It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Picture That Says Everything About Black Friday

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: Thurisaz
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I wish I could give you an applause for that comparison. Brilliant

Thank you. I dont have a strong enough vocabulary to voice my opinions sometimes. I thought i could pull it off using pictures.

So much for the Christian west. Jesus weeps, and i'm pretty sure his Retribution will be brutal when our judgment day is upon us.

So threats are the solution? Isn't that exactly what the corporations do? If you don't buy X product, you'll look bad, smell bad, and be ostracized? I'm not buying your "product", either.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
It's a new thing overseas but it looks like the religion of greed & consumption on Black Friday is alive and well.

I call this picture:

"Praise be to Asda ...Our New Overlord!"

www.bbc.com...

Incidents at those stores and other locations included:

~About 200 shoppers refused to leave a store in Middleton "despite being told stock had all gone"
~Fights broke out between shoppers in Stretford, and a woman suffered "minor injuries" after being hit by a falling television. The store was closed at 00:36 GMT
~A man was arrested in Salford after he threatened to "smash a staff member's face in"
~A woman broke her wrist in a crush, with Greater Manchester Police's deputy chief constable Ian Hopkins describing shoppers' behaviour as "appalling"
~In Wigan, officers were called to reports of "several hundred people trying to enter the store". Police added: "Two men were ejected before control was regained"
~There were reports of fighting in a store in Hattersley, where a man was arrested for a public order offence
~A man was arrested for assault at a store in Green End
~Bicester Village shopping outlet in Oxfordshire had to temporarily close after roads around it became gridlocked by Black Friday shoppers

Fear not little ones because Corporate will PROVIDE!

Peace

Let me tell you what happened on my end.
The isles were crowded!
When people bumped into you they said 'excuse me'
People would ask you 'where did you get that' and you would tell them.
You would ask people 'hey where did you find that?' And they would tell you!
People helped me find the sizes I needed while I helped them find the sizes they needed.
I did my best to help people out in hopes that they would return the favor to someone else.
Nothing was fought over.
No one was hospitalized.
It was a pretty good experience with great deals to be had.
Imagine that

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

or the "stuff" obsessed people, dominated by their own need for "things"

True, no one to blame but the greedy individuals who feel the need for objects enough to hurt others sometimes and make fools of themselves.
I can't ever decide whether to feel disgusted or just sad.

Interesting

So break this down for me. The greedy people who are cash/product obsessed ((and I do agree they are HALF the problem)) are indeed sad, sad folks.

However, does that mean Walmart/KMart/any corp has to allow or feed into it when they know darn well that this is the result? They know darn well what will happen and they do not care because on that day alone, buying and spending spikes. If I have an alcoholic for a wife/husband/father/mother/whoever and I keep offering them booze, are you seriously telling me I am not at least somewhat culpable? We and Walmart have known for many years how pathetic greed can make people and I'll even grant the problem is like 60-40 or even 70-30 towards the people, but don't pretend that corporations don't just cherish this and enable them to the nth degree

If they were responsible, why not offer tiered deals over two-three weeks? Why not just not offer such massive deals or go on as usual minus the deals period?

Yes...they are indeed part of the problem

but I will concede that personal accountability is a bigger degree
edit on 30-11-2014 by KyoZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

If I have an alcoholic for a wife/husband/father/mother/whoever and I keep offering them booze, are you seriously telling me I am not at least somewhat culpable?

If we were to look at it this way we would have to go back to saying no one should sell alcohol or pot which most people disagree with.
In my opinion we created the corporations with our greed and excesses and continue to feed them.

But I actually was referring to the behavior of individuals so ridiculously greedy that they will hurt other people to get that product cheep.
I remember the Cabbage Patch doll episode, two Mothers willing to hurt one another not so their child could have this doll but so their child could have the doll FIRST as it was going to be made available at the same cost in another few days as they had temporarily run out.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Thank you. I dont have a strong enough vocabulary to voice my opinions sometimes. I thought i could pull it off using pictures.

So much for the Christian west. Jesus weeps, and i'm pretty sure his Retribution will be brutal when our judgment day is upon us.

So threats are the solution? Isn't that exactly what the corporations do? If you don't buy X product, you'll look bad, smell bad, and be ostracized? I'm not buying your "product", either.

Dignity is not for sale...It's free.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: KyoZero

If I have an alcoholic for a wife/husband/father/mother/whoever and I keep offering them booze, are you seriously telling me I am not at least somewhat culpable?

If we were to look at it this way we would have to go back to saying no one should sell alcohol or pot which most people disagree with.
In my opinion we created the corporations with our greed and excesses and continue to feed them.

But I actually was referring to the behavior of individuals so ridiculously greedy that they will hurt other people to get that product cheep.
I remember the Cabbage Patch doll episode, two Mothers willing to hurt one another not so their child could have this doll but so their child could have the doll FIRST as it was going to be made available at the same cost in another few days as they had temporarily run out.

Make no mistake....I agree with you almost 100%. These parents are pathetic wastes of space. I live through many of these rushes especially Tickle Me Elmo, Furbees, and those stupid Beany Babies

makes me insane thinking about how sick we are as a country. And yeah I place the majority of blame on the consumers. Yeah I've been frothy and wanted to buy my totally overpriced Apple Macbook....and I have it...found a deal, avoided lines but even if Amazon never existed I sure wouldn't punch a dude in the face to get that computer first

I'm just saying we've had years and years of this Black Friday injuries and assaults and overall pathetic greed and consumerism that at some point yes I believe the companies know full well this stuff goes on. Now I do not blame them for idiots killing each other, but if they know ahead of time this stuff is going to happen, can't we control it a bit? I mean I am for revolution and all. I mean look how America was started. But this violence and idiocy isn't about starting a country or ending tyranny, it's about a DVD player and a TV.

However, I do see the paradox I create here and I am adult enough to admit I don't know the solution except to say this;

At some point there has to be grey area. You are correct in that my assumption does make it sound to ban distilleries or cars because people drink and drive. So I guess I'll just have a moment of intense honesty and say that I do not know the answer save for the fact that it exists in some gray area. Generally speaking, in the world we've built, we have to drive ((or bus/train)) but you get the point. But we don't have to have a Tickle Me Elmo

so yeah....my idea and the resulting assumptions are ridiculously far from perfect

But thanks for your cordial answer. I hope mine was the same

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Obviously these people haven't learned the differentiation between a Need and a Want.
Go figure.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I agree with that but fail to see what it has to do with my response to the other person's post. Please explain.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I agree with that but fail to see what it has to do with my response to the other person's post. Please explain.

look up, you appear to be responding to my post..?

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
a reply to: jude11

I was just watching this on the news then i realised this was in the U.K
, it is one piece of American culture we can well do without .

But hey what a great way to get rid of old stock that is not selling or outdated

All this to save a few quid on a crap make telly?

Is it worth completely losing your integrity for that?

Idiots.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join