It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC warns 500,000 will be infected with Ebola by January

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Aide workers being stoned or killed due to superstition or burial customs is certainly not helping. This is a perfect storm as far as a locality ripe for the spread of the virus due to ignorance.
hosted.ap.org...

Resistance to efforts to control the disease - from outright denials that Ebola exists to fears that the very people sent to combat it are in fact carriers - has frustrated efforts to end or slow the disease's spread in all three of the most affected countries, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, say officials.

In April, Doctors Without Borders briefly pulled out its team from the Guinean town of Macenta after their clinic was stoned. In Liberia, the homes of some of the infected have been attacked. Last week, Red Cross workers were threatened in Sierra Leone, Carpentier, the Red Cross spokesman, said.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Zombies now wtf next.......

Source

Two Ebola patients, who died of the virus in separate communities in Nimba County have reportedly resurrected in the county. The victims, both females, believed to be in their 60s and 40s respectively, died of the Ebola virus recently in Hope Village Community and the Catholic Community in Ganta, Nimba.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well there's no button to actually post a new thread in "breaking alt. news" at the moment, so I guess I'll just post this here.

Sorry to disappoint some of you doom and gloomers, but there's a cure. This makes about half of the threads I've read on here in the past week irrelevant.

Dr. Rick Sacra released from hospital
CDC declares 51-year-old virus-free

Read more: www.ketv.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: KAOStheory

Well, not to burst any bubbles and at the risk of being labled a 'doom and gloomer,' I wouldn't be counting unhatched chicks just yet:

So that blood really worked!! Well, not necessarily. You see, there's more at work here than just the blood transfusion. The authors of the paper  indicated that those 8 patients not only received blood transfusions, they got better supportive care, and with Ebola supportive care may keep you alive just enough for your body to fight the virus on it's own. In fact, another paper published in 1999, by Sadek et al (5), found that with Ebola, the longer you live the better your chances of survival. Sound obtuse? Well, they made a timeline for patients that included time of symptom onset and time of death or survival and it revealed a striking correlation between length of disease and survival: "In general, patients who survived the disease for at least 1 week had a probability of survival of 30%. The rate increased to ~70% for those who survived the first 2 weeks beyond the onset of symptoms." So when were the blood transfusions done? Well, they were done on day 10 post symptom onset. So those patients already had an increased probability of survival. 

Ebola Convalescent Serum: It's No Magic Bullet

FRIDAY, AUG. 29:

Sacra begins to feel feverish in the evening. He takes some Tylenol.

SATURDAY, SEPT. 6:

Sacra is very sick and weak but slightly improved from Friday,

Debbie Sacra says. He is given plasma from the blood of Brantly. The antibodies in the plasma are expected to help Sacra fight the virus.

T imeline of Dr. Rick Sacra's fight with Ebola

As we can see here, Dr. Sacra is into his second wdek of the disease by the time he receives the transfusion, amd has had much better supportive care in the meantime.

And from your very own source:

Doctors say it's not clear yet if it was a single factor or a combination of all of them that helped Sacra survive.

I would not say we have a cure.

More from your source:

"My care team was excellent," Sacra said. "They were compassionate, patient and provided an incredibly high level of care."

"I would like to offer a heartfelt 'thank you' to the exceptional doctors, nurses and staff at The Nebraska Medical Center for your caring hearts, keen minds and gifted abilities with Rick and Debbie," said Bruce Johnson, president, SIM USA. "May God multiply your work, that it will result in the survival of thousands in West Africa who may become infected with Ebola."

Sounds to me like there were over a dozen people involved in his recovery. How do you scale that up t match the reality on the ground in west Africa?

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
Yes yes I know, I did read the article so maybe not time for the happy dance quite yet.
But I think it's safe to say some of the numbers (such as those in this OPs title) are gonna change for the better.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Just a quick heads up... WHO released updated data today that covers reported cases and deaths through September 21, 2014. I've updated the Ebola charts and here is a link to the start of the updated charts:

Latest Ebola Charts

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that progress is being made. It just truth that the people on the ground over there (mostly MSF), are still screaming for help and basic supplies:

You, the international community, must help us.

We are trying to treat as many people as we can, but there are not nearly enough treatment centers and patient beds. We have to turn people away. And they are dying at our front door.

Right now, as I speak, people are sitting at the gates of our centers, literally begging for their lives. They rightly feel alone, neglected, denied – left to die a horrible, undignified death.

We do not have the capacity to respond to this crisis on its own.᤾ If the international community does not stand up, we will be wiped out.

We need your help. We need it now.

MSF addresses UN Security Council emergency session on Ebola

Statement to the United Nations Security Council Emergency session on Ebola

18 September 2014

Delivered by: Jackson K.P. Naimah, Médecins Sans Frontières, Monrovia, Liberia

Help has still not arrived, and this is not something the lends itself to footdragging.
edit on 25-9-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: typos, hate this tiny phone keyboard

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

No i hear ya, and i don't mean to down-play the situation either.

It's just that the doomsday stuff about it is getting a bit out-of-hand...for example:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet. I have seen this story in a couple of places but not anywhere mainstream. I am trying to find out if this is true - and if so, it is horrible.

According to this article, I found the source by a google search so I don't know much about the site, it states the following:

MEDICAL experts from the US Center of Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta have expressed fears that a recent ebola trial vaccine used to treat patients only happens to be effective on white Caucasians. - See more at: www.nigerianwatch.com...
[editb y]edit on 25-9-2014 by CINY8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

And I tend to stay away from threads like that and rather tend towards the more substantive ones.

a reply to: CINY8

Unnamed sources and no byline? I smell a rat.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Thousands of workers travel in and out of Africa daily, from mining, agriculture, and other businesses. It is only a matter of time before it gets out of Africa.

Yep.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Help has still not arrived, and this is not something the lends itself to footdragging.

Global Response to Ebola Is Too Slow, Obama Warns

UNITED NATIONS — Seeking to speed the response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, President Obama delivered a blunt warning on Thursday at a high-level United Nations meeting devoted to the health crisis: the world was doing too little and moving too slowly.

….“...I want us to be clear: We are not moving fast enough. We are not doing enough,” the president said. “There is still a significant gap between where we are and where we need to be.”

Mr. Obama called on countries to supply air transportation and medical evacuation services, as well as doctors and medical equipment. The United States, he said, could build a network of treatment centers but did not have enough doctors by itself to contain the outbreak.

….Mr. Obama and his fellow leaders heard a stark message from doctors on the front lines of the outbreak. They described wholesale panic, with desperate patients, angry family members, infection rates doubling every three weeks, and the collapse of public health systems, which has led to outbreaks of other deadly diseases like malaria.

….“The sick continue to be turned away, only to return home and spread the virus among loved ones and neighbors,” she said. “The isolation centers you have promised must be established now.”

Doctors Without Borders is calling for a centralized system that can be used when an aid worker from abroad falls sick, so they can be safely evacuated no matter their nationality.

….Beyond the immediate challenge, Mr. Ban said, the United Nations should consider creating a corps of health workers, modeled on the United Nations peacekeeping forces, who could be deployed to countries on short notice to combat such outbreaks.

“Just as our troops in blue helmets help keep people safe,” Mr. Ban said, “a corps in white coats could help keep people safe.”

…..On Thursday, in its latest update, the World Health Organization reported 6,242 cases of the disease, and 2,917 deaths, in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone.

The report, jointly compiled by the W.H.O. and Imperial College London, called for better management of clinics, more effective isolation of those infected, more thorough tracing of where patients contract the disease, and more support from other countries.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join