It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet landing: Organic molecules detected by Philae

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

I guess this new probe data supports and reinforces the notion of Panspermia.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-11-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

I think the results came from the atmospheric tests done

When they say "sniff" the atmosphere, are they directly "capturing" a sample or just looking at light refracted through the atmosphere with a spectrum analyzer? The article is vague, they confirm "organic compounds" but then say stuff like this:

The lander's Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer (APXS), designed to provide information on the elemental composition of the surface, seems to have partially seen a signal from its own lens cover - which could have dropped off at a strange angle because Philae was not lying flat.

I know whomever wrote the article keeps saying the surface, but whatever is coming off the surface is from the surface of the comet. Could just be a misinterpretation of instruments and their actual function. On my part as well.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

10-20 cm of Dust then water ice?

I can think of a simile to this. After a fresh fallen snow on Earth, the plows leave giant banks at the edge of your property. First it is pristine and white, but after it starts to melt it gets dirtier and dirtier, until there is a surface of black soot on top of the ice. This happens because the impure, dirt in the plowed snow is consolidated out as the snow melts.

A similar process may be responsible on the comet. It is a kind of dirty snowball if you will, and as the Sun causes out-gassing and the volatile ices are ablated out into the tail, the dirty part (carbon and amino acids part) wind up eventually as a covering over the entire frozen watery matrix of the pristine comet.

I think it makes scientific sense.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

its difficult to ascertain . they do not associate the German made part that sniffed the atmos with the later referenced APXS, maybe they are referring to the test on the soil drilled? either way it will be fun watching these muddy waters spread

funbox

edit on 18-11-2014 by funbox because: they

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

either way it will be fun watching these muddy waters spread

I agree. Especially this part…

Scientists are hopeful however that as Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko approaches the Sun in coming months, Philae's solar panels will see sunlight again. This might allow the batteries to re-charge, and enable the lander to perform science once more.

"There's a trade off - once it gets too hot, Philae will die as well. There is a sweet spot," said Prof McCaughrean.

Ground control:

"Hello, lander? Are you there?"

Open the pod bay doors Hal.

I'm sorry Dave, I don't have enough power to do that.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It seems most likely that if they were to drill down just under the surface, they would discover that there is organic matter mixed right in with the top few layers of the comet as well... maybe gathered and built up over time as a comet whizzes through interstellar dust clouds ?

Surely interstellar clouds are loaded with dust particles, ice particles, organic matter, etc etc ?

So it only makes sense that comets would have this stuff clinging to it and building up as it travels through these clouds over the millenia.

Just my two pennies worth.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

You're right - it's not dead at all.

It hasn't landed as they'd hoped, but it's been put into hibernation until the comet is closer to the sun. With a bit of luck, it'll be much brighter as it gets closer and the little fella will be able to charge up properly.

This project is most likely delayed, not ruined.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I am also waiting for the little bugger to recharge .. its not IF , its when , and then hopefully we shall still be in a good position.

A giant dirty snowball ! Star for person above and some great comments

Did you know it bounced three times?

this article below is a wealth of information regarding the little craft.

Newspaper Article

I believe this was from the atmosphere of the comet, cant wait for it to awaken and start drilling again... if we can change position ( doubtful would they not have done this already if possible?)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So this is what Philae can do....

I believe they said they detected the organics with Cosac instrument

Dr Fred Goessmann, principal investigator on the Cosac instrument, which made the organics detection, confirmed the find to BBC News. But he added that the team was still trying to interpret the results.

so the question is, in the picture Above, where the Cosac instrument is located, is this testing the light? or substances in the atmosphere disturbed by the hammer? They said no soil samples were returned to the oven so its not that. maybe someone more knowledgeable can tie the exact purpose of the instrument that detected this.

Q

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

if they'd waited a few years maybe they could have a probe that can survive the event horizon , nevermind 20 cm of snow and a dicky battery

durable , like this one

[snip]

strange, quirky ,creepy personality too l

funbox

edit on 18-11-2014 by funbox because: -x2 =

edit on 18/11/14 by masqua because: removed very large gif

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Trace amounts of gold, arsenic, lead, copper etc are found in our bodies so every element is "organic".

Just a play on words to make it sound as if they found life when they didn't find squat.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Trace amounts of gold, arsenic, lead, copper etc are found in our bodies so every element is "organic".

WHAT ????

For something to be organic it has to contain oxygen and carbon.

Those elements you have listed don't.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

WHAT ????

For something to be organic it has to contain oxygen and carbon.

Those elements you have listed don't.

Plus they said they had confirmed Carbon based material...
so i don't think they are going on your list of trace elements

Q

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Apparently when it first la ded it should have anchored down but something didnt work correctly and it bounced and fell down near large cliff where there is hardly any sunlight to recharge batteries however they dont want to attempt to bounce it again because it is not anchored down so they are now just playing a waiting game for when it is in a better position to re eive sunlight only then will they know if it has managed to stay in position on comet. Thats my understanding anyway from what was said on news.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Heres a helpful read and an excellent site to dig through about the various experiments.

Cosac

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The surface of a comet is unstable. When it heats up it will be a nightmare for little unanchored bots.

I can't imagine what prompted them to put all the technical wizardry into it whilst forgoing some kind of emergency back up power. is this a Fukushima debacle?

Well, we could install a back up to the back up generator but the worst case scenario is unlikely, so…

As it turns out its the first case scenario. Now they hope the drained battery will recharge months from now. Frozen and drained. We'll see.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

What is the point of sending a probe beyond a black holes event horizon?
Any data it collected would never reach back to earth as radio waves light waves nothing can escape the gravity pull of a black hole.
Besides it would take thousands and thousands of years to even reach the nearest detected black hole.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well if this little bugger truly landed on the Comet, that is a huge accomplishment in itself. Hopefully the batteries will not be too frozen to power back up when the time comes. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ecossiepossie

your right , there's no point , apparently the singularity is a place full of memory, maybe like a universal usb stick yet with infinite mass , and plush brushed metal finishing's, a control room that houses the ability to effect the universe you have touched to influence its fabric/pattern

sending a probe would be infinitely pointless

funbox

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join