to give them money. When the money stops you're going to see a crack down on the Taliban and groups like it the likes of which you have never seen before. It's how they operate.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

That is like asking america to just go around and stop gang violence once and for all.
It is not so simple as going out and killing them all regardless of what our gov says

I am pretty strong in defending life for pretty much anyone, but these sick bastards need to be 6 feet under.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
There would be a conflict of interest for certain people to go after these scumbags.

It's been said even the Afghan branch of the Taliban have condemned this...
Not that this makes them any more respectable, but it shows how well this has gone down in the region.

Btw, just a sidenote, Pakistan is in the East, not the Middle East, I know it sounds minor but it puts into perspective who has to be at the forefront to deal with this.

I'd say follow the money, but Saudi Arabia may assassinate me.
edit on 16-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The US and other western powers are stupid enough to continue to give them money. When the money stops you're going to see a crack down on the Taliban and groups like it the likes of which you have never seen before. It's how they operate

That would be a win-win.

A little beside the point but I was listening to some vids on you-tube this morning, with an interviewer asking people on the street In Pakistan how they feel about Americans. Inevitably, they would say they want us to leave them alone, and stop giving them money. They said they don't want any monies or funding from us. Hm. If I had my way..............
edit on 12/16/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Maybe you should get a hold of this guy . He does live in the states afterall .

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

The Taliban were a Pakistani Creation in the late 80s and early 90s. There was no Taliban until 1996.

I wish people would stop parroting the BS that the Taliban fought the Soviet Union and that somehow the US created them back in the 80s. They didn't.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If you do not go after the philosophy instead of the people then you will never win. You cannot both accept Nazism as normal and then be angry when the Nazis become many and violent. If you allow the Salafi/Wahabbi thinking as normal and is tolerant against it (tolerant of philosophy that preaches intolerance) then you have to accept that the Salafi/Wahabbi will increase in number and cause a mess.

And it does not help that Saudi Arabia is promoting the Salafi/Wahabbi philosophy with the help of their money abroad.
edit on 16-12-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Have a listen to this and then consider what you think .

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
The Taliban were a Pakistani Creation in the late 80s and early 90s. There was no Taliban until 1996.

I wish people would stop parroting the BS that the Taliban fought the Soviet Union and that somehow the US created them back in the 80s. They didn't.

You say that the Taliban were a Pakistani Creation in the alte 80s and early 90s, then you say they didn't exist till 96?

The cliff notes version is that the Taliban exist as a result of US and Pakistani machinations in the 80s.
The people who were trained and supplied by Pakistan and the US, and had their extremist views nurtured as an opposition to "godless communism" later, in the discontent and power vacuum of post-soviet era Afghanistan formed the Taliban and took power.

However, the people who carried out the school attack in Pakistan are not that same Taliban, they're the TTP, a purely Pakistan-based group that isn't majority pathan tribesmen.

Aside from all that, the narrative that Pakistan was a-ok with the Taliban until just now is a bit misguided. I'm not sure about the exact statistics, but I believe that Pakistan has the highest number of casualties in the "good guys" side of the War on Terror (most soldiers and civilians killed in opposition to the Taliban and Al Qaeda).

This doesn't mean that Pakistan may not have some back room dealings with the Taliban (they certainly did before, being one of the few countries that had diplomatic relations with them before 2001), or that there aren't some groups in Pakistan that push for dialogue with them (probably going to be less now), but the official position (cemented by many many operations and attacks against the Taliban and Al Qaeda) has not been anything but offensive for many years now.

EDIT: And yeah, as the other guy said, Pakistan doesn't come under the "Middle East". If you want to categorise it according to region, it'd probably count as South Asia or the Indian Subcontinent. Also the reason why none of the Middle Eastern countries join together to defeat the Taliban- the Taliban (neither version) have no presence in any other country aside from Afghanistan (which isn't really the Middle East either).
edit on 21-12-2014 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

top topics

join