It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NanoWeapons?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
Nox

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I completely agree with that.

US corporations almost seem hostile to new technologies.

I wouldn't say the US is lagging behind in technology, but it can certainly do MUCH better.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Nox, I wasn't speaking of technology in general(of which the US is the undisputed leader) I'm talking more in line with Nanotech(and to a lesser degree Stem Cells) These will be the two technologies that will annoint the future superpower for the next hundred years IMHO.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
my thinking is, after a while conventional ballistic weapons will be made obsolete, and they'll have to turn to energy/chemical weapons to bypass the armor...

Nox

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Stem cell research is just one of the many reasons I voted against Bush.

I still think America is not lagging for nanotechnology. We are at the forefront of quantum computing, that much I know.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nox
Stem cell research is just one of the many reasons I voted against Bush.

I still think America is not lagging for nanotechnology. We are at the forefront of quantum computing, that much I know.

Oh yeah Quantum Computing is somthing I am looking foward to *drool*. Still too early to tell though who leading who in that area though.

Well I still do believe the US is starting to lag behind, but I just finished reading some articles that seem pretty optimistic that there is a change in the air. The Nanobisiness alliance has had a change in leadership. Hopefully the new leadership will be more receptive to the "Nanofactory" aspect of this technology. However the Blacklisting issue still is in the forefront in the USAs nanotech funding policy.

here is a couple of links that are pertinent to the discussion
nanobot.blogspot.com...
www.nanodot.org...

Nox

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Oh yeah Quantum Computing is somthing I am looking foward to *drool*. Still too early to tell though who leading who in that area though.

What do you mean it's still too early to tell?

American Universities are at the forefront of quantum computing. Oxford contributed a bit too, but believe me, it was mostly accomplished by us.

I am actually a grad student at one of these universities and work under a professor who is currently working on these fields. Trust me on this.

If you want online evidence, here is just one.
squint.stanford.edu...

We've already made a quantum computer. This is SEVERAL years ago! We are just making designs for processors. I believe I already mentioned this, but the current one we have only computes simple arithmetic.

We're trying to make it better.

EDIT: but yes, I agree that we COULD do with a little more funding. Big corporations in America should be forced to care. I don't think Intel and AMD have much interest in us right now (since they've already got silicon chip designs prepared for several years into the future. It would be a waste investment for them to spend it on us).

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Nox]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hmm Nox, interesting. I was not aware that they have made a simple QC yet.(either that or Ive got nano on the brain, so I mightve overlooked it). What is this Isreali dna computer then? Is that anything like a QC? Because from what I read the one Isreal built, a spoonfull of the stuff could outcalculate all the comps on earth combined. Man it must be interesting stuff learning at a place like that I kinda envy you.

Nox

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I don't know enough about Israel's dna computer sorry.

What I know mostly consists of QC and CNT processors.

Oddly enough, I think processors made from carbon nanotubes might even be more difficult than QC.

The current goal of Californian universities is that if we can perfect the doping process of CNT, we could essentially just toss pieces of polarized CNT into a non-polar fluid, and have processors construct themselves. (the way polar molecules configure themselves in a fluid).

I dream of the day where Quantum processors and CNT are used in conjunction... but yeah that's still far off.

Do you have anything to add on DNA computers? Because I honestly haven't looked into them (been busy until recently).

EDIT: Haha, A spoonful is quite a lot though. A harddrive the size of half a sugar cube (or less) made using CNT is speculated to be able to able to fit the library of congress. Nanotechnology is just that great.

[edit on 9-12-2004 by Nox]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
No not really but here are a couple of links that you can look over at your leisure.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.sciencenews.org...
www.expresshealthcaremgmt.com...
www.zurichmednet.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well, it looks like there is yet another breakthrough. Check this out.

nanodot.org.../12/09/2258233

"South Korean scientists found a simple way to produce high-purity single-walled carbon nanotubes en masse, the vital materials for nanotechnology, under ambient conditions.

Until now, scientists created the substances at high temperatures ranging from 700 to 2,000 degrees Celsius. But the yield rate was still below 70 percent and purity was between 70 to 95 percent, even after multi-step purification processes.

By contrast, Park's team used the chemical effects of ultrasound and a liquid solution to make nanotubes at atmospheric pressure and room temperature.

The newfound method worked handsomely as it enabled volume production of high-purity nanotubes without a purification process and its yield rate also improved to more than 90 percent. Mass Production of Carbon Nanotube Becomes Possible"

times.hankooki.com...=blank

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
nano technology kind of bons with robotics which can bound with biological studies am i right?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
www.dcr.net...

good read really

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The U.S. Department of Defense has been researching and developing nanotechnologies since the early 70's. They have been and will continue to be at the forefront of this technology for the foreseeable future. DARPA has been running concurrent projects for decades.

There was a bit of a quiet period in the late 80's as alumina research was combined into nanotech. Alumina is several times stronger than steel, can be fabricated in a transparent state, as well as having particular properties at the molecular level that no other material has.

Nobody is even close to what the US has in its laboratories, and about to emerge into the marketplace.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
toolmaker, got any links to back up your statements? Is Alumina somhow better then CNTs which is theoretically 100 times stronger then steel at 1/6th the weight?(and in certain configurations it can: conduct/insulate heat & electricity, act as a superconductor, has potential to make artificial muscles etc etc) Has DARPA somehow managed to figure out to mass produce CNT armor plating? From everything I have read about recently no one has complete hegomony in this area and while a good argument can be made that the USA is in the lead, breakthrough wise, the MAJORITY of the papers about this subject have not originated in the US(at least not the ones I have read over 2004). I keep seeing Japan pop up on the radar, as well as Isreal. USA will always be strong in this area but they ARE lagging behind in quite a few aspects. Another new player in the field that I'm going to be watch is South Korea. They could be a powerhouse in this business. Don't really see China or Russia making alot of progress in this area so the US doesn't have much to worry about yet because all the countries that are in the top 5 are strong US allies and I'm sure the US will get full access to the technology as it becomes available either through Sci Journels or through joint research. This is a billion dollar industry, and its expected that by the middle of next decade it will be a trillion dollar industry. How do you expect the Black world to keep up with that growth rate? Somthing has to give, and as much as I want to believe that the USA has complete hegemony in this area my research tells me otherwise. One significant contribution the Russians made was the Artificial Diamonds that can be grown for as little as 100 a stone.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This site is not too bad either. www.nano.org.uk...
Under the reports, there is an article introduction that mentions alot of countries that are in the running for top dog of the nanoworld... I would never have expected Taiwan or Vietnam to be players in the nanogame.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Vietnam?!?
I didn't even know they had a high tech industry. Taiwan isn't as surprising to me though. I read a report a while back in the Globe and Mail talking about how the EU is really starting to fall behind in Nanotechnology, but they seem to be ahead in some areas of Stem Cell research allthough.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What happens if F-22 Raptor, RAH-66 Comanche, F-35 Lightning II, Stryker, M1A2 Abrams, RQ-4 Global Hawk, V-22 Osprey, Foster-Miller TALON SWORDS, SR-X Aurora, RQ-1 Predator, B-2 Spirit gets Nanotech Addons and Repairs?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IronDogg
This site is not too bad either. www.nano.org.uk...
Under the reports, there is an article introduction that mentions alot of countries that are in the running for top dog of the nanoworld... I would never have expected Taiwan or Vietnam to be players in the nanogame.

Did all the Asia Pacific Nation become players in Nanogame?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

This thread is over 4 years old. There have been many advancements in Nanotech in that short amount of time. Most if not all is DOD related. Do a fresh google search there is plenty available now on the subject.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD

Exploding shells are illegal for your info,they were banned under the geneva convention because they were designed to cause hurt. A normal shell can take a person out just as well without causing half as much hurt.

50. Cal's shot at people, "traps" set up for snipers, IED's, torture of POWs, Running of people with tanks and Armored vehicles, And A List that goes on as long as wars them selves are All Against Gen, NATO, and Human Warfare ethics but, my friend, We and They will do Anything to get beyond a Kill, That is, Pain, Fear, and Revenge.

In Kuwait, back in the 90's, a Village Loaded to the teeth with "insurgents" sent a group of 10, or so, to Shoot up a Convoy of Marines. 6 Marines die.
3 Insurgents are Captured. Throwing All Rules of engagement out the window, The CO's 1SGT Sends a Platoon of his Finest to Seize the Village,
in minutes They Are victorious. One wounded insurgent crawls to the 1SGT and Says "You Fool, You have not won, you Loose either way".
He Lines up with the 3 captured insurgents.
In front of The Village people who Surrendered and the wounded man, a Marine Guts up a Pig, and 3 Marines soak 2 of their bullets in The blood.

The prayer of the captured is Cut Silent with the Echo of 6 shots to The Enemies Heart and Face.
The Marines go back to Base Quiet and not knowing if what they did was right, Though The 1SGT Knew his Punishment would be Severe.
3 Days Pass, and The 1SGT is put for trial for his War Crimes and is Facing Life in Prison. Though What They did for what they thought was revenge, The Troops where Surprised that Word got in from Intel That 50+ Insurgents had walked to the Base and Would only Surrender to The 1SGT.

They Did not Turn in for His Respect, They did not turn in for Fear of death, They Gave up from Their Fear of The Enemy Fighting Back with out Rules.

Our United States Military Is Beyond Anything Else.
We Have its Leash on too Tight some times.
The Day Will Come when it can not be held on, and The Enemy Will know We Come from Hell to Return in uncountable Numbers .

LKG

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join