It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting an 18 year old into 120k debt should be considered criminal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
That's right, we are horrible for taking advantage of young minds and forcing them into a lifelong debt to get an education that we can easily choose to fund freely for the entire nation.

Ok, so I can't include the link because Ats source code isn't up to date with the new Apple iOS for mobile devices ie iPad so if a mod can edit this in for me great.

www.usnews.com...

The number of college graduates working minimum wage jobs is nearly 71 percent higher than it was a decade ago, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' latest figures. As of 2012, 284,000 college graduates were working at or below the minimum wage, up from 167,000 in 2002 and more than two times the pre-recession low of 127,000 in 2006. The cohort includes an estimated 30,000 people with masters' degrees, a figure that is more than twice as high as it was in 2002 and three times as high as in 2006.

Not only are we forcing our young in this country into massive debt, they are exiting college with no chance for employment.

Something isn't right here. Education NEEDS to be and SHOULD be free for everyone. This is one of the most limiting factors in the growth if this nation.

I get tired of meeting kids with degrees who are giving up because they always need 1 more year, or a bachelors isn't good enough now you need a masters, then they are told after that they need a special certificate, then they need this then they need that.

What's wrong with us?

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
OK. Let's see if I got this straight. I went to university on student loans. I paid off those student loans and now you want MY tax dollars to pay for YOUR education? Have I got that right?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I just graduated from college back in June... They give me a 6 month grace period to get my finances straight before they start calling in the loan.. Exciting times in my very near future.. I know all you folks are jealous

And, yes, college is ridiculously expensive today. Thank god I was able to secure academic scholarships, but that still only covered half my cost...

Also, I really don't understand how universities still push kids towards BS majors that don't mean sh*t in the real world today.. I went with a business degree, which is about as general/broad as you can get today. But for those kids who get a degree in Ancient languages or some other random major, I really don't understand...
edit on 20-9-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
link   
The education itself is worthless. Basically a college degree says you're willing to pay money to prove that you're willing to be obedient. Out of my family of more than 200 people I'm universally considered the smartest but yet I have the least "education" of anyone. This is due to seeing through the bull# early.

link   

It is a problem, but everyone I know with a degree that isn't working in their field of study or is underemployed has a liberal arts type degree. The people I know with business, engineering or information systems degrees are working.

My wife and I constantly tell ours kids to choose their career wisely.

+5 more 
link   

Last time I checked continuing your education when you become an adult is a choice.

+34 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
When education became a multi-billion dollar industry, people should have seen a problem brewing.

When that multi-billion dollar industry started to push college degrees as a necessity for EVERYONE, people should have seen a problem brewing.

When the standards for approving student loans were more lenient than any other form of lending, people should have seen a problem brewing.

When the required hours for a degree kept increasing, leading to more time and money required to attain the degree, people should have seen a problem brewing.

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with education anymore and EVERYTHING to do with money. Lots and lots of glorious money.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
No one forces you to go to college.

There are many jobs that pay very well that don't require a college education. My cousin has one. He's a trucker.

There are also ways to get your college education that don't require you to do it in the traditional four years on college loans.

When do we stop the "free stuff" ride in this country? When did "I want it and don't want to pay for it, so I'm entitled to it" become an excuse to make it government-funded? We cannot afford to do this healthcare, and we cannot afford to do this with college education, either.

Another thing to consider is that you generally get what you pay for. Free is not quality. It isn't with health care, and it won't be with college education, either. There is a reason why no one talks much about going to Europe to get their college diploma, and most everyone travels to the US to get theirs.

+12 more 
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Last time I checked continuing your education when you become an adult is a choice.

Explain that to a high school senior who hears nothing but "without a college degree, your life will be terrible."

link   

originally posted by: tavi45
The education itself is worthless. Basically a college degree says you're willing to pay money to prove that you're willing to be obedient. Out of my family of more than 200 people I'm universally considered the smartest but yet I have the least "education" of anyone. This is due to seeing through the bull# early.

The education itself it worthless? Really??? I learned plenty over the course of 4 years, did I learn $35k's worth a year? Hard to say, but to say the education is worthless is just silly in my opinion. The cost is silly... The idea that you need it to perform a job is silly... But the education one can obtain from a quality school is not silly...

I enjoyed my time at my undergrad, I networked with many brilliant minds who have helped me both academially and professionally speaking... Unfortunately today, you need a degree (most times) to even secure an interview (for a corporate job)...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

When government started subsidizing education for everyone is when the problem started. When government makes something "affordable," it rapidly becomes unaffordable for everyone. Government has the deepest pockets of all, and universities take advantage of that freely. Who cares about the rest of us? If we get priced out of the college, government will always pick up our tab ...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
No one forces you to go to college.

There are many jobs that pay very well that don't require a college education. My cousin has one. He's a trucker.

There are also ways to get your college education that don't require you to do it in the traditional four years on college loans.

When do we stop the "free stuff" ride in this country? When did "I want it and don't want to pay for it, so I'm entitled to it" become an excuse to make it government-funded? We cannot afford to do this healthcare, and we cannot afford to do this with college education, either.

Another thing to consider is that you generally get what you pay for. Free is not quality. It isn't with health care, and it won't be with college education, either. There is a reason why no one talks much about going to Europe to get their college diploma, and most everyone travels to the US to get theirs.

There's a huge gap between "free, government supplied" and "grossly inflated to reap massive profits." There is a middle ground that will enable our economy to thrive. As it stands, it's not hard to see where we're headed.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Part of learning to be an adult is learning to make responsible choices......

If you decide to go to college major in something that will make you money........

Dont take 120k out in loans to learn basket weaving and then cry because you cant get a damn job.......

Learn a profession thats in demand ..........

Plenty of us went to school and incurred the debt, and yes it sucks, but most of us at least my generation worked their butts off to pay them off.......

I agree that the costs are ridiculous , but at the same time you have a conscious choice to decide what to do....

Make a plan and follow through........

No offense OP cause this comment isnt directed towards you in particular, but I hear A LOT of sniveling from the younger generations, they really need to , as my grandfather use to say, "Get more try in them, and not so much quit".

edit on 9/20/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: thesaneone

Explain that to a high school senior who hears nothing but "without a college degree, your life will be terrible."

If the kid is smart enough they can always apply for a scholarship.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It must be the High Schools' fault !!

Don't they teach financial responsibilities any more?

Maybe going into debt with no income should be "criminal"?

Wait. It's all about the banks and population control isn't it.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Can you expect an 18 year old to understand s after 12 years of brainwashing and limited exposure to the rest of the world?

No you can't.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
OK. Let's see if I got this straight. I went to university on student loans. I paid off those student loans and now you want MY tax dollars to pay for YOUR education? Have I got that right?

Your damn right.

You better believe I expect our tax dollars to fund education especially when you take a look at the size of our military budget.

It is far more beneficial for society.
edit on 9/20/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Can you expect an 18 year old to understand s after 12 years of brainwashing and limited exposure to the rest of the world?

No you can't.

I thought all 18-24 year olds know it all?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Your damn right.

You better believe I expect our tax dollars to fund education especially when you take a look at the size of our military budget.

It is far more beneficial for society.

Or a smaller military budget, kids pay their own way to college, and maybe, just maybe, we are taxed a little less.....

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Not too often we agree.

I can't stand the fact that people actually think it is ok to blow 100k in student loans on a poorly research liberal arts degree, and then wonder why they aren't the Curator at the Smithsonian, or a rock star making millions.

Then when they find themselves working at McDs because of their poor life choices they want everyone else to pay for their student loans, and they want government to force McDs to pay them 15 bucks an hour despite not offering any new technical skills or increased job performance.

It's all about having other people pay for their mistakes while they live comfortably off the labor of others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join