It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My application to join the UK Armed Forces.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: crazyewok

The four ineligible mental health problems were Schizophrenia, OCD, Alcohol & Drug Dependence & PTSD...

No mention of depression, but I'm not sure how long ago you applied.
Edit: the Royal Navy may have different eligibility policies.

You have stated before that you have Schizophrenia.

But meh.

Regardless, do you really think that you are prepared to follow orders, like all of the time?

And to trust a bunch of politicos with your fate? Our Liz and Dave C as your Bosses?

I'm surprised to learn this!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
dp

edit on 23-11-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Having just recently applied for a role as a Soldier in the UK Armed forces, I'd be willing to step foot on the ground to protect the people of the Middle East, as well as the brothers and sisters already serving.

However, I'm worried that hearing voices will stop me from being eligible despite the fact the voices do no control how I act.

If you hear voices, then I would sincerely hope that you are not premitted to join the army. Sorry, but we have the best in the world and however much you think they dont affect you, in a serious firefight defending civillians, evacuating casualties as another earthquake strikes, bringing aid to those suffering ebola, can you be absolutely sure they will not affect your actions?

Kudos for your desire to help people, but not all of us are up to the mark. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
So a muslim convert who is a schizophrenic wants to join the Army?

Mate go back to your new muslim family read the quran and live in peace and im deadly serious about that.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

To be honest buddy, the best thing you can do is not mention these "voices" if you really want to apply - although I would recommend not applying at all as it would be a risk to you and others. Unless of course you have been treated before for them, in which case the Army will have full access to your medical records and will probably decline your application.

I lost out too on an Army application when I was 16 due to medical issues, it almost crushed me, but looking back at how my life has panned out, everything is ok and I am happy. I am considering joining the RAF reserves, I am 32 now.

If you do not get in, there are other options to pursue if you want to find you calling in life. What Regiment were you wanting to join and in what role? What qualifications do you have? I could point you in the right direction, if you'd like?
edit on 23/11/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: KROandSOTV

I'm not sure of the relevance of him being a Muslim has to do with anything. The mental issues, yeah, that is a problem, but the Army has and has always had Muslims who have served and done so with honour.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Well the schizophrenia was a self diagnostic to be honest...

I wasn't too pleased with the medical diagnosis on my voices, so I did a little research...

However I don't really have any of the other symptoms, so I guessed schizophrenia...

I don't mind Liz to be fair to her...
Cameron, eh, I'm not a Tory and I don't like his policies...
However country comes first...

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Ah, you've actually had a diagnosis.... Then you may as well give up, sorry chap. They are the best in the world for a reason. Even in this day and age where they have trouble recruiting, they are still very picky. But they will take one look at your medical record and say "Thanks, but no thanks". You won't even get past the first medical.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Such a pleasant response.

You must be drunk.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

To be honest buddy, the best thing you can do is not mention these "voices" if you really want to apply - although I would recommend not applying at all as it would be a risk to you and others. Unless of course you have been treated before for them, in which case the Army will have full access to your medical records and will probably decline your application.

I lost out too on an Army application when I was 16 due to medical issues, it almost crushed me, but looking back at how my life has panned out, everything is ok and I am happy. I am considering joining the RAF reserves, I am 32 now.

If you do not get in, there are other options to pursue if you want to find you calling in life. What Regiment were you wanting to join and in what role? What qualifications do you have? I could point you in the right direction, if you'd like?

Are you for real Don't mention the voices?

I hope he never makes it into the Army for one reason and one reason only, If he ever had an episode whilst engaged and his comrades were counting on him,and he couldnt do it and they lost their lives through him having a breakdown No just No.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

You may be right about that pal...

However I still feel I owe it to myself to try.

I'm quite confident I'll be able to prove myself even in the medical.

What they'll find on my medical records is just medications...

None have erased the voices...
So I don't know what to expect in all honesty...

edit on 23-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Charlie, if you do get through the assessments, it's the beastings during physicals where you will be targeted. break you down to build you up again. you will be met with silence if you openly speak of your conversion as you will be amongst lads that down large amounts of alcohol, it is the culture. anything picked up from you will potentially be used against you so you may need a duality of mindset to cope. it doesn't matter one iota if you complain as this will set out more division.
now, having said that, good luck, grow a set and try your best.
f.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Trust me, there are plenty of people in the Army who have got through selection without mentioning things - be it drug use, or medical conditions that can be hidden. My dad did 27 years in the Army with one kidney - that's enough to get you thrown out of the selection process.

Also, plenty of serving soldiers have had mental breakdowns and hidden them from colleagues and family, only to go doo-lally on camp. My Uncle stopped a chap back in the 80's who was shooting up the place after a breakdown and got a commendation from Lizzy for his trouble, but apparently "no one saw it coming", despite investigations into it showing he had been under going mental stress for quite some time.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I don't think you understand what an episode is...

Never had one, never will...

I'm mentally capable of anything I put my mind to...
Have never struggled to do a good days work...

& I've never been a danger because of a few annoying voices.

However of course I'll mention the voices...
I'm not trying to cheat my way into service.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Give it a go - it's worth a shot! It's always best to be honest - that's what my Youth Club leader said when I went in, unfortunately I was too honest about my "recreational activities" and they decided that there was a risk of "flashbacks" during combat and decided to not proceed with my application - despite topping out the assessment and being a perfect candidate.

Good luck, but don't build your hopes up, it only feels worse if they let you go.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Thanks Stu...

I'll definitely stay prepared for a let down.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt

It's no where near as bad as that - maybe in the 70's and 80's, but not now. They have support services in place, for example, especially after Deepcut.

And there are no "beastings". They will strip you down and build you up, but it's done in a constructive way and despite what people might think about Squaddies, they're not all into drinking themselves to oblivion.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Such a pleasant response.

You must be drunk.

No Charlie dont take this the wrong way.

My Dad served in the royal navy from 1960 to 1988
My mom served in the royal navy from 1962 to 1974
My 2 brothers served in the 4-2 commando royal marines
My eldest brother served in the scots guards until he died fighting a war on a lie for blair the chunt

You are a muslim no matter what you will be looked on with suspicion by the serving soldiers.And thats has come from the horses mouth.
Secondly you have schizophrenia not really a good idea to join the armed forces is it.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Like I said, there are other choices...

I was going to join REME as an Electronics engineer - after my rejection, I joined an apprenticeship with Nortel (the now defunct comms company) and not looked back. I'm on more money now that I would be in a Senior NCO role had I joined the Army (by now I'd expect to be Sgt if not a WO) plus I have the freedom that comes with being a civvy.

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I don't see why I'd be seen as suspicious just for being Muslim...

And the schizophrenia was a self diagnosis after some internet research...

My actual diagnosis from the consultants is treatable and not long term.
edit on 23-11-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join