It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida officer burns 3yr-old boy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
www.abcactionnews.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

On Jan. 17, Hernando County deputies arrested Marrone after they say he confessed to burning his girlfriend's toddler with a hair dryer because the little boy wanted to play and Marrone wanted to sleep, according to WTSP.

When Ethan began complaining about his pain, saying only "pee pee owie," Sherron pulled down his diaper and saw that his genitals were swollen to the size of a softball. The boy also had burn marks on his thighs, buttocks, and chest.

Complete psycho.

Seems the LE profession really does attract some of the sickest psychos out there....

This I have a problem with. That's akin to saying Stephen Hawking is a psycho because Ted Kaczynski was a serial murderer.

I wasn't labeling police psychopaths, and I sincerely apologize to those who took it that way (especially LEO's here).

I made a statement, probably chose the words poorly, but the basis was grounded in this fact: Careers that offer a great deal of authority, a degree of immunity, and are accessible to the average Joe are guaranteed to attract a disproportionate number of sociopaths. No surprise that politics is another one which attracts a lot of the same. Recent studies also show far more sociopaths in society than we previously thought. They aren't like hollywood tells us, they are fairly normal people with a low degree of empathy, so it's difficult to weed them out of the LEO employment process.

Half of my immediate family are current or former officers, and that probably has alot to do with why I hold officers to a higher standard. I personally know how good of cops my family are. We discuss this topic from time to time, and they mostly agree that the current trend of insane police officers is disturbing.

Check my other recent posts and you'll see my support for the undercover officers in Oakland, against the hearsay-hate flood of other ATS members. I don't hate the profession, I hate what's happening to the profession.

edit on 14-12-2014 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
After reading through the thread, I feel I need to clarify here:

I WAS NOT INTENDING TO SAY OR EVEN IMPLY THIS INCIDENT WAS BECAUSE HE'S AN OFFICER. IN FACT, I WOULD ARGUE THE OPPOSITE: (HE BECAME AN OFFICER BECAUSE OF THIS PERSONALITY TRAIT)

I was just restating a known phenomenon; which is that UNFORTUNATELY THE PROFESSION DOES ATTRACT MORE POWER TRIPPERS AND SOCIOPATHS.

Whereas the general population may contain sociopaths in about 1/100 concentration. Police forces will contain significantly MORE than that concentration, so maybe 1/20.

The majority of officers go into the career wanting to genuinely serve and do something good, making a difference in the community. But there will always be a segment of those who apply who are applying for the singular reason of the power granted.

I think we would all like to see measures put in place to screen out applicants with sociopathic tendencies.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: opethPA
Clearly you are part of the ATS crowd that wants to blame cops for everything, enjoy that.

Well, I'm one from the ATS crowd that can read studies, and sees that LEOs are about 4x as likely to be child abusers or wife beaters as, say, engineers.

Because a lot of LEOs are control freaks, and/or have narcissistic personality disorders.

Being an LEO doesn't make them more likely to be abusers. Abusive people are more likely to try and become LEO's.

Maybe not a huge distinction to most people, but it's pretty significant. ie The profession doesn't make people bad, but a lot of bad people apply to the profession.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Bedlam

Armchair diagnoses are fun aren't they?

Chances of this post ever having been created if the perpetrator of this heinous act wasnt a cop? Pretty minimal.

Odd that, innit?

NO. It's not odd at all. We as a society surrender a great deal of authority to our LEO's and in turn, we feel extra-betrayed when they show themselves to have violated that trust. It's only logical.

We somewhat expect Joeblow DUI whitetrash to be a total POS, but feel especially let down when our LEO's disappoint us.

Or am I being old fashioned? When I see LEO's I fully expect them to be upstanding members of society, and I always treat them with respect. When the average person no longer has that expectation, then we're in real trouble.

edit on 14-12-2014 by 8675309jenny because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
is it ok to tie in his profession with his crime because you dont like his profession?
his occupation is completely irrelevant.

Its not that I don't like his profession. His occupation is completely relevant because he has been given a position of trust, protection and power. He has violated all of these with his crime towards a defenceless three year old. I don't know about the US but here in the UK police (and carers) have to apply for a PVG (protection of vulnerable groups scheme) and a disclosure check. This ensures the person's records are checked to ensure they have never been involved in any crime that would pose as a risk to vulnerable groups. It ensures only caring, humane humans work with our most vulnerable and take on roles easily exploited.

This man will never be a cop again or work around vulnerable groups (kids, disabled, elderly). Or at least thats how it works in UK.

I really can't see why you don't think his occupation is relevant here. Maybe that's part of the problem.
edit on 14-12-2014 by daftpink because: typo

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: Shamrock6

Agreed.

I get extremely defensive and offended when I get lumped in with bad cops.

This is because I took the job to help and protect my community. A community I was born and raised in.

That includes protection from bad cops.

It actually breaks my heart to think people view me as some kind of corrupt jackboot. It actually depresses me. So much so that I am leaving the career.

I hope you're not leaving the profession because of things like this forum or copblock. Or especially things like my poor choice of words in the OP.

Have a look over my posts above on this page. I'm actually quite respectful to police, and always assume the best of an officer in person. It's just stupid & starting off on the wrong foot to have an attitude with an officer, and these days especially I can understand how much it must suck for officers work every day with the mistakes of others on their backs.

I would ask you to try and move up the ranks and turn things around for the better rather than walk away.

I've noticed recently that things are starting to look brighter on the issue of other officers demanding that their colleagues be held accountable for making their depts. look bad and losing public trust. The internet and widespread video are a double-edged sword for sure but it seems things are headed for the better.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

and i'm not taking a broad brush approach....that's not how i operate...i thought you'd have known me better than that by now.

the argument is that he is a police officer....and he did this.....to a child..

the argument is that he should not be a police officer, because if the can do this to a child, wtf ELSE is he capable of doing to others who annoy him?

the argument is that he should be in f**king jail....

i happen to agree that he should no longer be a cop, and should be in jail, because he is a piece of s**t.

EDIT: piece of crap officer guy is a corrections officer, not a cop.
edit on 12-14-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

EDIT: piece of crap officer guy is a corrections officer, not a cop.

Yea I'm not sure if that's a bit of a grey area, because he was employed by the Hernando County Sherrif's office which would think makes him an LEO. I thought most corrections officers are contracted out.

Regardless, I'm glad they swiftly fired this loser, but he should be facing sexual abuse charges also.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

wouldn't it be absolutely delicious if he got tossed in the same prison he was a guard in?

and then when he gets out (if he survives), he gets put on the kiddie fiddler registry?

that would be an ideal outcome..

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

wouldn't it be absolutely delicious if he got tossed in the same prison he was a guard in?

and then when he gets out (if he survives), he gets put on the kiddie fiddler registry?

that would be an ideal outcome..

There's a hope in the back of my mind that he's not being charged with sex offenses for the very reason that they intend to put him in with the general population.

Just imagine if this guy was that monstrous toward a 3yr-old, how did he treat inmates???? The prisoners will have a field day with him. That's some vicious karma for sure!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

They probably won't put him in gen pop regardless of what he's charged with. I would bet he'd do most of not all of his sentence in protective custody.

Not sure where he's located (don't care to read the article again either) but if he's a prison guard, he most likely has very limited LE powers and they're tied to acts in the performance of his guard duties, and recovering escapees. If he's a jail guard, then it would depend on the scope of whatever sheriff's office he was employed by.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

This sounds like a lot more than cruelty. This sick POS was probably getting some deeply disturbing sexual gratification from it.

If it is okay for the CIA to torture people they should get their training on these types of sadistic f****s

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

dude, there's no indication that he did it because he gets off on it...every indication is that he's as asshole, who burned the kid for being a kid, because "f**k that kid"

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

...many of us would welcome the change.

In a totally sincere way, I am sure you would.

What puzzles me is, how did the system end up where it is now? Why did anyone go for that to begin with? It seems to be fairly common, too.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny

Being an LEO doesn't make them more likely to be abusers. Abusive people are more likely to try and become LEO's.

Maybe not a huge distinction to most people, but it's pretty significant. ie The profession doesn't make people bad, but a lot of bad people apply to the profession.

I think I made that a bit more clear later. But at any rate, as a 'citizen', it amounts to the same thing to ME. I have something like a 25% chance of drawing Mr Jackass With a Gun, whose buddy (if equipped with one) will go along with it, even if he's not one of the 25%. Not good odds.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

They probably won't put him in gen pop regardless of what he's charged with. I would bet he'd do most of not all of his sentence in protective custody.

See, that's one of those things I was talking about when I mentioned Leavenworth upthread. You screw up good enough in the Army, you make big rocks into little ones, and no protective custody available. When you get done making that rock into gravel, they bring you another.

Cops, they end up out of population and in trusted positions. If there IS something you could call cush time, that is where they go. If they're all afraid of mixing them with the Aryan Bros, why not have a cop prison and all the cops go there? Then they could get the same sort of prison experience as all the other inmates.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

What a horrible story, but an even bigger story to me is how everyone reacts with disgust when it's a child being abused by a cop, but shows indifference or remains passive when it's an adult getting abused by the police.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Ensinger23

Judging by the posts and outrage here on ATS to excessive force issues, whether they actually meet the criteria for excessive force or not, I don't think "everyone" is indifferent or passive at all.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

No I don't eat meat. And though I don't willingly stomp on bugs I'm sure I've killed plenty in my lifetime. So exactly what was the point of that? Sarcasm? Turning on the snark?

Hell imo if you call for the violence of another you're no better than the original perpetrator. An eye for an eye still sheds blood no matter how "worthless" we think it is.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I don't know a whole lot about Leavenworth honestly, other than general stories that everybody hears. I know about the rock thing, for example. I also hear solitary is quite an...experience there.

Personally I favor the brig at Quantico. Those guys have made an art out of misery. And Portsmouth was another "experience" from what I've heard. But I digress...

I see the need for PC for cops, purely from a litigation stand point. Were I running a prison, I wouldn't want to deal with the red tape that came from a d-bag getting himself stuck in the shower. That being said, I don't see much wrong with sticking all of them together in one place and making it as unpleasant an experience as possible. Unfortunately the military can be a bit more draconian about things than civilian law allows for.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join