It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

protester burning American Flag in St. Louis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Interesting. They can use it to make a statement but I don't think it is going to help the cause in the long run. Lots of people in the country don't see that action as positive.

Believing shooting at a police officer won't result in returned gun fire is short sighted.

Guess we will see the results soon since they say they are ramping the protests up.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

They can't wait for the Grand Jury. They want Special Treatment.

This is no longer about Fat Mike acting a fool getting himself killed.

These people are just looking for a fight...I believe they will get their wish.

This shooting looked bad...why don't they let the System work.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The reaction to this has been interesting to watch.

Ive seen some people get far more upset about the burning of the flag than they are about an off duty cop putting 17 rounds into a kid, regardless of circumstance. Ive seen others that think this kid was justified *if* he did shoot at the off duty cop.

Both sides of this have crossed a line of no return. Its about to get ugly.
edit on 10-10-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

Its about to get ugly.

I agree with that statement. I think the last shooting which seemed justified is a big catalyst. I doubt these protesters that want violence realize what it will take to win. It a lot more then the group in Ferguson or St. Louis. After watch the previous protests, I can only imagine what happens when the police unleash them self after some shooting at the police during a protest.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Its about to get ugly.

I agree with that statement. I think the last shooting which seemed justified is a big catalyst. I doubt these protesters that want violence realize what it will take to win. It a lot more then the group in Ferguson or St. Louis. After watch the previous protests, I can only imagine what happens when the police unleash them self after some shooting at the police during a protest.

A big problem, too, is outside antagonists.

Most law enforcement agencies acknowledge that there are instigators traveling to MO simply to start trouble.

The picture is so muddled now....

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
i would imagine flag burning doesn't make points with the police. Keep poking the beast before you enter the cage...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
i would imagine flag burning doesn't make points with the police. Keep poking the beast before you enter the cage...
On that, all i can so is too bad.

While I dont advocate violence in anyway, I certainly gave up on trying to make points with cops a long time ago. There is a major cultural issue there, and I refuse to kiss boots.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
It would sure be a laugh if the reaction was less flipping out and more "It's cloth, so what." I personally find effigies, flag burning, etc -- the "symbolism" ish, pointless. It only holds as much power as an onlooker gives it. And since symbolic stuff holds very little meaning to me, I'm of the "It's a cloth, so what"camp. In other words, I'm going to be as swayed/moved by it as one flown upside down by someone ticked off.

What holds indisputable meaning to me is a community active in it's own development and running. If these folks see a problem where they live, they need to be more actively involved in how their town is run. No, not by burning a flag or by marching repeatedly to the point of becoming white noise -- run for local office. Be on the city counsel, that kind of thing. If you want change and get truly involved, that's when you start to make a real difference. Get your hands dirty & be a part of what governs everyone so you can fix what's broken.
edit on 10/10/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Whatever I think about the situations that led up to this cannot express the total disagreement of them burning the flag.

They are fighting for freedom, why are they burning the symbol of it and not doing something else, ANYTHING ELSE - is beyond me. This is what terrorists do, now they will be looked at that way also, regardless.

edit on 10/10/2014 by AnteBellum because: clarification

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum
Whatever I think about the situations that led up to this cannot express the total disagreement of them burning the flag.

They are fighting for freedom, why are they burning the symbol of it and not doing something else, ANYTHING ELSE - is beyond me. This is what terrorists do, now they will be looked at that way also, regardless.

I think that the idea is showing that they believe what it stands for has died.

Not saying I agree with it or the activity, but I do believe that is the message that they are trying to convey.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Perhaps we are mistaken in thinking or believing that the American flag is a symbol of freedom. For some, it's a symbol of death, oppression, force and hatred.

How our government treats its citizens should symbolize freedom, not a flag made in China.
edit on 10/10/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I have hung my flag upside down before in protest too. I can't help but feel the symbolism of this act is such as 'burn down the establishment' not correct it. Rage and destruction is presented, not change and correction and they will get it now.

Why couldn't they have taken the Constitution and burned it instead or the statue of liberty could have been made to look some way. I don't know to me burning the flag sends the wrong message.

a reply to: sheepslayer247

I haven't thought of it that way. . . I have many issues with the American government but I still love the USA and the foundations it WAS based on. I guess it hurts me to see it treated this way now.
edit on 10/10/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
a reply to: roadgravel

They can't wait for the Grand Jury. They want Special Treatment.

This is no longer about Fat Mike acting a fool getting himself killed.

These people are just looking for a fight...I believe they will get their wish.

This shooting looked bad...why don't they let the System work.

Probably because it doesn't

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

They are fighting for freedom, why are they burning the symbol of it

I doubt people see The U.S. Flag as a symbol of " Freedom"

I would take this any day over The U.S. Flag

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Flag burning is such a limp way of making a statement.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
These people are dancing like puppets to a song they are seemingly incapable of hearing.

They are doing exactly what 'they' want, which is become mindlessly agitated and violent beyond reason without any sort of solutions or conversations on how to actually fix the problem. No worries though, a plan is most certainly in place to take advantage of this by providing the same type of 'solution' as we are seeing across the board!

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Be on the city counsel, that kind of thing. If you want change and get truly involved, that's when you start to make a real difference. Get your hands dirty & be a part of what governs everyone so you can fix what's broken.

I heard a commenter, when asked why the people didn't trust the DA but he had been elected over and over, state that the black turn out was low so they didn't elect him. Well, there's your problem.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
The reaction to this has been interesting to watch.

Ive seen some people get far more upset about the burning of the flag than they are about an off duty cop putting 17 rounds into a kid, regardless of circumstance. Ive seen others that think this kid was justified *if* he did shoot at the off duty cop.

Both sides of this have crossed a line of no return. Its about to get ugly.

The leaders we follow cross such lines daily--here and overseas.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AphoticJoe

The leaders we follow cross such lines daily--here and overseas.
No question about that.

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

"Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the Symphony ...
Of Destruction" Megadeath

<<   2 >>

join