It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nano-sized Hydrogen Generator

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I did a search and didn't find anything on this very important breakthrough.

Researchers Create Nano-sized Hydrogen Generator

Researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory have created a small-scale hydrogen generator that uses light and a two-dimensional graphene platform to boost production of the hard-to-make element.

The research also unveiled a previously unknown property of graphene. The two-dimensional chain of carbon atoms not only gives and receives electrons, but can also transfer them into another substance.

Hydrogen is virtually everywhere on the planet, but the element is typically bonded with other elements and must be separated from oxygen in H2O to produce free hydrogen. The commercial separation process uses natural gas to react with superheated steam to strip away hydrogen atoms producing hydrogen fuel, but also carbon dioxide — a greenhouse gas byproduct which escapes into the atmosphere.

Yadda Yadda Blah Blah Blah

Ok, so what does this all mean to me and why is this important?

Argonne’s early-stage generator, composed of many tiny assemblies, is proof that hydrogen can be produced without burning fossil fuels. The scale is small, a little smaller than the diameter of spider silk. Scaling this research up in the future may mean that you could replace the gas in your cars and generators with hydrogen—a greener option, because burning hydrogen fuel emits only water vapor.

Umm, yeah..

Replace gasoline with a cleaner burning fuel while potentially solving a 'Fresh water' problem by collecting that water vapor in an on board container for future use and avoiding another war over OIL etc etc etc

Yup,

Pretty important stuff

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

nice thread as always slayer

yeah Graphene is the way forward at the moment, hopefully many exciting products to come

+ omg get with the hydrogen already THE most abundant element in the Universe.. its a no brainer

Q
edit on 29/9/14 by Quantum_Squirrel because: added additional thought

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Awesome new application of the 'wonder material' discovered in a manner reminiscent of drunken plans to steal traffic cones.

The electron transference was already known, or at least suspected, based on an article I read a year back - there was a projection that our tablets, phones and computer gadgetry could be charged in seconds, as opposed to current minutes/hours. Can't remember the magazine it was in; it was a copy sitting on a table in the doctor's waiting room.

PS - The scaling-up leading to hydrogen fuel vehicles is a strange one. I'm a little surprised that this info is freely propagating, considering it would sucker-punch the petrodollar.

edit on SeptemberMonday1419CDT07America/Chicago-050031 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I sure hope something can come from this. We already have the technology to use the hydrogen, all we need is for it to be produced efficiently. (Oh, and to not have the technology hidden)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This technology won't be hidden. It will be bought up by the petrochemical cartels and priced to be out of reach of the average person. Only the mega rich will be able to afford to drive around in free energy vehicles that use this technology.

" OMG, it's amazing! My chauffeur actually drove me cross-country to visit all 5 of my mansions and it didn't cost me a cent. I even gave the water from my exhaust pipe to some homeless people."

It's an amazing development but don't get your hopes up. This won't be for the masses. We'll still be driving around in 15 year old vehicles burning $10 a gallon gasoline.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

I hear ya

But you wouldn't mind if I didn't share your level of optimism do you?

Sooner or later these types of developments will become too overwhelming and will eventually spill over.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

All I want to know is, how do I make one of those.

Great progress, this is actually quite groundbreaking. Now all that is left is to make it accessible for everybody.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

S&F for the info.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
One more (potential) solution to quell the fossil fuel problem and implementation of carbon taxes, all we need is to find a way to hinder greed and we will solve ALL the worlds problem at once.

I am very pleased with these advancements, but aren't we just treating the symptoms? The real problem still lies in the hearts of some men wanting more and stumping honest solutions.

Nice find sir.
edit on 29-9-2014 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

How will this tech promote carbon taxing if hydrogen cars don't emit carbon?

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Please reread my post, I believe you misunderstood.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Drive a hydrogen fuel cell car and you could have ice cold drinking water on tap any time in the car...

you could also take hot water from the fuel cell and make hot drinks from it.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
Drive a hydrogen fuel cell car and you could have ice cold drinking water on tap any time in the car...

you could also take hot water from the fuel cell and make hot drinks from it.

In theory yes. That is why I am so eager about hydrogen motors in general. It's so much more advantageous than gasoline cars in every ways.

top topics

join