It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks Obamacare for my 68% premium increase!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

I'm not skeptical at all. That thread was about a well known democrat claiming that all of the obamacare horror stories were lies. You may have taken the way I phrased it wrong. My apologies. You don't have to convince me, I've seen enough real evidence out there, and it is only beginning.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It always seemed like simple economics to me

If an insurance company needs to provide coverage for people who otherwise couldn't afford it, then someone will have to pay. Sorry that it has to be you.

The people elected a leftist leader who campaigned on health care reform ( although he promised it would save the average family $2500 per year) and they got what they voted for.

In my opinion, I don't want the government involved in my health insurance.

I think that it's time for some people to run for office that will try to get the government out of the health insurance business

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

I'm not skeptical at all. That thread was about a well known democrat claiming that all of the obamacare horror stories were lies. You may have taken the way I phrased it wrong. My apologies. You don't have to convince me, I've seen enough real evidence out there, and it is only beginning.

Thank you for the clarification. I did interpret it wrong. I am pissed about the whole thing. Once I show my full blooded Italian wife the letter, my anger will be very minor compared to hers!

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Uh oh, break it to her gently.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
One has to wonder at what point the insurance companies will begin losing money, lots of money. As employers drop insurance for employees and people drop their personal health insurance, it is bound to have an affect on the health insurance companies (not that I feel for them). But at what point financially will they raise their greedy, bloody teeth up crying foul? And what will the government do about it?

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tatanka
Ours went from $448.00 to $928.00 a month. We received a letter stating that it will go up again to $1,014.00 a month. We will be going without insurance, because at this point, my husband is already working two jobs, and I'm working part time and taking care of our baby and I cannot go to full time right now due to her needs. So my husband and I will have to go without. There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many jobs a person can work at once.

I feel so bad for you. I knew this was going to happen so I elected not to get insurance. The fine is much cheaper. But I'm lucky that I am healthy and don't need it for the moment. (fingers crossed!)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Overall the insurance companies (the large ones) are going to do very well under obamacare. People are required by law to purchase coverage, employers required to provide coverage plans.. If they can get enough younger healthy people covered, along with the higher premiums and deductibles many people are going to be paying for coverage they rarely, if ever use. If you are thinking about going in for care, and are faced with a $5,000 or $6,000 deductible that you must pay before the insurance kicks in, you may reconsider, like most, decide not to go.

It's simple math from there.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

Which includes the government foray into managed care.

Remember that Medicaid and Medicare, the managed care system created by the government, has long since been creating major inflation in the healthcare and health insurance industries for decades.

Obamacare was sold as the cure for that crap. Instead it was a huge dose of steroids to the old system and now everyone is on the hook for it, and must pay a fine to pay for those that were forced into the system.

Everyone certainly does have skin in the game...And the government is going to peel it off our collective asses one layer at a time.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Mine went up, as did most, and I was pissed, so I cancelled it and bought on the marketplace.

With the credit/subsidy, I now have better coverage at a lower price than I had before it increased.

Just saying.

ETA: For the record, I don't agree with mandated coverage.
edit on 19-10-2014 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
When my premiums increased to $700/month for a single, high-deductible policy, and the provision of O-care kicked in that says I can't be refused insurance, I canceled the policy. Now, just days ago, I got a premium notice from Anthem saying that my premium has gone up from the $897 of last year to $1106/month this year! What?!!! Apparently they still think I'm a client or are simply trying to trick me into becoming one? It was 2000 the last time I had a claim on my insurance because once high-deducible, health savings accounts became available I got one. I used the health-savings account for my "alternative medicine" costs since I haven't seen an MD in many years. I liked the way that worked but not enough to pay $700/month for a policy I would never use. That $700/month figure had climbed from $283/month when I got the policy initially even though I'd never had a claim. Their excuse for that was that I was getting older...duh! Imagine that---getting older without the help of Industrial Health Care Cabal!!

I'm told I'll be fined a percentage of my income next year for not abiding by the law. Now I'm a criminal because I did nothing except refuse to contribute to a corporate interest for which I feel no need.
The health care professionals I deal with are perfectly happy for me to pay them cash for their services at the time of delivery and not have to file endless paperwork and wait a month or two to get their money. I'm happy to handle things that way as well. So, why should any government agency stick its nose into my business and fine me because I'm not paying an insurance company? It is beyond my ability to comprehend.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

yea, that little sh@@ ried just bumps his gums to hear himself talk.
he couldn't tell you the truth, if it was sitting right in front of him.

but he sure can, toe the party line.

edit on 19-10-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

How far, do you suppose, credits and subsidies will get you?

The problem with subsidies is that they create inflation where previously there was none.

Good example of this is student loans and higher tuition rates as a result.

If the corporation knows that their losses will be covered by taxpayer money they aren't going to be reluctant to dump debts on people.

Right now insurance corporations are doing VERY WELL because they are raking in truckloads of cash from subsidized mandated insurance and inflated premiums.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: jude11

He really didn't lie. The OP is proof that if you like your plan you can keep your plan.

If you can afford it.

Wrong. Millions of plans did not meet Obamacare guidelines and were dropped, replaced by higher priced premiums, higher deductibles, and lower levels of coverage. It is the replacement plans that are now skyrocketing.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

I hope those mother f'rs from Humana all get fired and that lying piece of trash Obama and anyone who supported his ACA are all voted out on their asses. .

You had me until this part. Your premium is all numbers and is based on actuarial / historical claims and plan utilization data: how much money they've spent paying health claims for people of a certain age/gender/risk in the past (e.g., what are the odds a 25 year old male will get prostate cancer in the next year, multiplied by the cost of treating prostate cancer), factored in with age/gender of current plan-year participants, predicted out over the next year, plus overhead/administration, plus profit. Now factor in that certain coverages are mandatory when before they were optional (these are what kept premiums lower on some plans than others, e.g. I, a man, was able to opt out of annual breast exams) and there's more than one insurance company competing for your dollar, thus keeping premiums as low as they can. In other words, you can't really blame the insurers. They're playing by the rules they were mandated to follow.

Historically, insurance developed as risk sharing and allocation: who was willing to take the risk that a certain event would or would not happen. For example, a ship sailing the ocean in the 1700's may have had a 1 in 20 chance of sinking. As a ship owner, I would agree with a consortium (to later become insurance companies) of people that I would pay them a premium so that, if my ship sunk, they would reimburse me for my loss. The consortium did the math (there was a 5% risk that any given ship would sink on a voyage, in my example) and set the premium accordingly. So take the value of the ship, multiply that by 5%, and there's your "premium". If the ship sunk, the ship owner had no loss, but the consortium had to pay 100% of the value (or the agreed upon amount, maybe, the cost of the cargo). If the ship didn't sink - a 95% chance of that happening - the consortium made money.

Risk sharing and allocation - who is willing to take the risk that a certain event will or will not happen.

Translate this to health care (what chance does a 25 year old male have of getting prostate cancer in the next five years, factor in the cost of medical treatment, etc.) and you had our old system of health insurance.

Most, I dare say, MOST people do not understand how insurance works. Had people understood the concept of risk allocation, maybe they would also have understood, like many of us did, that Obamacare *never* was going to work as sold to the public.

It's not rocket surgery -- all of the effects of Obamacare - 100% - were entire predictable and predicted.
edit on 19-10-2014 by LanceCorvette because: add paragraphs about history of insurance

edit on 19-10-2014 by LanceCorvette because: add a sentence.

edit on 19-10-2014 by LanceCorvette because: add a sentence.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Thankfully I'm christian, so I'm sure all the people reponsibles for that disaster will go to hell.

I wish people would stop claiming to be Christians right before they say things like that.

As far as Obamacare goes,
What's wrong with you people?
Don't you want free health care?

edit on 19-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Tatanka

originally posted by: Tatanka
Ours went from $448.00 to $928.00 a month. We received a letter stating that it will go up again to $1,014.00 a month. We will be going without insurance, because at this point, my husband is already working two jobs, and I'm working part time and taking care of our baby and I cannot go to full time right now due to her needs. So my husband and I will have to go without. There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many jobs a person can work at once.

Good gosh ! That sucks is an understatement to say the least !

Conspiracy time:

Those who can not afford ACA will be fined ... money taken/found by the 16,000 IRS agents hired to help manage the program.. What a great deal for the government as the fines increase.. The fines go up and the tax refund checks continue to shrink...

But hey, after all is said and done, the ones who were uninsured to begin with will still be uninsured and they will have company..

You let idiots run things expect idiotic policies and procedures to be forced on all within their reach.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I don't know if everyone has gotten the word but the 'SUBSIDIES' will only be paid to those who signed up through a state ran exchange...so only people who signed up in the 16 states that set one up will get subsidies. Everyone who signed up through the national exchange will not be getting anything.

I believe this is currently in front of the SCOTUS.

Forbes

2nd Source

SCOTUS Blog
edit on -05:00pmSun, 19 Oct 2014 20:31:27 -0500pm1020143119PM10 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

At this point, I don't know what any party can do to 'fix' Obamacare.

Republicans can repeal it if they win in November.

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
With the credit/subsidy wealth redistribution/strong-armed robbery/gubmit' freebies, I now have better coverage at a lower price than I had before it increased.

Fixed it for you.
edit on 19-10-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Im using Aetna, and also got a letter in the mail a few days ago. Currently, it's just me on the plan.

I was paying $163 a month with the current plan, but now they're raising it to $260 a month.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join