It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did NASA just admit they never put Man on The Moon? [Video]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
In this 2014 educational video from NASA about their new Orion Spacecraft, NASA Engineer Kelly Smith says the following about crossing the Vann Allan radiation Belts when travelling to the Moon and beyond:

As we get further away from Earth, we will pass through the Vann Allan Belts, an area of dangerous radiation. Radiation like this can harm the guidance systems, onboard computers, or other electronics on Orion. Naturally, we have to pass through this danger zone twice, once up and once back. But Orion has protection, shielding will be put to the test as the vehicle cuts through the waves of radiation. Sensors aboard will record radiation levels for scientists to study. We must solve these challenges before we send people through this region of Space.

What? I just could not believe what I was hearing! "We must solve these challenges before we send people through the Vann Allan Belts?" - supposedly NASA sent 10-15 people through that belt 40-45 years ago in the Apollo Programs, and now in 2014 NASA is saying that this deadly radiation problem is yet to be solved?

Above quote from 3:00

The Vann Allan Belts are several bands of deadly radiation that protects the Earth. It is located between the Earth and our Moon, which means that any spacecraft going to the Moon has to cross it.

Did the Apollo Program EVER send people though the Vann Allan radiation Belts? The answer is "NO", that is what I gather from the NASA video above. Comments?

-MM

edit on 29-11-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Is it possible that 40-50 years ago they just didn't know about the radiation. I mean the astronauts could have gotten lucky and didn't get to messed up from it. I myself was exposed to gamma radiation and I'm fine. Not saying that this is what I think the case is, but it IS possible.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

What kind of computer systems did they use in Apollo missions compared to what we would presently use?

Do you think that risks taken back then should be taken today? Can you show me where NASA said there were no difficulties or challenges associated with the Van Allen belt for the Apollo missions?

Nowhere does it state we never went, you clearly think we never went and look for any excuse to support your belief, sorry to burst your bubble.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Nowhere does it state we never went, you clearly think we never went and look for any excuse to support your belief, sorry to burst your bubble.

Honestly, I'm still on the fence if the Apollo Program was just Cold War propaganda or not. These kind of new statements from NASA does make my logical side tilt towards it being just propaganda that got out of hand, though.

-MM

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I don't see why. Nothing in this statement is new, it's all old information we already knew, and supports everything from the Apollo program, who tested their exposure levels.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

You say "these kind of new statements". So what are some other ones? It is not that hard to believe we landed on the moon. Even of we did lie about it what's the big deal? There are much bigger problems to worry about.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage

Is it possible that 40-50 years ago they just didn't know about the radiation. I mean the astronauts could have gotten lucky and didn't get to messed up from it. I myself was exposed to gamma radiation and I'm fine. Not saying that this is what I think the case is, but it IS possible.

NASA knew about the Vann Allen Belts at the time, but they supposedly ignored the warnings from Dr. Vann Allen (the scientist that discovered them):

It would require six feet (two meters) of lead in order to shield from the Van Allen belts.

The Apollo spacecrafts had nowhere near this amount of shielding and so could not have provided the astronauts adequate protection.

-MM

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaMeditation

NASA knew about the Vann Allen Belts at the time, but they supposedly ignored the warnings from Dr. Vann Allen (the scientist that discovered them):

It would require six feet (two meters) of lead in order to shield from the Van Allen belts.

The Apollo spacecrafts had nowhere near this amount of shielding and so could not have provided the astronauts adequate protection.

-MM

That's a false quote found only on conspiracy sites. It's a 100% lie.

ETA: Lead would be a horrible choice to use as shielding, and whoever made that lie up had no clue at all about the topic.
edit on 29-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

< Moderator snipped out unnecessary insulting commentary >

If you read the quoted text without moon hoax bias and emotion, you would realise that the guy is saying they can't send people through until this problem is solved.

Forget the moon for a minute and just read that statement.

Take from it what you will.
edit on 11/29/14 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Dr Van Allen never said that.

He did say this though:

"The recent Fox TV show, which I saw, is an ingenious and entertaining assemblage of nonsense. The claim that radiation exposure during the Apollo missions would have been fatal to the astronauts is only one example of such nonsense."

s149.photobucket.com...
www.clavius.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

That's a false quote found only on conspiracy sites. It's a 100% lie.

These Dr. James Van Allen quotes are 100% real:

But, though mechanical and electronic equipment can operate within the high radiation areas, a living organism cannot survive this level of radiation damage. Hence, all manned space flight attempts must steer clear of these two belts of radiation until adequate means of safeguarding the astronauts has been developed.
-Dr. James Van Allen, Space World, December 1961.

So farr, the most interesting and least expected result of man's exploration of the immediate vicinity of the earth is the discovery that our planet is ringed by a region–to be exact, two regions–of high-energy radiation extending many thousands of miles into space. This discovery is of course troubling to astronauts; somehow the human body will have to be shielded from this radiation, even on a rapid transit through the region.
-Dr. James Van Allen, Scientific American, March 1959.

-MM

link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

So what exactly are NASA saying here? No matter which way you turn it, the OP has a point.

link   

You have two choices before you.

1). Continue to believe lies, proven lies, and think Apollo never happened.
or
2.) Stop believing proven lies and realize there is near 0% chance Apollo was faked, we went there.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

No he doesn't. What they are saying is before we go we have to make sure we have proper shielding. Apollo had shielding. We have far more sensitive electronics now, they need to be shielded. We need to test that shielding on the new vehicle before people get sent up. This is not for a Moon mission, which you would know if OP was not trying to obfuscate the truth, the "challenges" are not the Van Allen belt, which you would know if OP was being truthful.

Built with versatility in mind, it can take astronauts deeper into space than we’ve ever gone before; to an asteroid or even onto Mars.

You can see the full text here.

lybio.net...

OP has no point.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Ok good. Why couldn't you just say that in the first place without posting this:
[Quote]
 you clearly think we never went and look for any excuse to support your belief, sorry to burst your bubble.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
NASA are not going to admit anything either way.

But the Space Suits that the Apollo Astronauts wore were not shielded enough for the kind of radiation of the Van Allen Belts.

So the Op has a point to a degree.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Apollo had shielding.

Apollo spacecrafts only had a heat shield for re-entering the Earths atmosphere which had absolutely no effect when it came to radiation protection for the Apollo crew or computer systems. The Apollo Program spacecrafts had no radiation shield to speak of.

More specifically, the Apollo spacecrafts had an ablative heat shield that consists of a layer of plastic resin; the outer surface of which is heated to a gas which carries the heat away by convection. Such shields were used on the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo spacecraft.

The Apollo walls where just 0.015 to 0.025 inches thick aluminum, which would not provide adequate radiation protection from the levels recorded at the Vann Allen Belts.

-MM

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Tedgoat

Why would the space suits need to be? They were in the space craft when they passed through them, and were shielded by it.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

We must solve these challenges before we send people through this region of Space.

It's an accurate statement of fact and doesn't negate the other fact that people have been sent through that region of space. VAB radiation is a challenge that's waiting for a more elegant solution than increased shielding which demands increased payloads and higher costs.

Just getting a payload into orbit is a constant challenge and fraught with failures even though we continue to do so.

Challenge isn't a synonym for 'impossible.'

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Because I wanted to see what he would say, whether he was actually interested in the truth or not. So I asked him questions for him to find the answers, that would lead him to truth.

Telling someone usually doesn't work, they need to find out for themselves. He proved he is not interested in truth, and so others would not buy into his lies.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join