It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for online movie buffs...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
When you want to watch a film online for free, most sites require you to set up a free account (ie provide your name and email address).

Is this kosher, or do I run?

I mean, you can watch the movies on youtube with no hassle, so why do these other sites ask for my email address?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

OK yes it's true.. YT now provides a fee and watch service.. YT. Also is not illegal and not baited with explicit child stuff like set up by the FBI...
So you are safe there.
If you go that route.. I suggest not giving your actual bank card... buy a visa gift card..
I do this..
So if it is hacked.. your safe... you lose 25-50 dollars...

Still like my Netflix... non filtered.. and tons to watch... and its getting better...

Watch safe!

If you watch off a gaming system or mobile device..
If you don't want to give out your email which is required..
AGAIN..
create another email acct... and still use the rechargeable/new visa gift card..

edit on 23-10-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I would definitely stay clear from sites that require you to sign up for movies, unless they are well known like netflix, or hulu, or amazon. The sites that have movies illegally usually have mal-ware attached to their sites that will attempt to infect your computer.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
icefilms doesn't require registration! New movies and TV shows updated the day or next day the episode airs.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Voyaging
I would definitely stay clear from sites that require you to sign up for movies, unless they are well known like netflix, or hulu, or amazon. The sites that have movies illegally usually have mal-ware attached to their sites that will attempt to infect your computer.

Like Voyaging said.. stay with a reputable site..
Never go off to the undergrounds...
It's always baited..

Just give YT or Netflix... better yet. Amazon also shows the new newest releases..
Just set up a different email.. and charge it to a gift card...
So if its hacked.. like Sony did for me... your out very small in comparison..

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Google Kodi (in my opinion is the best media player) download it for your system, then Google videos for installing Mashup, 1channel, and or ice films repositories onto Kodi.

Enjoy!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
Google Kodi (in my opinion is the best media player) download it for your system, then Google videos for installing Mashup, 1channel, and or ice films repositories onto Kodi.

Enjoy!

You know I trust you..
Have you ever had problems? No malware?

ETA: also... make friends with a law enforcement officer... I saw star wars episode 3 before it hit theaters... yes the officer obtained it in a raid.. yes it had a time counter in the corner....yes it was evidence....
But hey!
Got to watch the movie before most of the world... down time in EMS.... very popular!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Also!
I have have a hard time not reading in the voice of John Malcovich... and having Freeman's voice follow up with... "he's right you know"
Every time!
Thanks.. when you show up... it counts!

That's for theliewelive...
Never failed me!

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I use solarmovie. Doesn't require any sign up or payment at all.

I never use a movie site that wants my cc info. Well, that's not actually true, I do use Netflix and occasionally Amazon. But as far as free movies go, I don't like the whole sign up business. Just skip and details the entertain me already

edit on 24-10-2014 by U4ea82 because: Just cause I wanted to, you got a problem with that?! Just kidding

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

If you use torrents you don't have to pay. Not sure if it will violate T&C but check out 'Piratebay' and 'Kickass torrents'.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

IIRC that does violate T&C, but you're right.

Regardless of whether you choose a legal means of streaming, or an illegal means of torrenting, I suggest you stay far away from those "free movie" websites. Aside from the stream video and audio quality being akin to a potato, you are likely to get some kind of malware on your system if you click on any kind of download link. Also, if your plugins aren't up to date they could infect your computer via a Java exploit. You're going to wish you spent $3 on the damn movie instead of $300 getting your computer fixed.

As another poster mentioned, Netflix provides a cheap solution to your problem, and you can stream on a multitude of media platforms. It also has some really great films if you know what to look for. If you're looking for recent, shallow Hollywood blockbusters then you're probably better off seeking illegal means of obtaining said garbage films.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Free movie websites are always a scam. Avoid.

There's ways to get free movies that are much much safer than giving out your details.

But try Netflix, they're brilliant.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Nope no malware or any problems. Kodi is just free media player software (formally known as XBMC).
When you install the repositories like Mashup or 1channel aka Primewire, is when the fun starts. It's just a portal to their websites through the Kodi software. It allows you to stream movies, not download. It's illegal to possess the movies and this way you don't possess anything.

When using Kodi make sure you at least get Mashup. It's the best one in my opinion. They all basically do the same thing, Mashup is just the better looking GUI.
edit on 24-10-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Voyaging

WARNING: LONG POST but worth it I hope
mostly warning about free sites and then giving my opinions on the pay sites.

Something to consider though... whether you sign up or not, your IP address is still contained in access logs on the hosting server ( unless they kindly disable logs... I doubt it ).... so all it would take is for the feds to raid the place hosting the server, view the logs and then go back to your ISP to find out which customer had that IP address during that time..

If you're wanting to watch movies online for free then either way you're taking a big risk unless you use some of anonymous proxy or VPN service... and even then you have to read the fine print.. there are some VPN services out there that do not maintain logs and do not associate IP addresses to customer's in any way.. which means unlike your ISP, they have no clue who had an IP at a given time.

This is why I make use of legitimate services
I'm a huge movie buff ... I use Amazon Prime/Instant .. Netflix and Hulu ... Amazon Prime is great because I pay a yearly fee for it and I not only get a huge catalog of movies for "free" included with that subscription, they also often have movies that are still in theaters.. or sometimes BEFORE they hit theaters.. that and with prime you also get free shipping on a lot of products.. oh, and they have prime music now too so you can listen to a lot of "free" music as well .. no I'm not affiliated with Amazon

Just to go the extra mile.. I'll give my own pros / cons on movie/tv streaming services.

Amazon:

Pro: Pretty large catalog of films and tv shows, alot of them are free with your prime subscription.. that and you get the bonus of free shipping and prime music.. They also have a lot of premium content and if you don't want to buy a movie because you're iffy on whether or not it's good.. you can opt for a pretty cheap 24/48 hour rental.

Con: You can't pay monthly for it.. you pay annually, but that's not too awful.. last I checked I think it was $79.00/yr but they are raising it to $99 soon which would put it at $8.25

Netflix:

Pro: Massive catalog of films and tv shows.. they also have some excellent netflix exclusive/original content like House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.. They also resurrected the awesome show Arrested Development which gets a new season soon .. ONLY available to netflix... You can also pay monthly instead of annually ( $8.99/mo )

Con: While they have a massive catalog and some great original content.. the massive catalog has quite a bit of junk in there.. Movies you've never heard of, or could never care about.. but unlike Amazon, ALL of that content is included with the subscription.

Hulu:

Pro: Excellent source for TV shows and you get more up to date content.. a show will often appear on Hulu within hours of airing, but most usually a day after.. It's also FREE so you can't really go wrong.. and you don't need an account to watch either, though I think for some shows/movies you do..

Con: Yes it's free, but unless you upgrade to Hulu Plus you will have some limits.. for example not every show/movie in their catalog is included in the free service.. and unless you have Plus you won't get entire seasons.. you will get the last couple of episodes in most cases. Another HUGE con for me is the commercials.. I understand them for the free accounts .. but even if you upgrade to Plus you STILL get commercials.. only they are shorter and less frequent.. it's $7.99/mo

Youtube:

Pros: There are movies to be found that people have uploaded.. though once reported they don't last long, still.. there's quite a few if you know what to look for.. same for tv shows
.. It's obviously entirely free which is a bonus.. You're also far less likely to get in trouble viewing stuff there since basically all youtube does is respond to take down requests by removing the offending video.

Con: There's no catalog really so it's pretty much just search and hope for the best... Often in the case of movies or hour long tv shows you will find that they are in parts .. you might find a movie that is split into 15 parts and part 14 is missing

I personally use Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu Plus ( despite the annoying commercials ) ... so I'm paying about $25-$26/mo for content if you add it all up and break it down by month.. not including rentals and purchases that aren't included with Amazon Prime.

By using all of those services together it's guaranteed that I'll have something to watch.. and what's even better is that ALL of those services work with my Roku set top box and my smartphone .. so I can watch on my TV or anywhere I go

Hope that helps! I would stay away from the free sites ( aside from Hulu ) ...
edit on 10/24/2014 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: miniatus

Just to add a little more information .. My ranking of the sites I described, and why..

1. Amazon - Why? they have less of a catalog than Netflix, but have way better quality content than any of the rest.. I also buy a lot of products from amazon so it's more than paid for itself with free shipping

2. Hulu - Less content than netflix or Amazon, but you get more current stuff and there's lots of current tv shows

3. Netflix - It's great for if I'm looking for an old cheesy horror flick or for their original content, they also have a very nice selection of documentaries. But it as far as quality of content.. Amazon wins hands down.. You will almost always find what you're looking for on Amazon.. On Netflix you may get lucky or you may not.. and most of their content is older stuff..

4. Youtube - It's good if you're looking for random cat videos or whatever, but not ideal for movies or tv unless you pay.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Cheers everyone.

You've been a big help.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I like amazon, it costs a few dollars for a rental but they are reliable and have a nice selection.

I don't trust anything that is "free".

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DestroyDestroyDestroy

Netflix is only good if you are in the U.S. If you are in Canada it sucks and you have to hack into the U.S system to have anything good on Netflix

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
youtube is awesome for older b movies. they have loads and there are free.

several times i have not been able to find a torrent of a flick and netflix does not have hit but youtube has the full movie for free.

they are especially awesome with the troma movies. they have just about the entire catalogue of troma films and thats enough for me.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I use thepiratebay.org and a program called utorrent. You can illegally download just about any movie including most recent ones.

However, it's important to use a thing called peerblock at the same time. Basically acts as a shield against trackers which can get you hassled by your ISP for copyright infringement.

Happy viewing !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join