It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Committee against Torture urges U.S. to investigate and prosecute police brutality and shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
source

The review cited deep concern about 'numerous reports' of police brutality and excessive use of force against people from minority groups, immigrants and homosexuals as well as racial profiling and militarisation of policing work.

It referred to the 'frequent and recurrent police shootings or fatal pursuits of unarmed black individuals.'

The U.S. delegation told the 10 independent experts on the panel that 20 investigations had been opened since 2009 into systematic police abuses and that more than 330 police officers had been prosecuted for brutality.

Im not surprised. I heard from someone that local police departments have the most open cases AGAINST them by the FBI. I cant confirm that for you so youll have to take my word for it, i know i know that wont go over well.

Either way it doesnt matter, most of us here know that our district attorneys office and police departments work together against the public for their careers and nepotism. Cant trust any of them. I hope the cameras help raise awareness. Now the next step is to pressure your local city council and DAs to prosecute these cases.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Guess what part of my body the UN can kiss.

This is laughable and I believe the worst case of piling on I have ever seen.

Clean your own house first...Then you can come criticize mine.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Maybe we need to listen to the international community considering how we invade countries and police the world.

We need to clean our own house, we also want to attract international investors to help rebuild something that resembles an economy.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The UN can just stay out of our business, most of which has been blown way out by the MSM for ratings

That being said, one of the few positive things that may come from the Ferguson tragedy/mayhem is Obama pushing for police to have body video cams as well as more training

There were so many false facts reported before the GJ got started

One false and very misleading lie was that MB was shot in the back
Well now we know it's a fabricated lie but a lot of people don't want to hear about the facts

With the video cams, that will stop a lot of this 'guessing' and fabricating what may or may not have happened, on both sides

then when the GJ sees the video and hears/sees what evidence there is, then their decision will be more acceptable one would think, regardless of the outcome

Of course, there will always be that handful that will claim the video was tampered with if they don't get an outcome they like

edit on 2-12-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Maybe we need to listen to the international community considering how we invade countries and police the world.

We need to clean our own house, we also want to attract international investors to help rebuild something that resembles an economy.

We certainly do need to clean house. The White one and the one on the hill.

The UN nor any other Country needs to butt in our business.

Yes, we do get way too involved in the world business.

Let's not forget what America does do for the rest of the world.

We Americans give billions and billions to the rest of the World.

The Ferguson shooting would have the same result anywhere in the world.

The America bashing has got to end. We are not perfect.

But, if we are so bad. Why is it people still risk their lives to get here.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ohhh no!, not the u.n!, you've had it now, they'l put together a team highly trained vocally hardened talkers, to give your country a brutal tongue lashing, with help from dodgy headphones and dodgy sounding interpreters.....be afraid....be very afraid.a reply to: whyamIhere

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: billyvonhelvete
Ohhh no!, not the u.n!, you've had it now, they'l put together a team highly trained vocally hardened talkers, to give your country a brutal tongue lashing, with help from dodgy headphones and dodgy sounding interpreters.....be afraid....be very afraid.a reply to: whyamIhere

Those powder blue helmets are terrifying.

You know, the ones we paid for.

Sheesh....Now I'm worked.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Exactly.

We would seriously be hypocrites if we didnt listen to the rest of the world considering we meddle in all of their affairs.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Which minority group did Kelly Thomas belong to?
No riots for him after he was beaten to death by cops on video and the 6 (iirc) cops that did it were acquitted of wrongdoing.

No one cared. He wasn't in a minority group.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Exactly.

We would seriously be hypocrites if we didnt listen to the rest of the world considering we meddle in all of their affairs.

Bro,

We don't as a rule get involved in legal proceedings abroad.

A conversation with the World I would actually be interested.

But, The UN ? That's a joke. Besides we fund the UN.

I guess we should kick our own ass.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

We certainly do need to clean house. The White one and the one on the hill.

Amen to that my friend!!!

But, if we are so bad. Why is it people still risk their lives to get here.

Ahhh, we are 'bad' and yet they still come...*sigh*

The problem with being a Super Power is other countries look to us to do their dirty work

We've learned that for the most part, sanctions don't work
Mostly they hurt the citizens not the government themselves

Is the US perfect? Hell no...
Sure we could use some improvement in various areas

But the UN needs to stay out of our domestic problems IMO

The media has really made a spectacle of Ferguson and yeah, it got international attention, especially with CNN running with it day and night
Might as well throw in the social media as well [FB/Twitter]

I'm hoping that with all this brought to light, Ferguson can start to heal, but only if people are willing to work together, not keep inciting violence

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Im not against the u.n when they are used as a military force when needed, but getting them involved in this is first rate bulls#@t, its being made out to be on par with war crimes, this is a case for the U.S.A to deal with themselves, not the rest of the civilised world. I wonder who came up with those bloody blue helmet covers, talk about making a clear target for crosshairs!!a reply to: whyamIhere

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412
The UN can just stay out of our business, most of which has been blown way out by the MSM for ratings

The UN is yours/ours/members of the UN business, and the US was one of the first to sign up to the UN, in practice it took a hell of a lot of time and dead bodies for the US to get to the ethics. That said, some of the media did feck up...and that's your business.
There's no point in blaming the UN if you think they are misled, the US had their reps at the meeting in Geneva, take that up with them, as it seems they didn't make their case. The US is officially part of the UN, part and parcel and oft times run the show there no matter what anyone thinks.
So if you object to the OP, concentrate on the domestic figures the OP gives, not the UN and remember that the American constitution is supposed to be about oversight of government, pretty much the same as the UN aims. Cake and eat it anybody?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Im not surprised. I heard from someone that local police departments have the most open cases AGAINST them by the FBI. I cant confirm that for you so youll have to take my word for it, i know i know that wont go over well.

This is true. Absent anyone else with the ability to do it the FBI has found themselves in the position of being the ones to police the police. It's not really an ideal setup though because the FBI still has to work closely with police agencies, and their conviction rates for police is virtually non existent, they keep whatever does happen quiet.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Yes, the US are the largest single funder for the UN. It takes the next four to sum up the fundings of the USA to the UN. It is based on "big players go big".

Nevertheless:

U.S. arrears to the UN currently total over $1.3 billion.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The UN is one of the few things I hate more than corrupt cops.

They should do us and themselves a favor and shut up.

new topics

top topics

join