It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Picture That Says Everything About Black Friday

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I don't participate as a consumer in Black Friday. I don't really judge those who do, it after all is the way of our Corporate world. Until we are no longer a corporate world or consumer economy I don't see it going away.

We were for many years in an industrial economy which moved into the consumer economy and now we are just into the tips of the knowledge economy. I wonder what kinds of changes we will see during this transition.

Yes, it would be nice to see a change for Black Friday such as turning it into a giving day instead.

We could do a huge marathon of giving back, for example feeding the family next door who is struggling. We could make it a goal on that day to do something for another instead of feeding into the mass frenzy of gota haves.

I wonder if I will see the change in my lifetime... or will it be my children who witness the transition ?

leolady

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
I see a lot of self righteous bull# being spilled from the soap boxes, as usual.

Welcome to Christmas ATS. Let's the petty judgements and self glorifications flow!

Spoken like a true consumer.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Third World Savages.

Civilised Westerners..

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I've thrown up a negative vibe?

Read through the thread again, every post insists that only idiots or the morally bankrupt are taking part in this rush. Is that civility or petty judgements?

The only definition of Christmas activities is the one you've set, everything else is trash or the leavings of mind controlled sheeple? Civility or self glorification of personal opinions and selective traditions?

How about, for the rest of the month, we avoid acknowledging these useless non-events and save our hatred of everyone who doesn't do exactly what we do until next year?

Wouldn't that be nice and civil?

I say good for them, they had the money and no one was seriously injured. I call it a win.

edit on 29-11-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Well done, a picture says more than a thousand words.

I weep for humanity when I think about the western societies that are supposed to be role-models for the third world.
I am beginning to lose hope. I don't think we can turn this around. The extinction of the west is inevitable imo. Maybe humanity needs the reboot once in a while. Everything needs to shut down once in a while, right?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

when the stores play up these big sales and make sure they have only a limited quantity of items on sale then they are at least partly to blame because the people know they are in competition with the other shoppers to obtain one of the 50 that they have in stock.

I haven't been to a black friday sale in decades
it isn't worth the hassle.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

hmmm
used to go with my mom and sister back in the 70's (I was a minor then and mom said I had to)
I don't remember it being like that at all
there were crowds yes
but I don't remember being run over with shopping carts or people being rude.
of course we didn't have all those newest and best electronic gadgets that have to be replaced every year or so for the new newest and best
we were shopping for clothes and boots and other things that were much more useful!

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
First they gave us Jerry Springer, then we invented our own homegrown brand of shamelessness and trash with the Jeremy Kyle show. Then they gave us Black Friday and now we have our own trash fighting over consumer goods too.

Don't ya just love that "special relationship" and all that it brings?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

hmmm
used to go with my mom and sister back in the 70's (I was a minor then and mom said I had to)
I don't remember it being like that at all
there were crowds yes
but I don't remember being run over with shopping carts or people being rude.
of course we didn't have all those newest and best electronic gadgets that have to be replaced every year or so for the new newest and best
we were shopping for clothes and boots and other things that were much more useful!

That's becuase, in the 70's there was nothing worth getting your nuts ripped off for.

Oh wait..Gettin busy with da Fizzy.

edit on 29-11-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Good lord, this crap has made it to the UK?
Of all the things for you folks to adopt over there from other countries, why American greed? Just because we don't exactly have a definable culture doesn't mean blind consumerism is a trait worth mirroring, save yourselves while you can & don't fall for it! We're way past saving on this side of the pond.

Like with previous years, we didn't do anything on Black Friday, we stayed home. It'll be a flash-frozen freak day in hell before I ever do Black Friday shopping with the hoards of morons slugging each over over-priced tablets & cell phones. I will admit to being tempted this year by one store that had a really good "doorbuster" price on a certain line of toys one of my kids is gaga over, but we decided the savings just weren't worth the hassle. I got a really good deal on a few things on Amazon through their "lightning" sales. I'm happy with that, no need to be in the middle of consumer ground zero that way.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

you have no idea how valuable a new pair of snow boots are till you've gone without boots through a winter in upstate ny!
I can and do live without a cellphone but wading through snow up to one's waist without the proper clothing can be suicidal.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I love the smell of commerce in the morning.

Smell that? You smell that? … Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. … I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a Walmart bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinkin’ shoppers body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like victory. Someday Black Friday is gonna end…

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I wish I could give you an applause for that comparison. Brilliant

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thurisaz

I wish I could give you an applause for that comparison. Brilliant

Thank you. I dont have a strong enough vocabulary to voice my opinions sometimes. I thought i could pull it off using pictures.

So much for the Christian west. Jesus weeps, and i'm pretty sure his Retribution will be brutal when our judgment day is upon us.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

When religious nutcases say that America is a sinful nation, well they are partially correct.

By the way, for me the craziest thing people fight over in Friday is the following: Pencils, Bubble Gum, and Diapers. And no I am not kidding either.

edit on 29-11-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

You do know the pictures in the Original Post are from the United Kingdom, right?

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Hmmmmm but still my point is like what the other poster says these so called "Christian Nations" should be ashamed of themselves.

And also if religious nutcases are right, then something is totally wrong.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
Hmmmmm but still my point is like what the other poster says these so called "Christian Nations" should be ashamed of themselves.

I am not at all a fan of organized religion but this has nothing to do with Christianity and there are plenty of examples of people behaving poorly in non-Christian nations.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Black Friday tells me everything I need to know about how fragile society really is.

The day the lights go out...That will be the day we see the true underbelly of the society we live in.

On Black Friday, while the zombies are stocking up on TVs and play stations, I'm buying ammo.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I know but still people should practice what they preach. If people think America and the UK is a "Christian Nation" at least act like one. Otherwise stop calling themselves Christians.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join