It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Vets enlist with Peshmerga to battle ISIS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

I got put on this Earth to do one thing," explained one of the men, who served in Afghanistan and who spoke with CBC on condition he not be identified. "I got this fire in me. I still want to soldier on."

Fighting ISIS: Canadian-Israeli Gill Rosenberg first foreign woman to joins Kurds in Syria
It emerged two weeks ago that Gill Rosenberg, a Canadian-Israeli, had become the first female foreign fighter to join the Kurds fighting ISIS. (Facebook)

He characterized Canada's military response to ISIS as "OK, but it's definitely not adequate," and said there should be "boots on the ground."

The man said he plans to enlist with four or five other friends from the military, and has few compunctions about possibly encountering fellow Canadians fighting for ISIS on the other side.

Here we go......trying to protect the oppressed and the defenceless.....
How long before the military boots hit the sand dunes?
Mc Cain is in Canada shouting for coalition soldiers on the ground at the Halifax security conference.....
Canada is getting its legal ducks in a row to bomb Syria as well....
All ion all, its shaping up to be a very nice little war........
The "highway of heroes" will be reopening soon.....
Where are the Saudi,Quatari< Iraqi, and Lebanese troops?
We need to see some serious fighting by the real interested parties before we send our own.....

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

There are people from all over travelling to join the Peshmerga and the YPG.

If somebody wants to help the Kurds fight ISIS that's their own personal choice.

I don't see anything wrong with that do you?

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I was listening to some story on NPR and there are some former US soldiers also in joining the fight...

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The Kurds, Syrians and Iraqis need all the help they can get to combat ISIS. As long as foreign fighters for these Kurdish groups are not breaking any laws (national and international) in joining them to fight ISIS, then i see no problem with it.

That said, i do personally support the deployment of troops to aid in the fight against ISIS. The longer we leave it, the worse it will get. We should have tackled them before they had the chance to strengthen their presence and gain footholds.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: seabhac-rua

There are people from all over travelling to join the Peshmerga and the YPG.

If somebody wants to help the Kurds fight ISIS that's their own personal choice.

I don't see anything wrong with that do you?

No problem except when these stories are used to drum up support for the use of our general forces. Oh and look, we have an Israeli born citizen fighting on Canada's behalf; or so it is written to believe.

This is a PR campaign to drum up support. If people want to go that is one thing, our MSM supporting it as heroics and shelved for our warmongering PM to grab and use against voters and opposition is pure pathetic and a disgrace.

Good post Sterling!
edit on 22-11-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Saw this on the news last night except there's one MAJOR catch. It's ok to go overseas to fight for Canada with the Kurds except there's an organization (forgot the name) which is considered by Ca as a terrorist group among the Kurds. If you run into them, meet them, directly or indirectly, then as per Canada's new anti-terrorist laws, you'll be guilty of association.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Reminds me of this guy

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I am too old for such adventures now....but it seems a worthy cause to go.......they are a wonderful people who have not deserved a history of scrapping for existence....

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Look, there's always going to be people who try to use these things to their advantage, everybody knows that.

It doesn't diminish the actions of these people in any way, as far as I'm concerned it is heroic what they're doing.

All you're doing is trying to put a negative slant on things, just like politicians will try to use a story for their own benefit, you'll go ahead and fit it into your worldview. The reality is being ignored, these people are putting their lives on the line to help the Kurds.

edit on 22-11-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Not at all....Seabag....Its more like the MSM touting these dedicated people to the world to drum up sentiment for war.....( A very taudry tactic in my view.....)
Surely you must realise the ISIS group are a creation of the people behind them, and not just some dedicated maniacs.....?
The ISIS scenario is more of a ploy for regime change in Syria, as well as deeper machinations of the Saudi led group of countries....
edit on 22-11-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You make of ISIS what you will, and don't be telling me what to think laddie.

I reckon you should contact any of the Kurdish people fighting the Islamic State via FB, which isn't that hard to do, and ask them "whats the problem guys, you're only fighting a ploy" see what kind of answer you get.

These people need help. And I for one think that highlighting the efforts of people who leave their lives of comfort, their families, and who are prepared to put themselves in harms way in order to help the Kurds, I think it's a good thing.

edit on 22-11-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
These volunteers are have the right to risk their lives if they choose to.But they certainly don't necessarily repesent their respective countries polices though.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
how is this any different from the" Muslim Terrorist" who had his family killed in Afghanistan buy an invading force "USA" -then decides to go fight against them because his people are being killed and oppressed?

or mercenaries going to fight for money ?

Why is it ok for them to go and Fight the ISIS ? they are doing the exact same thing other people are doing who are "Pro ISIS "
they go and fight because they believe "their people are being oppressed and murdered"

here is the difference , the world has labeled the ISIS , and other non associated groups as "the enemy " or "terrorist"
and to have such a title means your automatically worthy of death , no questions asked... therefore its now OK to go and kill the "terrorist" , when in reality they are doing the same thing as the" terrorist "

i don't know i don't fully understand how two wrongs can make a right .

just as the ISIS are labeled as heroes among them self's , to to shall the people who are going to fight for the YPG ?Kurds.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

These people need help. And I for one think that highlighting the efforts of people who leave their lives of comfort, their families, and who are prepared to put themselves in harms way in order to help the Kurds, I think it's a good thing.

spoken like a true jihadi .......

just saying ...

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

There's a big difference between the YPG and ISIS.

If you had been paying any attention to what's been happening in Kobane, and it's outlying regions, over the past 8/9 weeks, for example, you probably wouldn't write a post like you just did.

People can go on about how ISIS are a construct designed for this reason and that, but it's what they are doing and who they are doing it to that I personally find more the pressing issue.

Believe me, no matter what way you cut it, ISIS are an entity worth destroying or at least defending innocent people from.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

You're obviously also ignorant of what a Jihadi is.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

ISIS beheads children. They publicly behead people for not following their version of Islam and then post their heads on pikes in city squares. They take large amounts of prisoners (many of whom are noncombatants) and commit mass executions. In some cases, they have even buried large amounts of people alive. They are indoctrinating children to grow up and do the same things.

How can you even compare the two? The peshmerga are fighting for their lives. ISIS wants kurdish territory, and peshmerga forces are not going to give it to them without a fight.

I see what you are trying to get at, but the two groups are night and day when it comes to not only how they treat their enemies, but also when it comes to how they treat noncombatants and people of other faiths.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

If you had been paying any attention to what's been happening in Kobane, and it's outlying regions, over the past 8/9 weeks, for example, you probably wouldn't write a post like you just did.

People can go on about how ISIS are a construct designed for this reason and that, but it's what they are doing and who they are doing it to that I personally find more the pressing issue.

Believe me, no matter what way you cut it, ISIS are an entity worth destroying or at least defending innocent people from.

i am not trying to defend the ISIS , i am just trying to make valid point's that people who are going to fight with YPG are of the same mind set as a "Muslim " who goes and fights with ISIS , they are fighting under the same ideas .

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

You're obviously also ignorant of what a Jihadi is.

no i am not Ignorant , i have studied Islam and "jihad" for many years , and i am currently working on a book about Extremism in Islam .

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Walsh

i am not trying to defend the ISIS , i am just trying to make valid point's that people who are going to fight with YPG are of the same mind set as a "Muslim " who goes and fights with ISIS , they are fighting under the same ideas .

No, they aren't. One group is fighting to kill anyone that opposes their religion, the other group is defending themselves from that ideology and does not persecute minorities. Their ideas are diametrically opposed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join