It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants Can Tell When They’re Being Eaten

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'll have to talk to my trees and ask them if this is true. I suppose this subject will open the floodgates and they won't shut up.

I had one tomato plant on the porch start shaking when I gave it some old coffee. The rest of them didn't do that. I guess if you want the plants to respond more, have a cup of coffee with them in the morning..

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Plants can tell when they've been eaten because they feel like sh_t. HEYOO. Fine, delete it, I had to get it out LOL

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp

Good find and I personally think this is just more evidence of a Quantum Mind. Plants have microtubules in plant cells and the subunits in microtubules act like quantum computers. These same microtubules are found in human brains.

Nature would have selected this trait for our species to give us a huge advantage.

So plants have a Quantum Mind without the complex structures of the material brain. This is why plants exhibit traits we usually associate with intelligence and consciousness. Here's more research.

edit on 21-10-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

This is why plants exhibit traits we usually associate with intelligence and consciousness. Here's more research.

i dont generally associate reflexes with intelligence. and what you posted doesnt prove that plants are making a conscious decision to interact with their environment in those ways. anymore than you choose to kick when the nurse taps your knee. or blink when a gust of wind hits your eye. or cough when something gets lodged in your throat.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Yeah see I get your point how it is mostly reactions to stimuli, but I do think there's some form of intelligence we're either missing or overlooking.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: tgidkp
I say to vegetarians, "Just because you cannot hear the Kale scream, doesn't mean it isn't!"

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Haha I'm a vegetarian and I'm sure tomatoes would be kicking their way off my plate if they could (I don't like kale).

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

here is some tree music to go with your vegetarian feast....oh and sauteed kale...yummy

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Thankyou I was getting tired of playing the sounds of an abattoir everytime I wanted a burger

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I never said plants are making consciousness decisions. I pointed out the plants lack a complex material brain and these things could point to a Quantum Mind because plants to display things people usually associate with intelligence and consciousness with plants.

This isn't just a pie in the sky observation, there are many smart people doing research into these areas. This herein lies the problems with pseudoskeptics.

Yes, those are reflexes, but what about when there directed?

For instance, a person comes into a room that I don't want to talk to and I cough and say excuse me I need to leave the room.

This is what they're seeing in some plants. The plants seem to be directing and turning these things on and off. This doesn't mean the plants are making a conscious decision, these could be a Quantum Mind without a classical, complex brain and it is a better explanation for consciousness than any convoluted non answer from blind materialist.

Here's more research.

New research on plant intelligence may forever change how you think about plants

The Intelligent Plant. That is the title of a recent article in The New Yorker — and new research is showing that plants have astounding abilities to sense and react to the world.

But can a plant be intelligent? Some plant scientists insist they are — since they can sense, learn, remember and even react in ways that would be familiar to humans.

www.pri.org...

So yes, Scientist are debating these things and doing research in these areas.

The problem I have with pseudoskeptics on this board, is they act like every question is settled and any discussions in these areas shouldn't be had.

Yes, despite your blind protest, they're actually Scientist and very smart people doing research in these areas and asking questions whether you like it or not.
edit on 21-10-2014 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There is intelligence and sentience in ALL living things.
That's the nature of Organic Life.
Each form of life vibrates and interacts at its own unique harmonic resonance.
That's what intelligence really means....the interplay between itself, its environment and all other living thingss.
All Life has consciousness.

I believe that all inorganic life has 'counsciousness' too, at the atomic level, but I'll get into that later...

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
thanks for that great post.

if humanity were ever to be capable of utopia, I think what you have described concerning the community of trees would be a very good model to follow.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
New finding of plants and the recent of animals are very fascinating. I think most underestimate us Vegetarians and Vegans, we're very aware of plants as more than just what they seem or as science has alluded to. As we harvest the fruit of the tomato plant, already disconnecting it from the plant's active system.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
*sniffles and wipes tears.

I want to tell you a story about my friend "snow-pea" and this mean farmer.

Well, (wipes more tears) I ate snow-pea and her friend betty the bunny. Their screams were horrid but now I'm full.

The end!

awwww you weren't Beatrix Potter in a past life were you?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Had to hit the google to learn who ole Beatrix was.

I seriously laughed out loud when I read the bio!

I would have kids scarred for life with my writing!

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
to the meat eaters that now scorn the vegans: God had specifically stated "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat"

Nowhere does it state that the living animals are to be used as meat!

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I was watching this program the other day about trees and they had a pretty good theory which I'd never really thought about before... They were saying that a tree is like us but upside down. The roots being like the brain and their sex organs at the top... And when you think about that... wow?

They were saying there is normally a mother tree and if one tree is lacking nutrients it can dish out some to it via the root system...

Anyway yeah life is pretty incredible...

Oh another thing, plants have more dna than us! Meaning they're more evolved than we are! Well hey they have been here a lot longer.

edit on 23-10-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
now I know why my cumqauts taste so bad

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Kind of leaves vegetarians in a dilemma doesn't it? I'm not a vegetarian but am thankful for the lives of animals and plants that sustain and nourish me.

No, because plants don't feel pain. These are extremely advanced chemically-induced response mechanisms. They don't require either consciousness or the ability to feel pain to function. Vegans (and to an extent vegetarians) are concerned with minimizing the suffering of others, and this doesn't enter into the category of suffering. It's just (very) smart evolution.

ETA - I say plants don't feel pain because it's something we humans have defined as suffering. Suffering requires awareness. Awareness requires at the very least a nervous system, and a brain to process signals received from that system. There's no scientific or logical foundation to the "plants feel pain" theories.

Although, consciousness is a different matter entirely. I'd personally say the entire universe around us is a sort of secondary construct from a primordial form of consciousness, with our brains being the most advanced tools at generating awareness.
edit on 10 23 2014 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 23 2014 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Kind of leaves vegetarians in a dilemma doesn't it? I'm not a vegetarian but am thankful for the lives of animals and plants that sustain and nourish me.

come back when carrots go baah and have big soppy eyes and you may have something....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join