It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article: Study Supports Theory That “Men Are Idiots” – Wait… What?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

the answer is quite simple.....she was the one paying

You were the one who commented on it first, all I did was answer you.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows

Well the BMJ does have a point. Most of their staff are men. This statement they have made is about the most idiotic thing I have read in days.

Honestly, this is very pointless. Why belittle one sex over another? Why not just respect both?

Stuff that beats on women is BAD. Stuff that beats on men is BAD. Why don't we horrid little children move away from this abyss of ignorance?

What was your motive in posting this, OP? Hope it wasn't just to wind people up.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

It should be obvious.
You did answer your own question though.

Stuff that beats on women is BAD. Stuff that beats on men is BAD.

And unfortunately, the last part of that is frequently forgotten.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I would give this study a lot more credence if the author did not use the term 'idiot' and 'idiotic'.

Very poor use of words which do not help societies stereotypical judgements. The study actually looks at risk-taking behaviours. If we stick to that context it is less offensive.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: daftpink

Their choice of words are the least of their problems.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I don't think that to many here who have commented have actually read the article. It was done with tongue in cheek in mind and not meant to be actually taken seriously. I guess some people have no sense of humor.

www.darwinawards.com...

The major question is, how does one measure male idiocy? I mean, do you just stand on the street corner and take note of the number of times that men do something stupid? What would an experimental study consist of? For example, would you perhaps conduct experiments with men and women where you leave them alone with a motorcycle, duct tape, some 2X4s and see what happens?

Such a study would leave me utterly baffled.

But fear not! The authors were able to tackle this difficult issue thanks to The Darwin Awards. If you are not familiar with the awards, in order to win you have to lose…your life. Winners of the Darwin Award must die in such an idiotic manner that “their action ensures the long-term survival of the species, by selectively allowing one less idiot to survive.” Notably, the Darwin Awards Committee attempts to make a clear distinction between idiotic deaths and accidental deaths. Thus, by looking at who wins more awards, men or women, we can make inferences about who the bigger idiots are.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

How many people actually read any of the studies in the news?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Not to many I think. They let whoever wrote the article do their thinking for them. But if a reference is given, I always read it before commenting.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Academic studies plublished in scientific journals are not supposed to be tongue in cheek and are supposed to be taken seriously.

That is my understanding of academia.

a reply to: TDawgRex

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

They do it all the time.

Prestigious Journal Publishes Annual April Fool's 'Research'
news.healingwell.com...

The Best of the British Medical Journal's Goofy Christmas Papers
www.smithsonianmag.com...

There are a lot more.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This is one of the finest examples of satire I've seen in a long time. Dozens of news sites were either completely duped or they added to the satire. Hilarious. Even the article used in the OP gets that it's tongue in cheek, they're just mad about it anyway.

Spoiler alert....

There's no such thing as Male Idiot Theory (MIT).

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
They needed a study to figure this out???!

Sorry, couldn't resist

c'Mon, Violet, you are sitting on the answer to the problem. Tell us what it is.

(Couldn't resist either.)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Well, I guess that if we were smart and well read enough, we would subscribe to the BMJ, have read the article and challenged it an intelligent, unrefutable manner.

Looks like we screwed up again chaps.

Back to thinking about boobs it is then.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I had a similar conversation with my brother about how immature men in this country are.I came to the conclusion that mothers need to STOP babying their boys and let the fathers have a larger role in raising them up. I also said that there used to be 'rites of manhood' in other cultures and that we needed to have them in our society. a rite of passage for boys where they put their toys away and become men with all the responsibilities that go with it. I know a lot of familys don't hunt anymore,so boys can't go out and kill for food to prove they are good providers like way back when,but for some reason my brother balked when I suggested that they have to walk across flaming broken glass or slide down a rope by their privates. Which just proves my point,men don't want to be men anymore. They want to be little boys forever.Its just so sad. lol

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Yes it was said in jest but it seems the same people that are the ones that tell feminist to get over it and not get so easily offended are the ones that then turn around and get offended by this kind of thing.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

Well the BMJ does have a point. Most of their staff are men. This statement they have made is about the most idiotic thing I have read in days.

Honestly, this is very pointless. Why belittle one sex over another? Why not just respect both?

Stuff that beats on women is BAD. Stuff that beats on men is BAD. Why don't we horrid little children move away from this abyss of ignorance?

What was your motive in posting this, OP? Hope it wasn't just to wind people up.

The "idiot" part was supposed to be humorous.... yet it is pointed humor- there is a current common attitude on risk taking behaviors as pure stupidity (Jackass syndrome) and often used by females to point out men's "faults".

Oh yeah, what I meant to point out is that risking ones own life or well being isn't really beating on someone else.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Honestly if I saw an article like that I would considered it biased crap not worth wasting brain cells on. As a mom of four boys and married to an incredibly intelligent man, I do not approve of man bashing at any level. I do not believe in name calling or generalizing of either gender. There are idiots in both genders and certainly plenty of people who should never reproduce, but to generalize across the board isn't just rude, it is ignorant.

I am not one to believe that a gender should be pigeon holed into a certain role. I know a good deal of intelligent men and women. Why anyone bothers to focus on things that are divisive in any regard is beyond me, yet I suppose we all do it, even if just subconsciously. If it isn't race, it's gender, and I for one am growing tired of it all. How about we start focusing on our similarities and celebrate the things that we each excel at without it being taken as some sort of slight against whichever race or gender you happen to be.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Men, idiots? I didn't think there was any question about that.

Of course, women are too. We are all. Just look at our societies and global issues. Even being idiots, we can figure that one out.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

They do it all the time.

Prestigious Journal Publishes Annual April Fool's 'Research'
news.healingwell.com...

The Best of the British Medical Journal's Goofy Christmas Papers
www.smithsonianmag.com...

There are a lot more.

Sure, I'm not having a go at you, more the BMJ. IMO there are much more important things they could be writing 'academic' papers on and I blame the BMJ for publishing it. I'm studying myself at the moment and these sort of papers are frowned upon by my institute which is one of the most reputable in the UK. Basically, if I referenced this paper in an essay I would no doubt get a D. I just don't see the point of it being in an academic journal, there are other places for satire. The April fools and christmas things - ok fair enough - but just to start man bashing for the fun of it and encourage these stereotypes is wrong and a social scientist would have a field day with a counter-study explaining why this sort of thing does not help the partiarchal society we have set up.
By the way I'm female.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If males didn't take risks we'd still be living in caves.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join