It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MODS... Love them or hate them...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Hahaaaaaa.... you were expecting a general picking or brown nosing on moderators thread here but sadly I am afraid this has nothing to do with the great Mods that we finf here on ATS...

Another type of Mod altogether :

The ones that had that highly hilarious Paul Weller haircut from the group "The Jam" and wore parkers with massive big targets on the back which basically meant 'If you are into heavy metal music please fight with me)... AND not forgetting the scooter with hundreds of mirrors... (We used to call those Vespas and Lambrettas hairdryers...)

For many of the Brits out there (and maybe other international members) there was a culture over in the Uk dating back from the 60s and still ongoing to this very day, but however much rarer called the MOD culture) :

Mod is a British youth subculture of the early to mid-1960s and was briefly revived in later decades. Focused on music and fashion, the subculture has its roots in a small group of London-based stylish young men in the late 1950s who were termed modernists because they listened to modern jazz.

Significant elements of the mod subculture include fashion (often tailor-made suits); music (including soul, ska, and R&B); and motor scooters (usually Lambretta or Vespa).

The original mod scene was associated with amphetamine-fuelled all-night dancing at clubs.]

More here : en.wikipedia.org...

This is what they looked like :

And this :

This was and still is the type of music that they listened and still listen to :

However I ABSOLUTELY HATED the style and scooterboy image... the music was just wicked...

And this :

The Who... Quadrophenia :

SO... love MODS or hate them... their music choice was pretty good...

Anyone here remember that generation?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 31/10/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
i hated mods in the early 80's.
I was a rude boy listening to the specials, the selector, the beat etc.

We used to go looking for mods for a fight on Bray seafront every sunday afternoon back in the day
Good times.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
i hated mods in the early 80's.
I was a rude boy listening to the specials, the selector, the beat etc.

We used to go looking for mods for a fight on Bray seafront every sunday afternoon back in the day
Good times.

Rude boy was like Northern sould no?... Scrapping music.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus
And they were always getting into fights with the Rockers.
For all we know, there may be a lot of Rockers on ATS.
In fact, for the lovers of paradox, there is the distinct possibility that some of our Mods may be Rockers.

(Or perhaps Teddy Boys)

edit on 31-10-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
One of my first boyfriends was a mod in the early 80's, I was about 12, he was one of the tallest and best looking boys in our year. I recall he wore a vintage parka with the stickers etc. We listened to the Jam which was okay and some other mod music.

I also have some friends I have known since childhood that are still mods, they still ride to Isle of Wight on their scooters in their mod clothes, and they play in a mod band. They are now in their 40's.

I never got into mod clothes thankfully nor into the music, I never really followed any 'scene' per se, preferring my own style of clothes, music and individuality.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

But, the first paragraph is contradictory. It sure looks like you ate a soft chocolate bar at the end of the sentence.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Sh"t scared you mean?

Nawwww just wanted to have some fun!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

originally posted by: rickymouse

But, the first paragraph is contradictory. It sure looks like you ate a soft chocolate bar at the end of the sentence.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
One of my first boyfriends was a mod in the early 80's, I was about 12, he was one of the tallest and best looking boys in our year. I recall he wore a vintage parka with the stickers etc. We listened to the Jam which was okay and some other mod music.

I also have some friends I have known since childhood that are still mods, they still ride to Isle of Wight on their scooters in their mod clothes, and they play in a mod band. They are now in their 40's.

I never got into mod clothes thankfully nor into the music, I never really followed any 'scene' per se, preferring my own style of clothes, music and individuality.

Shame on you for snogging a MOD in his vintage parka my dear....

You shoulf have gone out with a Ted/punk or headbanger.... THEY had Style...

Kindest respects

Rod

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
And they were always getting into fights with the Rockers.
For all we know, there may be a lot of Rockers on ATS.
In fact, for the lovers of paradox, there is the distinct possibility that some of our Mods may be Rockers.

(Or perhaps Teddy Boys)

At 10 years old I had saved up enough pocket money to get my first 2 pairs of fluofrescent pink and grren socks...

At 11 years old I had a paper round for 13 quid a week and managed to buy a pair of false clak suede creepers

At 12 years old I got my head kicked in by a MOD for wearing both of the above...

At 11 and a half I became a Punk and no-one else bothered me again...

At 14 years old I became a Psychobilly/Rockabilly....

At 15 years old got my head kicked in by a bunch of puffy blokes in Mod Parkas...

At 16 years old got big time into New Wave and decided that NEVER again would a MOD cause me any hassle...

At 17 years old, got threatened with a MOD with a flick knife and kicked the crap out of him and his mate in self defense...

At 48 years old... Bollocks to the lot of them... I have my own style and listen to all types of music and enjoy it too without the fear of having my head smashed in...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I did, my next long term boyfriend was a mod turned 'rocker' but really just wore some weird boots, spiked hair and an earring whilst listening to more 'rock' style music, thankfully I influenced his style and the spiked hair, earring and weird boots went.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

I did, my next long term boyfriend was a mod turned 'rocker' but really just wore some weird boots, spiked hair and an earring whilst listening to more 'rock' style music, thankfully I influenced his style and the spiked hair, earring and weird boots went.

AHHHHH...

A Goth... so to speak?

oOOOOOO I am still a little into that but unfortunately Mrs R always laughs at me and collapses into a huge gibbering heap when I come out of the bath and spike up what hair is left on my head?

But nuts to that... I still wear my black and sombre clothes from time to time... maybe tomorrow night when I go out and try to scare the poo out of a couple of grannies in my black clown of death outfit... erm... no... we are recording for OOTB...

Warmest

Rod
edit on 31/10/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

He wasn't a goth, I think the boots were boxer boots, white fabric with red and white stripes, he was probably confused and never had much taste in clothes, also there was a lot of tensions between mods and other groups and he was learning guitar so probably felt restricted that as a mod he was only allowed to listen to mod music, when I met him he was practicing Hendrix and Zep, and the mods would have hated that.

ETA I just googled boxer boots and they are mod boots, perhaps he was in transition, mod boots and spiked hair, as I said he was a bit confused, perhaps in more ways than just 'style'.

I have often and still do, wear a lot of black, Coco Chanel style IMO but in the 80's often wore darkish lipstick and often got called a goth, but wasn't.

When is OOTB recording, is it tonight or tomorrow? I am unsure if I am even invited as part of OOTB anymore, I don't go on the facebook page often enough and sometimes can't do the schedule for it due it being 8pm or midnight.
edit on 31-10-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join