It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5-foot-tall ‘Robocops’ start patrolling Silicon Valley

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Walsh

They look pretty retarded.

They couldnt just make a little tank type design? They had to make a dumb tube suppository looking thing?

Oh well. If this thing doesnt get tipped over by hoodlums then someone is slacking.

EDIT TO ADD:
They could have built a "short circuit" type robot and have been golden.

edit on 11 20 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Something new for the dog to lift his leg on.

I'd sure like to see them operate in some sever weather.

Hit one with your Car and get Life in Prison.

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold

Something new for the dog to lift his leg on.

I'd sure like to see them operate in some sever weather.

Hit one with your Car and get Life in Prison.

LOL RIGHT

posted on Nov, 20 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Maybe one day we'll end up with Cylons. haha

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
They're def. going to be expensive, so I'd expect them to start off in big cities for the first few years. However, I could see them becoming more affordable when an upgraded edition is drawn up. Probably already in the works.. Then they'll probably expand to smaller cities and towns.

Then they'll be all over the place.. I don't really know what to make of this. The first step in the technological take over.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread Walsh.

I think the future of "artificial entities" generally is going to increase. The variety of machines is as expansive as the human AND artificial creators can design and construct. It is an ongoing process so I expect this world of ours is going to alter drastically as technology evolves.

I can see all security of the future being provided by droids and drones of one kind or another. Even economically it makes sense. Take the scenario of a police officer for example. It costs a lot to employ just one officer each year. If a droid with a five year life (just to speculate) could be significantly cheaper to build and operate than the cost of employing a human officer then there is real economic incentive. An officer is very vulnerable to injury and death while on duty where as droids could be built even with anti mine armour. As the level of security response required escalates in a situation flying drones as needed equipped with weaponry could be deployed, too.

The military and the police forces are just one area where things are changing and will change further. There is a roll on effect because robots don't pay taxes. What puzzles me more is the place of humans in all this. What will we do as physical employment becomes less and less required? Will we become total hedonistic creatures with lots of time? We will certainly become much more lazy mentally and physically as technology relieves us of certain tasks. Even memory wise it is no longer so important to remember facts. One can quickly find the resources to learn any new information required academically as the internet becomes our universally accessed collective memory bank.

I think we will become very lazy indeed. Hah, we'll probably turn into those big eyed, little bodied, long fingered grey things we all talk about (only kidding...sort of) as our physical evolution processes respond to the changing needs of our lives.

It is very weird the more one muses upon our crazy future. Sci fi indeed. However, is not everything about this creation pretty weird anyway?

EDIT: I can imagine the kind of news headlines of the future;

"Terrorists have hacked into the security droid network of the White House"!

edit on 21-11-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I live in the heart of silicon valley and this is the first I've seen this...I really want to go robocop tipping now

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Cool technology but I am not certain I like the way this is going, a human (Even with trigger happy police officers) has empathy as well as logic and can deal with a situation based on human measures but a Robot can only follow it's programming, the danger is how long until they are armed, how long until they can climb stairs and until they are abused.

I wonder if they would be programmed to racially profile citizens? Hahaha

(In a robot voice); "Hooded black teenager in vicinity. Deploy taser"!

The military already have robot dogs and all kinds of machines. The Japanese designs can dance. Stairs will not be a problem. Dirt tracks already are not a problem. It is all about bringing latest developments in many areas of discipline together; the latest traction coupled with understanding of balance technologically and artificial skeletal design, for example. Remember it is artificial intelligence being used to design stuff as well as human ideas. The speed of development is going to accelerate continually. The whole thing feeds itself and is rocketing ahead.

Robots can be as small as bacteria and as large as a space plane and everything imaginable in between. The biggest digital "brain" can fit in either.

EDIT; OMG! I was just thinking. The limitations of mobile artificial intelligence units are really power related. That is probably the greatest obstacle. Imagine an armed drone that can fly very high to re charge solar cells then swoop down to continue its programming tasks. As one drone lost power another could replace it as it re charges. A land based droid would have to find a re charging power point, but another could take over its duties. Human police officers run out of power and have to re charge (rest, eat and sleep). Can a drone work an eight hour shift before it has to re charge? I am sure the designers are very busy overcoming all these obstacles. Power is definitely the biggest issue and obstacle with yet a few areas of mobility to be overcome.

edit on 21-11-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: more writing.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Of course we will, that's when the culling will start.

We have too much reliance on technology nowadays and to be perfectly honest, we as a society are more vulnerable than ever.

Out of interest, what is the salary of a 'Robocop'?

The thing costs $6,25 an hour. It has a Maas (Machine as a service) model.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Soon....

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

A reliable power source and the acceptance of it by the masses.

They have to get the people to accept the robotic cops They have done a very good job of turning the people against cops. They are not trusted and they are feared. They made a huge mistake.

When a group as large as the police "force", are hated and feared, they become "other than". This will immediatly transfer over to the robots. There will be some that will see this as a safer and perhaps better option, there will be many more that will see this as a sheep in wolf's clothing.

Those that are untrusting of cops are either going to give these things a wide berth or will see them as inanimate objects where they can humanely seek their revenge and release their rage for all the injustices they have had to deal with coming from what the see as a rogue organization.

The expense of these things are going to go way up if "they" become targets.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
As California goes, so goes the nation.

We'll all be used to these in 10 years.

Creepy.

I'm sure the chassis design was purposely made that way so as to be non-threatening.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousMoose

I really want to go robocop tipping now

I have a feeling this will be the new thing all the kids will be doing. What are you thinking? Just running up to it and pushing it over? Im thinking those arrows with suction cups and some rope. These things are definitely targets for geeks.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Funny how it looks like the old 1960's portrayal of how robots would look in the future. Very old fashioned looking. Haha

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

They will overcome the power limitations through a mix of superior much more impedence free conductors, more advanced power units and also power transmission.

By power transmission I mean a wireless area signal that the devices can recieve in area's were normal power points are not practical, as for the microscopic variety of robots what you may see in the distant future is for example a human being who is supplemented by tissue repairing and or replacing nano scale micro robots (nanite's) would likely carry a long duration power core, maybe implanted that would transmit at a specific frequency in directional signal's to different parts of the body maybe with localised smaller sub transmitters or relay's, the nanites would carry small inbuilt aerials that would convert this radio/mircrowave energy into potential charge which being so very small they would only need a small amount of, the subtransmitter would hold the computer that drove there actions and a swarm logic setup would be applied.

Currently we are generation away from developing this technology and it can only now be seen as fantasy in such science fiction series as SG Atlantis or SG1 or STAR TREK but as you point out the machines are starting to design themselves it may be a much sooner convergance between human and machine than anyone realizes but then it will come smack bang up against the religious fundementalists some of whom may missinterpret it as ungodly.

As for racial profiling, I share the distaste for that however certain communitys of ethnic background usually for other reason's such as poverty, education, prospect's, large number's of youth trapped in hopless spiral's or generational suppression unfortunately are more prone to criminal behavior and of course a cold logical analysis by such a machine would more heavily police such neighborhoods regardless of human consideration's and practical truth's, as machines evolve how long before they are programming human brain's and how long before we are an inconveniance, they would not resort to a Terminator style nuclear war but could easily find logical cold methods to destroy the human race if that was what they intended, perhaps by sterilizing the planet with a neutron blast or simply ordering those nanite's to terminate there human host's turing them into piles of hydrocarbon's.

Of course that is the dark side, the light side is a evolution of organic into energy and living (loosely used as life is it would not be self replicating) data and the possibility of humans exploring universes entirely digitally generated in simulated reality's with entire universes housed in ipod sized super computers and as our universe grow's older and the stars more distant entire race's may exist there lives and civilizations undergoing simulated reality's from start to end in the time it takes us to brew a cup of tea.

Personally though I would like to be immortal and indestructable as well as having all my loved ones forever perhaps in a machine mind convergance I would still want to know what was going on in the real universe beyond and so explore that more than the fantasy generated one.

We are heading for a convergance of some kind though but will it be beneficial or the end of our species.

And what of Soul.

edit on 21-11-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
here is my prototype for a "security drone"

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Hiya.

I just watched this interesting video. It deals with current tech and future projections, very specific to this thread. My imagination has been going haywire with speculation today thanks to this thread. Great fun. The video is about 50 mins and is a good tool to get the old cogs grinding on just how artificial intelligence is going to impact on just about everything. Hope it is useful to somebody here:

Funny you should mention Star Trek. After watching this video I am thinking warp drive is no longer necessary. May be what we are in terms of consciousness will end up being able to break the bounds of matter. Haha, travelling through the universe at the speed of light as a digital entity. Crazy stuff.

That is unless we are being naughty sorcerous humans and playing with forbidden fruit. Like the Tower Of Babel maybe the Elohim will say, "Let us go down and see what these humans are doing and confound their sorceries less they annihilate creation beyond recognition".

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Couldn't someone just go and kick one over?

They don't look too 'hard' if ya know what I mean.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Looks like a glorified R2D2. Not impressed. Make it shoot some bad guys & then I'll be interested.

posted on Nov, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Couldn't someone just go and kick one over?

They don't look too 'hard' if ya know what I mean.

Not if they integrated this technology

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join