It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student wearing rosary, gets arrested...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane
a reply to: whyamIhere

So now a rosary is a gang item....!? I hope someone told mother Teresa that before she died.....as she carried one most of her life. I wonder what gang she was in? She is now a Saint.

You american people make me laugh....you all post crap like this news clip on sites and moan and whine but not one of you do a god damn thing. NOT one of you uses your actual balls to confront this kind of atrocity that is sweeping your nation like wildfire.

I see Americans as one of the most cowardly people on the planet..they TALK big and all that but none of you are fighting back against a tyrannical presence. Good thing you all worship the 2nd amendment and put that to good use....that is a joke of course because you wont ever fight anything that could possibly beat you!! You would rather take it in the *** and then moan about it and express rage but actually do nothing!!

The MOST powerful nation on the planet protecting the most spineless people on the planet!!

When did you Americans become this way? What are you all SO scared of? What has become of the American voice and the Americans desire to fight for what is right? You have been crushed before you even started!!!

well said, and 100% true.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

resisting arrest ?

I didnt know this city had laws in place to ARREST someone for refusing to adhere to private property dress code rules, especially in an after school function that the schools rules may not even apply to. What you read this schools dress code rules? How about having a basic understanding of the law and a police officers role in its enforcement?

If it was against the Churches stance on wearing rosaries in such a fashion, call his priest.

If it was against a dress code violation, call a teacher or property manager.

It is no where illegal in organic law either city, state or federal to violate a dress code for a private institution. The cop cant even write him a ticket for it.

There is NO LAW that this LAW ENFORCEMENT officer could enforce to even ask him to comply with his schools dress code. The cop as a guest cant even ask him to leave. Its not HIS PROPERTY. Even if the school asked for him to remove people for what ever reason he has to ask them each time just in case to legally protect himself from over stepping his bounds and risking a law suit for the city he is supposed to protect the interests of. The cop didnt even know for sure that this KID attended that school. Besides, its rules for a private institution. This officer is acting in the name of the corporation of the city he represents. Apples and prostitutes.

The fact you guys defend him blindly is a sign of how far we have fallen. Could he have been talked into tucking it in? SURE, by a teacher or school representative that his parents agreed to have do such a thing when they enrolled him into that school. NOT a cop whose job is to enforce laws, NOT rules for a school.

How can he be arrested for a dress code violation? How can he resist what is not even a legal arrest? The cop had NO RIGHT to touch him if no crime was committed. What you forgot that or chose to ignore it?

edit on 10 31 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker
The question was asked about rosaries being used in gang activities. I was merely answering that question about how such is viewed and where it came from.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Looking at the details of the information as presented.

1. Suspect is in violation of dress code and is asked to vacate the property, or remove offending article.
2. Suspect does not comply, and is in violation of trespass law.
3. Police enforcement of trespass is warranted.

As it is (apparently) private property, First Amendment rights don't come into play, at all.

If I've missed something, I would welcome the correction.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

The school decides who is trespassing on THEIR property for dress code violations. Not a public servant. The school who has a contract with his legal guardians (as a minor that he is) is the one to take disciplinary action. NOT a cop. If they asked him to leave and he refused then the cop comes into play. NOT before.

The cop started and ended this whole ordeal. Dumb cop. I hope the city is sued by the school the kid and school board so the next fiscal year has to reduce all the OT and cut all pay increases for his entire precinct or the whole city's law enforcement payroll budget over this one idiots hard on for dress code rules.

You missed that.

For all you know the school is mortified by the bad press this is generating and could sue themselves.

This type of cop is a cities worst nightmare. His single career could cost the tax payers thousands or millions of dollars in litigation. For what? His service?

Please, People like this cop make budgets smaller and smaller.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

My bad. I think I might have replied to your comment on accident. I meant to reply to the OP.

edit on 31-10-2014 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

The school -did- decide who is trespassed. That is why the officer had justification for approaching the suspect. The school asked the LEO to take action on their behalf.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

When was the school even INFORMED of this violation? After the cop decided to get all macho and retarded?

He decided it was in violation and decided to take matters into his own hands.

He should have called a school official to talk to the kid. You know he didnt do that until the kid was already under "arrest" for this violation. I would also like to see if he was even arrested. Was he ever arrested? Because then his personal property is entirely out of the legal protection for the cop in the realm of search and seizure.

So, tell me, was the school informed before this MAN wrestled this KID to the ground over a dress code violation?

Was he placed under arrest at ANY TIME?

Were his rights read to him? what was the charge for the arrest? He cant resist what is not a legal arrest.

EDIT TO ADD:
Besides.

"In the Amarillo ISD dress and grooming guidelines, there is not a specific rule on whether students can wear rosaries."

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

The school asked the police officer to remove the suspect.
The police officer decided that it was warranted and arrested him.

I'm not really understanding your misunderstanding.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Here is this.

I dont get why people dont see the retardation in this whole repeating issue.

Take a stand for logic or defend retarded people doing retarded things.

You decide if your communities are retarded or not..../country

and this

www.journaldemocrat.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

Your post is so bang on the money wish I could give more than the one star acclaim for out right speaking the truth about the 350+ million spineless people who have let a police state take grip. And have them in certain situations worse than previous tyrannical dictators had created

Thank goodness for Democrates and Republicans and the 350+ million or so un-useful idiots who continue to vote for them

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I fail to see what one has to do with the other.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Nashville, Tenn.
When Jake Balthazor was sent to the office by his teacher last week, imagine his surprise.

After all, Jake hadn’t disrupted class, failed to do his homework or committed any other offense that might lead to disciplinary action at Coon Rapids High School near Minneapolis.

The problem, it turned out, wasn’t with what the 15-year-old was doing, but with the black-and-silver rosary beads he was wearing. (Rosary beads are used by many Roman Catholics to offer prayers to the Virgin Mary.)

What Jake sees as a religious symbol worn to honor his sick grandmother, the school district views as a possible gang symbol that could threaten school safety.

Rosaries were added to the list of prohibited symbols in Coon Rapids after the school district reportedly received a memo from the local police department in May saying some gangs in the area used rosary beads as a symbol of affiliation. Although no rosary-bead gang was disrupting the school, administrators decided to make a preemptive strike.

Coon Rapids school officials aren’t alone in their determination to censor rosaries and other symbols to counter gangs. Many school districts now have broad bans on head coverings, clothing, jewelry and other objects that might in some way be connected to gang membership. Rosary beads are often on the list.

Much to the dismay of school administrators, religious students are pushing back. Last year, 14-year-old Jonae Devlin sought legal help after she was suspended by her Houston school district for wearing a rosary in memory of her grandmother. Two years ago in Schenectady, N.Y., 13-year-old Raymond Hosier’s family filed suit after being told Raymond couldn’t wear rosary beads to honor his older brother, who had died in an accident.

The Catholic rosary isn’t the only religious symbol caught in the wide safety net cast by public school anti-gang efforts. In 1999, for example, a Mississippi school district barred Ryan Green, a Jewish 11th-grader, from wearing the Star of David. In 2003, an Oklahoma school district suspended 6th grader Nashala Hern for wearing her hijab, a head scarf she wore to observe her faith.

After calling in lawyers, all of these students eventually won the right to wear symbols of their religion to school. It’s likely that Jake also will prevail should his family challenge the rosary ban in Coon Rapids.

Students win these cases because the U.S. Supreme Court famously recognized in 1969 that students “do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate” (Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District).
www.journaldemocrat.com...

here let me repeat that

Students win these cases because the U.S. Supreme Court famously recognized in 1969 that students “do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate” (Tinker v. Des Moines Independent School District).

I hope he sues the crap out of everyone and puts a society of litigation to use and chews these medieval idiots in court all the way to the poor house.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
He should be able to wear whatever the hell he wants. Why should he have to hide it under his shirt? Any Muslim can wear a burqa any day of the week no one says fuc*kall. This is ludicrous. a reply to: codythatkid

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

This was not a student in a school setting.

This was a ticket holder at a sporting event.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Its illegal. How about that?

This is an officer of the law right? He cant arrest him for trespassing on the grounds of wearing a religous symbol.

The police of any dinky city or township cant make a religious symbol into a gang symbol. The school cant make a religious symbol into a prohibited symbol for students to wear if they dont specify it clearly upon enrollment. This school has NO POLICY on Rosaries. What if "they" (school administrators or cops) hate Jews? These are the reasons we love our country. Its Freaking constitution protects people like this kid from idiots stuck in an archaic level of evolution.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

He didn't arrest him for wearing a rosary. He arrested him because the owner of the property said that he was not welcome.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

AND the owner has no rules against rosaries. It cant be argued to be a gang symbol by the legal precedent I just mentioned established by the freaking supreme court so the entire argument against him is null and void.

He did the correct thing in refusing an illegal and unconstitutional limit on his right to religious expression.

I hope he gets to go to Harvard and live in a private dorm over this. I hope he sues so bad that the city declares bankruptcy and the cops dont get a bonus or overtime for a decade.

If common sense wont deter stupidity. If being legally obliged to know the law isnt enough to deter stupidity, I hope having less money does.

If not I just hope it hurts like the people behind these agendas tried to hurt others over who or what they are or believe in.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

The owner of the property informed the police that the suspect was not welcome on the property.

It is the duty of the officer to protect the rights of the property owner and remove the trespasser.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

AND they have no rules against rosaries and its unconstitutional and hence ILLEGAL according to literally the highest court of law in the country to do what they did.

He could wear them by law. The school cant limit that since they have no rules against them to begin with and the cop was not in his right to arrest this person or detain him, what ever, since he was not in violation of a legally protected right of the property owner to enforce.

I cant say "no Jews" and start to kick Jews off my property which is open to the public can I? No, and for the same reason they cant either.

If that common sense or even moral decency escapes anyone, then they deserve to suffer until its clear. The same way they made this KID and everyone like him suffer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join