It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for preppers and prepper adjacents

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It's possible that my question was missed by the author of this thread, but I'm very curious - I mean, it's a part of the thread title.

What is a prepper adjacent?

edit on 10-10-2014 by BasementWarriorKryptonite because: changed language

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite Oh, sorry. See, I don't know all that much about the prepper movement except that it exists. Therefore, I was trying to include people who might share traits with preppers but identify as something else. For instance, I know a guy who considers himself a weekend survivalist and has had to explain to others how he's not really a prepper. I was trying to make room in the question for my own ignorance, basically. As for why I didn't answer sooner, it seemed silly to do so when the answer would turn up 2 pages away. I may have missed a trick to avoid doing that. This time it worked out. Does that clear things up?

edit on 11-10-2014 by Evergreen because: Added content.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'm not complaining about how the thread has gone. Y'all do whatever you want. But I think it's interesting that the conversation has turned more to issues of ability and disability and less to issues of why survival is fundamentally desirable. I was using my depression as a jumping point for explaining why I ask this question in the first place, and what my decision is, but instead it became more of the focus of the thread. (Apologies for the bad writing.) When a person decides to prep, why? Pure animal instinct to live? Having a family to look after? A desire to become one of the ones to rebuild society? A concept of survival being a game and wanting to win? Never really thought about it? a reply to: Evergreen

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Well, because deep down what we truly want, is to stop working so we can live, and start living to stay alive.

Survive stay alive and thrive.

I believe this current model of society isn't as compatible as we may believe it is to our general health and psychological well being.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I agree with your last point, and thank you for the reply, but the rest of your post sounds suspiciously like what's on the back cover of a Walking Dead graphic novel. I always felt that was put there by someone other than the author of the comic because the contents of the book convey a much different, darker message. (Oddly enough, I've never seen the TV series; only read the comic up past where I'm told the TV series is right now.) reply to: iclimbtowers
edit on 11-10-2014 by Evergreen because: Minor change in wording

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: iclimbtowers

I completely agree. Everyone is so far removed from what we did and were as a society for centuries, even just in our recent history. It's just off. Like a watered down domesticed version of what we were and could be.

And not in an elevated good domesticated way either; like peace, acceptance and understanding. We just have overwhelming depressions, apathy in the highest order and with a lack of true outlets for our powerful minds. Sad we're all just like grumpy cat's sitting in windows just watching the world go by, and never actively participating in it.

It's not that I particularly WANT to live the simple life after shtf.. but it probably wouldn't be until the dust settles, and then after that all focus and energy would be in starting over, except the right way. Balance and respect for nature and our fellow life forms on this earth. For without it we wouldn't be were we've gotten and we can't keep going were we're headed. It's just so out of whack and we all know it.

There has to be a tipping point... a reset; and I guess many of us are just "waiting". ?

I'd rather realize and know now that this is abnormal, a drop in our bucket. The realities we live in today can be the memories of tomorrow and I always have that in mind

edit on 11-10-2014 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
That reminds me of a theory that has been around for years, though I don't remember it's origin: civilization has risen and fallen countless times over the last thousands of years. (The controversial part is how many thousands of years!) This suggests that we would not do it "right" the next time, but simply repeat the usual with some different window dressings. Unless we finally hit that time when we really do get it right, if that time ever comes. Also, how far back to our roots are we looking to go to find ourselves again? Hunter-gatherers? Subsistence farmers? City-states? I won't deny there's a lot wrong with our current state that needs to change, but I'm also getting some implied (or overt) romanticizing of the past in some of these posts. a reply to: Ilovemygreatdanes

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Evergreen

No romanticism here
It was hard and dare I say miserable at times, just surviving, and I'm sure it could be that way again. But this whole thing is a mess and will end badly

A hybrid new mash up of safe and sustainable technologies and engery sources? Could it be done, it's hard to say. But I could see it! This along side a more cohesive hunting/gathering/bartering system rather than the consumerism of the last 150 years and savage capitalism. The last time I checked the resources we hold dear and near to fuel our new life styles is finite ( in my humble and possibly misguided opinion).

And I so believe great civilization rose and fell. It's fascinating! Doing the same thing over and over is insanity I know, but is it wrong to hope and try to do something new and different to overcome the cycle? I think domineering and fighting against our born morals, to attain wealth and power, demanding control are all major issues. Yes, sadly this is something that will never change unless we can rise above proven human behaviors. Slim but we can/could try.

Everything is temporary but a strong will can try to overcome the materials and turn inward and reconnect to ourselves again.

Btw I'm loving this thread!

edit on 11-10-2014 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: didn't mean to say "spam"! phone is difficult to post from

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
You know Evergreen, you may be right in some of your statements so lets go with you are. At the very least, part of your issue may also be you're not being all you can be, doing all you can do. So skip the prepper stuff in the event of TSHTF. Focus on now, make your life better now. Experience new things, get OFF the net - it's addictive and CAN be depressing. Get out of the house, go visit nature - she's beautiful, take up an outdoor hobby - sailing, archery, hiking, golf. Take up an indoor hobby - something artistic, redecorate your living quarters, yoga. Search yourself (this could take a very long time) you really should put some effort in to find out what you want or might be interested in. I'm really trying to help you out here. I feel depressed sometimes too and I have a fairly busy life. It happens to a lot these days. We have a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, clothes on our backs and some of us have some sort of spiritual relationships and even have decent jobs, but there seems to be an emptiness and a feeling of not being really needed on this planet and it can cause many of us to feel down. As stupid as this may sound, do you have a pet? That also might help.
I sincerely hope you can attain a sense of belonging and happiness and feeling you're a needed part of this crazy ride we call life - at least some of the time.

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Aw, thanks for loving the thread. I've been on ATS a few years but this is the first thread I've ever started. One thing that really, truly amazes me (and I hope I'm not dragging this too off topic here) is that civilization still exists right now. I mean, we should have nuked ourselves out of existence decades ago. I don't know how we haven't. Maybe aliens really are watching over us or something. a reply to: Ilovemygreatdanes

posted on Oct, 11 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thanks for your reply and efforts to help. The suggestion to "search myself" is deeply ironic, though you'd have no way of knowing. A different poster on a different website berated me at length for spending too much time wrapped up in myself. Weirdly, you both are right, but I can't reconcile the two at the moment. And I don't usually spend all my time on the Internet, although today might be exactly that. I also have two cats. (This is shocking, I know.)

I think maybe having our basic needs met contributes to the experience of depression. I don't think it causes it, but rather allows us to stop, look around, and ask, "Now what?" And at least to me, the answer to "Now what?" has been deafening silence. Nothingness. Once I experienced that emptiness, I have never been able to un-hear it, even when there are things to be done. (I usually still do them; I just feel sorrow the whole time.) That's part of why I asked my opening question. I'm looking for an answer other than emptiness. a reply to: StoutBroux

edit on 11-10-2014 by Evergreen because: changed a typo

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Why not kill yourself now? What keeps you going day after day if you're miserably depressed?

We're all just animals with a instinct to survive. Some of us have a more motivation like a family to care for but deep down we'll do what a pet cat or dog that loses its comfortable home does. We'll become feral. We'll scavenge and fight as best we can to survive.

You might surprise yourself what you're capable of doing and enduring when your life is on the line. There's a deep seeded drive in all of us to survive. Some have just had it numbed by too much Internet and tv.

edit on 20uam10America/Chicago2014Monday2014214 by duaneology because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I hope that above post didn't sound like I was suggesting you should commit suicide because I was not. All I meant was that there is a reason you still go on and now and choose to face each day in spite of your depression and I believe there is more to it than having the Internet. Under shtf circumstances you may find the same instinct to survive would keep you going.

edit on 20uam10America/Chicago2014Monday20141014 by duaneology because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
No, I didn't take it as a suggestion to go ahead with suicide. Don't worry about that. As for why I'm still alive now, I don't completely understand, but there's a variety of reasons. The biggest one is that I'm afraid that whatever is in the hereafter might be worse than what I'm enduring now, even though I don't believe in a conventional Christian Hell. There's also plain ol' force of habit, animal instinct (yes, like you said), and difficulty obtaining non-gruesome ways to kill myself. (I don't love my loved ones enough to not kill myself, but I do love them enough to try not to leave a mangled corpse for them to find. Seriously, my cat got a better death when we put her down than the choices I have! But that's getting off topic.) By the way, people really latched onto that Internet example! I could have just as easily said sanitation systems, antibiotics (in the non-overused way), or a variety of other technologies..a reply to: duaneology

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I cant say Im a true prepper but have been stocking up lately with ammo, food, protection supplies, etc. I think you will find the common thread most preppers have is they want to be able to control their environment if at all possible. Obviously there will be situations and events no one can control but a prepared person will most likely fair better then an un prepared person.

The last position I want to be in during a crisis is a helpless position where I have to line up and take whats given especially since a string will mostly likely be attached. It's like welfare, you get aide but there is a string attached!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I think we all found the Internet comment funny/strange so we beat it to death.

Listen, I'm not one to delve into the corny self help bullshxt but maybe you should consider some cognitive therapy. Changing the way you feel by changing the way you think is very real and powerful. You seem to lack feelings of gratitude for what you do have. You're a gifted communicator, you have food, four walls and a roof, you live in a country where great things are possible if you find the drive to make them happen. I'm not telling you to "sack up" or calling you a crybaby. Depression is real and overwhelming. Go get help. You wouldn't sit there with a broken leg, suffering and waiting v for the apocalypse to come and end your misery. Why treat your medical condition of depression any differently?

I think when people post things like this they're seeking some understanding. Maybe even help. There are some great online forums and resources for people in your situation. I hope you take some of the time that you spend here, among the crackpots and paranoid, and instead use it to find a community that might actually be able to offer some real relief.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
That's funny; the Internet example came to mind because everyone reading my post had to be using it, so I thought they might relate. Go figure.
Thank you for the "gifted communicator" compliment. It's actually just writing I'm good at. Social interaction and speaking have been a lifelong problem. (I have high-functioning autism as well as the other stuff.) I have been doing cognitive therapy -- I'm in my second decade of that with more than one therapist. I've been trying a lot of medications too. They call me "treatment resistant."
I will admit to being pretty ungrateful. Then again, if I think something like, "I'm grateful to have enough food," I think about how many people don't and why that is, and end up filled with impotent rage towards anything that can be considered responsible, myself included. So that doesn't usually turn out as intended. A gratitude list is a great idea on principle, though.
All in all, thank you for the compassionate post. I actually posted on ATS because I was looking for viewpoints that were well outside of the mental health box! a reply to: duaneology

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

There is a very good movie called 'The Road 'made in 2009 about a father and sons struggles post collapse its dark in parts but it will give you some good ideas and an idea of what things will be like

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

edit on 22-10-2014 by Evergreen because: Post made by mistake. It happens sometimes.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Haven't seen it but thanks for the tip! I did read The Walking Dead comic series (never got around to watching the TV show) and reckoned it was a pretty realistic depiction; minus the zombies, of course. Oh, I should point out that I'm no longer current on the comic series -- just read up to the point that was published at the time. a reply to: khnum

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join