It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the Oldest Wooden Statue in the World — What's carved on it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

OK that's three for totem pole, it's a sign
lol

Seriously though if people have been following ancient cultures artifacts and styles, there is so many similarities,

we have been far more connected throughout history then people can imagine

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Cheers buddy, just had a quick look at the page.

To me then its obvious whoever was building them in the far east took this building trait with them when they colonized the americas.

Do native americas know why they started building them in the first place? or is that just lost to antiquity?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Somehow expected to see "Kilroy was here" carved on the side.

Great Post.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would guess it is more of a tribal Totem to which many of the far-flung tribal groups made 'pilgrimage' to...a very early kind of Haj to the Kabbah in modern Arabia

perhaps the etch markings were a form of proverb left by each newly acknowledged Leader Shaman for the people to heed

I propose that the remarkable 19+ foot height of the human form Totem (with a relative small head)... was not to reflect anything like of giantism....

but was a way to pass on the knowledge that the Totem represented that the imaged man went up and disappeared in the sky
edit on nd31141400623022302014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Your research here is fascinating. Thanks for the posting, OP.
It seems to me, as others have said, this is a very early totem. I think the lines on it denote division, and the line continues down through the body of the totem. A division, perhaps, in belief, which the totem, after all, represents.
tetra

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
two dimensional comic strip or visa-pass ?
maybe they are describing their homeland

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Thanks for posting, this is interesting. Ok, it's a stretch but it's vaguely similar to the 'phallic' structures found at the graveyard of the Tarim mummies, if you remember them?

NY Times

Your find is in a geographically similar location, albeit 5000 years earlier.

But still, worth considering. Very cool find, either way.

B x

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Looks like a carving of the "Green Man"

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have two theories. The first is that it is a totem pole, with each design being a fabric pattern used by different families.

The second is that it is a wind gauge, and that there would be a rope with a block of wood attacked to the mouth of the head. When the wind blew at a particular speed it would line up with one of the figures.

The double bump would be the optimum wind speed speed.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have never heard of this before so thanks for the new information. As something this old the statue still looks quite intriguing.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hey yall, I was just feeling pretty groovy so I posted that this is interesting, I'm not sure why I'm posting and it may get deleted, but It might be the same reason everyone else posts. hhahaah great thread these look interesting. Have a great night everyone.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: intrptr

Maybe it was a sex doll, a sentry like the Terra cotta warriors from China? Maybe it was a statue of somebodies loved one that passed, a grave marker.

Maybe it was a God…nah, scratch that one.

Toothpick?

Haha yeah, why not bring giants into the mix as well eh? We got plenty room here so why not, right?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: intrptr

Maybe it was a sex doll, a sentry like the Terra cotta warriors from China? Maybe it was a statue of somebodies loved one that passed, a grave marker.

Maybe it was a God…nah, scratch that one.

Toothpick?

Haha yeah, why not bring giants into the mix as well eh? We got plenty room here so why not, right?

Nothing better to wedge out that piece of mammoth thigh stuck between your double row of molars!

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Hanslune,

I find your term wedge interesting. Everyone focuses on the penis/faces or geometric designs carved into the plank(for lack of better term) without noting the techniques the larger would have used to get a large log into the basic totem plank eemployed. A lot more material has been removed from the ooriginal log than what in my limited experience have seen in other totems. Most people do not consider or ponder the intricacies of woodworking the same way they do stoneworks but the skillset may have been even more complex with wood. Knowing how that wood I'd going to want to crack as it dries or knowing that cutting down that tree which is still standing but has been dead for a couple years makes a huge difference in something which obviously took time to make.

Did they use saws? Careful burning and scraping away the char? Or axe away materials at certain intervals then wedge (froe) the spots between? All those technologies would have been available at the time but would still have represented a devotion of resources.
edit on 26-10-2014 by Jarocal because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join