It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis Use Is Quantitatively Associated with Nucleus Accumbens and Amygdala Abnormalities in Young

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Everyone loves Cannabis until they grow up and have kids who end up living in their basements.
General malaise would paint them with a wide brush, but there are exceptions to everything. In this case the exceptions are the rule, the standard bearers to further the agenda. My vice is better than your vice na na na na na na. But hey, if the taxes help pave the roads, let em be. Besides, most sympathizers will never get past all the big words in that study, it only means...they want to take it away....must resist....but global warming is real. Logic will prevail as always.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Nice generalization based on no facts. That almost sounds like a propaganda pitch to me.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Nice generalization based on no facts. That almost sounds like a propaganda pitch to me.

Did you read all those big words in the study that is the topic of this thread and come to the conclusion no fact finding was attempted?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

Did you read all those big words in the study that is the topic of this thread and come to the conclusion no fact finding was attempted?

Insulting and demeaning someone is a turn-off you know. To you, your profile, and anything you have to say. .

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Marijuana is not the cause of their mental health problems, it's the other way around. Self medication.

Regardless, I agree with you. It should be age restricted and legalized.
edit on 9-9-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

I read at over 500 wpm...

Cute trick, reminds me of the late 1990's online legalization debates. It is as if you want people who have never touched cannabis to believe they are more intelligent than those who have. That used to work when the vast majority of the population's only experience with the plant was from the propaganda that was pushed upon the masses.

The times have changed.
edit on 9-9-2014 by jrod because: the pen is mightier

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

You may want to take a look at this recent ATS thread: Leading Anti-Marijuana Academics Are Paid By Painkiller Drug Companies

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

You should remember that when a post you made is being replied to, the reply is always directed at two parties...you and everyone else reading the reply!

I do it myself sometimes.

It can seem your comments have been taken out of context, but in reality, the reply is aimed at a broader audience and all bases are being covered in the reply.

Know what i mean (it's early here)?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

Insulting and demeaning someone is a turn-off you know. To you, your profile, and anything you have to say. .

Ooooh this must be a brave member of the majority putting the minority view in their place, I better be careful hey or nobody will like me. Never mind that a study here is showing evidence of brain changes that are detrimental, don't speak of it, allude to it, try to connect the findings to everyday observations. Don't go against the current trend just because some study suggests you should, think of ones reputation instead.

Logic is prevailing.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Perfectly understand.
Fortunately, we came to understand each other before discussion was spoiled.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x

Marijuana is not the cause of their mental health problems, it's the other way around. Self medication.

Regardless, I agree with you. It should be age restricted and legalized.

I agree general Cannabis use, alongside many other substances (caffeine, alcohol, non-essential prescription meds, and others) ought to be age restricted purely for the developmental issues that may crop up while very young.

Although, there ought to be exceptions to this rule in cases where the positive medical benefits gained from the use of Cannabis, far outweigh potential developmental issues, in cases such as Cancer or other serious disorders.

But generally speaking, without serious medical reasons, i agree kids ought not use most substances, including Cannabis.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Ooooh this must be a brave member of the majority putting the minority view in their place, I better be careful hey or nobody will like me. Never mind that a study here is showing evidence of brain changes that are detrimental, don't speak of it, allude to it, try to connect the findings to everyday observations. Don't go against the current trend just because some study suggests you should, think of ones reputation instead.

Logic is prevailing.

Please refer to my first post in this thread for a better understanding of my take. I support legalization, but do not support youth use below the age of 18.
ETA: Below the age of 18 for selling...if a teen understands the product and the parent approves, I cannot judge that.
edit on 9/9/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling & grammar

edit on 9/9/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Good point to bring into the thread [###PERSONAL USE SNIPPED###]

By the way, ballot measures for November:

A

Alaska Marijuana Legalization, Ballot Measure 2 (2014)

F

Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, Amendment 2 (2014)

O

Oregon Legalized Marijuana Initiative, Measure 91 (2014)

W

Washington Elimination of Agricultural Tax Preferences for Marijuana, Advisory Vote No. 8 (2014)

Categories:

Marijuana, 2014
Certified for the 2014 ballot

edit on 9/9/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling

edit on Tue Sep 9 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Logic is prevailing.

Please refer to my first post in this thread for a better understanding of my take. I support legalization, but do not support youth use below the age of 18.

That position is facetious.
The vast majority begin use before 18, the only reason they would buy after the age of 18 is because they already have a lifestyle that revolves around its use. The exceptions are the pain sufferer who never used and has started off from a medical prescription or a really sheltered youth who goes away to college and finds happiness in all the wrong places, befriending those who partook and got hooked before the age of 18. That pre 18 stuff is powerful mojo, there it is again.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

The amygdala controls information flow in the brain, but I don't know what these changes mean at the moment. My guess would mean that it raises awareness of the user to levels that might even be uncomfortable and provoke anxiety. More gray matter (as shown in the marijuana users in the study) would actually increase someone's communication abilities, and more gray matter is found in healthy old adults without Alzheimers than those with developing memory problems.

Wikipedia: Gray Matter

From that alone, I would say that the study doesn't mean negative effects alone, but changes in brain structure (with some possible negative effects, also uncomfortable effects from being different than other people in society). The study also focuses on kids younger than 21 (maybe 18 or under) because their brains are developing. Developing brains using marijuana can lead to developmental problems.

My opinion is that marijuana use might change the brain's makeup permanently in younger users, which is quite depressing. I know that some people (especially children who use marijuana) experience marked intelligence loss as well as mental health trouble after quitting.

The changes are mostly limited to developing brains. The article shows that there are changes in brain structure from marijuana use in developing brains. I don't think that is disputable.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Logic is prevailing.

That position is facetious.
The vast majority begin use before 18, the only reason they would buy after the age of 18 is because they already have a lifestyle that revolves around its use. The exceptions are the pain sufferer who never used and has started off from a medical prescription or a really sheltered youth who goes away to college and finds happiness in all the wrong places, befriending those who partook and got hooked before the age of 18. That pre 18 stuff is powerful mojo, there it is again.

What is facetious is this argument is applied to Cannabis when alcohol applies to it as well but that is never brought into question from your side, nor its dangers.
ETA: How many adults start drinking before 21, 18 even? Does this mean that prohibition should be brought back?

As far as "the vast majority begin use before 18" I suggest you look into the National Household and Monitoring the Future surveys and back up your claim.

ETA: This thread also isn't geared toward legalization, it was geared toward potential dangers to brain development in youth. There have been side discussions on legality, however, that is the only thing you seem to be discussing aside from insulting everyone that they don't understand the study. Also, I pointed you to my first post in this thread to direct you to my take on the threads focus as you challenged my position on that matter. Yet, you did not address that, you ignored that fact and attempt to direct the conversation to legality.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

This is a good argument against marijuana legalization. It was the argument used in my county (in Washington State) to place a moratorium on marijuana businesses.

At the moment, however, I think that the enforcement is over-the-top and destructive, even considering this viewpoint. I did notice no source on the "people start under 18" argument.

From my personal experience, I have met people with a wide range of ages they started smoking. I certainly think you are right that some people start before they turn 18, but I hardly think that is everyone. Many start in college after 18 or working in low-income jobs after 18, the list is endless.

Legalization actually could make it harder for people to start smoking under 18 because, at least in Washington, there are definitely rules in place against doing that and appropriate punishments for it.
edit on 09amTue, 09 Sep 2014 02:58:58 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 09amTue, 09 Sep 2014 02:59:17 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 09amTue, 09 Sep 2014 03:00:56 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 09amTue, 09 Sep 2014 03:02:08 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

the only reason they would buy after the age of 18 is because they already have a lifestyle that revolves around its use

In my case you couldn't be more wrong. I never even touched alcohol or any other drugs until I was 18. I didn't think it was for me because of all the propaganda drilled into my head as a youngin'. I had been around and offered many, many times before then but chose not to. Peer pressure might be a bitch but a lot of people can see past that. When I became an "Adult" according to this country I decided to give it a go and you know what? It's not as horriible as most would like to believe. All the crap they spew in DARE classes is BS. I have yet to read a thread where anyone advocated for kids to use it except in extreme circumstances agreed to by their parents. Do you not believe in a free citizen's right to ingest what he wants as long as it doesn't harm others? That's the single most important thing to take away from this issue, ADULT USE. Kids should absolutely be kept away from all mind altering drugs, including but not limited to MJ, caffeine, nicotine, etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kx12x

Not the only cause but it certainty helps.
When I looked after the mentally unwell the ones whom were in their early twenties all had one thing in common, they used MJ at a very early age.
Like any mind altering thing it isn't good for kids.
Now Iam all for legalizing it (You can guess why lol
) but we shouldn't let anyone have it like you said.

Oh and in my smoking life I have met Doctors, Police, Teachers whom use it.
I have been so surprised many times when I find out people whom you wouldn't expect to use it actually do.
We need to get it out of the criminal hands and let it raise revenue tax wise...at least we would get decent stuff 100% of the time and not wonder where out dosh goes.
edit on 9-9-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Now Iam all for legalizing it (You can guess why lol )

because it is stressful cleaning that damn cat 24h a day

i had a couple of mates growing up that were affected quite badly.....there is no 100% proof it was a MJ but certainly a huge possibility

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join