It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is your favorite extinct animal??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
anything extinct qualifies...land, sea, air....whatev
im curious here because im hoping to find some other cool animals to read about....

i will start with a couple of my favorites...

first i have to go with

Gigantopithecus blacki
en.wikipedia.org...
Based on the fossil evidence, adult male Gigantopithecus blacki are believed to have stood about 3 m (9.8 ft) tall and weighed as much as 540 kg (1,190 lb)
--------------

you know they were some bad boys...wish i could go back in time and see one

Raphus cucullatus(dodo bird)
en.wikipedia.org...
Subfossil remains show the dodo was about 1 metre (3.3 feet) tall and may have weighed 10–18 kg (22–40 lb) in the wild.
It has been depicted with brownish-grey plumage, yellow feet, a tuft of tail feathers, a grey, naked head, and a black, yellow, and green beak.
---------------------

Velociraptor
en.wikipedia.org...
Velociraptor was a mid-sized dromaeosaurid, with adults measuring up to 2.07 m (6.8 ft) long, 0.5 m (1.6 ft) high at the hip, and weighing up to 15 kg (33 lb).[4] The skull, which grew up to 25 cm (9.8 in) long, was uniquely up-curved, concave on the upper surface and convex on the lower. The jaws were lined with 26–28 widely spaced teeth on each side, each more strongly serrated on the back edge than the front

--------------------------

i have lots more but thats off the top of my head.....

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Saber Toothed Tiger!

Awesome big cat!

P

edit on 3/11/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I like the platybelodon.
They are just so crazy looking.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The rational human being. JK

The Irish deer/elk. Quite a large deer.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The American Moderate.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Titanosaur
simple.wikipedia.org...
Titanosaurs hold the world record for the size of a land animal. A recent discovery in the Argentine found 150 bones from seven titanosaurs. The largest were from an animal 40 metres (~130 feet) long and 20 metres (35 feet) tall. It would have weighed about 77 tonnes
------------------

there were so many cool animals...

i would never want to see animals like these locked up but it would be kind of cool if a jurassic park type of place was real...
i dont even like going to the zoo but if some place had a giganto i would have to check it out...
of course i have been to a zoo but it really bothers me....

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Great Auk

There was a colony of them not far from where I grew up, but we missed each other by about a hundred years

Pinguinus Impennis

edit on 3-11-2014 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Leviathan. ;p

Ok, on a more serious note, the Giant Sloth. I can't fathom that.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

The cockroach or duck billed platypus.

Good times, great times.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I've heard of two foot wingspan dragon flies and roaches the size of dinner plates.

It s an Ugly planet. A Buuug Planet!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Saber tooth is up there, but the dodo fascinates me. It wasn't as dumb as Pixar made it out to be but still had issues (obviously). I want to see one though.

It's also sad to think that someday soon my daughter will answer "elephant" to this question,

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I miss Nessie, I liked it more when you still could think it might be there.

The creature I would have loved to see in real life wondering around has to be the Woolly Mammoth.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hard to choose because I am an animal lover and hate that extinction happens. But one that always intrigued me is the Tazmanian Tiger: Thylacine (extinct since 1936)

Info

Basically a killer dog/kitty/kangaroo/zebra thingie. Gorgeous animal and a marvel of nature.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seabhac-rua

that dude is cool...
how about the elephant bird?
en.wikipedia.org...

The explorer and traveler Marco Polo also mentions very large birds in accounts of his journeys to the East during the 13th and 14th centuries. These earlier accounts are today believed to describe elephant birds.[4] Aepyornis, believed to have been more than 3 m (10 ft) tall and weighing close to 400 kg (880 lb),[5] was at the time the world's largest bird. Remains of Aepyornis adults and eggs have been found; in some cases the eggs have a circumference of more than 1 m (3 ft 3 in) and a length up to 34 cm (13 in).[6] The egg volume is about 160 times greater than that of a chicken egg

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
realistically, the dodo. what a lovely bird.

but i would really love seeing one of these bad boys chasing down some prey:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd love to have seen any of the extinct domesticated dogs that were bred by native north Americans. There was a breed here on the coast of canada that were bred exclusively for their white wool that was used in weaving. The last one passed in the 30's or 40's.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Tazmanian Tiger: Thylacine (extinct since 1936)

Many in Tasmania would dispute the extinct status. There are many wilderness areas where it could still survive to this day but obviously, in very small numbers if it does.

Very easy to get it mixed up with wild dogs.

P

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Lonesome George
en.wikipedia.org...

All the wolves we've managed to drive to extinction since the 19th century
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Saber Toothed Tiger!

Awesome big cat!

P

Allways loved the saber tooth, such a ferouicious looking beast.

It's a wonder though, how did it eat? Those saber tooths just look like they would be pretty much worthless and just get in the way.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This time of year I like the elephant bird. It would make a great thanksgiving dinner. I could invite all my relatives and friends. Now, at a half hour a pound stuffed to cook it and it probably would run about three hundred pounds dressed, it would have to cook for six days. I'd need a hell of an oven.

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about eating them

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join