It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orwell's 1984, why he wrote it, read in schools all over; still considered "fiction"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: solemind4

gotta scroll down a bit but it is here on the left hand side egodialogues.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Great F"in book,

Unfortunately what Orwell never saw coming and what we will have here soon is more horrifying than he could have imagined.

At least in 1984 some people knew they were being opressed, and everyone knew they were being monitored.

Essentialy what is beung created now is a virtual pen. Where no one can do any actual harm and anyone who causes too much waves or knows too much is removed without the rest of the cattle even looking up.

Hell, they can even take out whole airliners and just shrug and say " we dunno where it went.
edit on 2-10-2014 by IntastellaBurst because: content removed by NSA

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Books like these are classics fur a reason. I think that the Western elites are people who see this as ideal (because they would be at the top forever). They've used them as blueprints.

I've also already made the assumption that I have nothing to fear from being on a site like this because they know me and most of you are no real threat because we have no real power in reality.

They absolutely must be watching sites like this and my guess is that they are using this and other sites like it to better monitor, respond to and control public opinion. Secondarily we probably give them fantastic ideas they never even thought of. They read something amazing on here, bring it to their boss and get accolades and then they all laugh at our blindness.

Remember everyone, the Internet for all its airs of being the voice of freedom did come out of DARPA. They never release militarily technology for no reason so I'm sure they foresaw this.

Or maybe they didn't because of course there's no global elite or big brother. Remember, 1984 is just fiction, you crazy conspiracy theorist nut jobs.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

thank you

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
We had to read both 1984 and Brave New World - And of course you can see manifestatins of both dystopian novels in our contemporary world. But the fact is it is more like Brave New World than 1984 - What they are creating is a 'fools paradise'.
In 1984 happiness was virtually outlawed - In the world of today 'they' want everyone to be happy and to have the illusion of freedom. They have drugs, pills, and entertainment to keep the masses happy and by enslaving everyone to money while giving them choices that make them feel free their objectives of total world control are meet with less resistance. And of course you don't need a camera in everyone's house to monitor you like in 1984 as your computer and cell phone that make you feel free also can be used to monitor everything you do. Welcome to 'The New World Order'

Try being poor sometime. The world really does feel like 1984. Brave New World is for the wealthy.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
In our world you don't need Big Brother viewing everyone through cameras.

Instead, everyone voluntarily gives their information to Facebook and downloads everything about themselves to 'The Cloud'.

Every persons whereabouts can be kept track of by their phones, conversations monitored, and who knows if they can even access your microphone and camera.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Eh your posting in the internet. Life can't be that bad :p

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I didn't read the book until I was in my mid-twenties because it had been removed from the required reading list. Before I graduated all I knew of the book was from parodies or other pop-culture references, it was never even mentioned in school. After finding a copy online and reading it, I fully understand why it was pulled from schools. (or at least mine... are there still places where it's required reading?)

The most ominous and relevant theme in the book, to me, is one I rarely see mentioned. I looked up a list of themes from the book just now and not a single one mentions false flag attacks. It is never explicitly stated, but the rocket that goes off while Winston is walking through the city was not an enemy attack. It was the government attacking it's own citizens to induce fear and legitimize their aggression.

If you haven't read it yet, the book is available online for free along with all of Orwell's other works, here:
Orwell Online

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: Aazadan

Eh your posting in the internet. Life can't be that bad :p

Maybe, maybe not. I have electricity, clean water, and a roof. I even have a computer and internet (both of which are mandatory for school, the computer having been a gift). Of course I own zero furniture not even a mattress to sleep on, go to bed hungry every night because there's never enough food (my food budget is $2/day), and can't afford medical coverage to have health issues that cause constant pain dealt with.

From my viewpoint things are pretty awful but I suppose if you compare me to the average person in North Korea I have a wonderful life.

posted on Oct, 3 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView
Well one could argue entertainment and drugs and sex and other indulgences are not actually happiness, they're only shadows of its cousin. I think 1984 is accurate enough. In effect, it's the disempowerment and control of hte citizenry through a mazework of techniques. Keep the needs of the citizenry as low as can be, while also retaining a sufficiently solid grip on power. If the citizenry doesn't get its minimum then they might riot or become dysfunctional. Government cannot exist without its citizenry.

How to take freedoms away from people while giving the illusion of increasing them? This is what I see going on. A lot of it has to do with the increasing steelwork jungle sprouting up across the world and billions of people coming to life, dreaming of riches and fame. How to control the world's population to ensure everybody can be fed and every industry supplied and all the critical ecosystems of Earth are also sustained? One has to remove previous freedoms which were enjoyed to stock up and preserve what remains for future generations, or so it's thought to be the case.

Many argue scarcity is artificial, and so it can't serve as a reason to control citizens, but I disagree. They argue the Earth has plentiful resources for everyone. Resources are only made to be scarce so humans can be controlled. However, what if resources really are scarce? What if ecosystems really are easily destroyed? Over the past 100+ years in America forests were cut down and regrown at least a couple times. There're few old growth stands left. At some point somebody - or usually a form of governing body - had to step in and run a sustainable forestry. This meant they had to control things while also ensuring there's enough wood for everyone and enough help for loggers who've lost their jobs.

It's also that the enterprising people demand so much more reward than the average Jo or Jill. $1,000,000 isn't enough. $100,000,000 isn't. $1,000,000,000 isn't either! And this is probably where much scarcity comes from. It's rooted in the finite number of people on Earth and the finite economy which represents them. To defy this one would create money illegitimately which I do not condone! And if everybody were equal and so produced equal value in the economy then this would also reduce the scarcity. But since Jack works twice as hard and twice as effectively as Matt then Jack will recieve a considerably larger paycheck. If Matt is on the lower rungs of the economic ladder then he'll be a poor sob. Richard, on the other hand, runs the business and pulls in 100x more than Jack. So now Matt is really feeling it down there on the lower rungs.

AFte rereading my post I think what I should say is while I think governemnt is necessary sometimes to manage things in order to meet needs, I do agree with Orwell that government can become its own enemy when it grows too big and forgets its reason for being there. Not to just govern, but to govern to empower people.

It could be the spirit of freedom will oneday only be realized off Earth. Earth may become a sort of prison or jaded world weighed down by its rules. It's a place where one fatal mistake can eliminate the entire Earth's population. Years and years of rules and fears and cabin fever will do a toll on this place.
edit on 3-10-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join