It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lithuania says Russia reopens Soviet conscript cases

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kitzik

no I didn'tt forget the Nazi occupation - it was irrelevant to a question about Russians!!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

It is somewhat funny we don't see on this map Ukraine.

But the quality of this article is very dubious

It was founded by the Lithuanians, one of the polytheistic Baltic tribes from Aukštaitija

Can you imagine someone describing a nation from little village ?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul
Can we go back to the topic ?

As I previously mentioned this news don't even appear in Lithuanian portal in their own language.
en.delfi.lt... as for English version, I see more comments on this forum

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Yes back on topic is a good idea

Not sure what your point is tho - it appears to be real, and the Lithuanians appear to be treating with the contempt it deserves, as well as sticking it to the Russians for their inconsistent behavior.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik

It is somewhat funny we don't see on this map Ukraine.

But the quality of this article is very dubious

It was founded by the Lithuanians, one of the polytheistic Baltic tribes from Aukštaitija

Can you imagine someone describing a nation from little village ?

Carthage and Rome are the only two that come to mind.

I think the article says "people from" not "the village of". Like Russia is named after the Russ. One people.

Thanks for the attention to that. If I every find good info about early Lithuania, I will remember it better now.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

From the Kremlin:

"Above all, we should acknowledge that the collapse of the Soviet Union was a major geopolitical disaster of the century. As for the Russian nation, it became a genuine drama. Tens of millions of our co-citizens and co-patriots found themselves outside Russian territory. Moreover, the epidemic of disintegration infected Russia itself."

Putin's words..

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aloysius the Gaul

not so. there's also Sweden, the Mongol empire/Golden Horde, and Poland during the Jagiellonian dynasty until 1572

and the Lithuanian "empire" is more accurately known as the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth - it was a form of elective monarchy that took about 100 years to form after various attempts through the 1500's, and Poland was the dominant partner.

Wasn't it Jogaila (mentioned Jagiello), a Lithuanian king who became a ruler of Poland too (a country at least 4 times smaller at the time)?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

no I didn'tt forget the Nazi occupation - it was irrelevant to a question about Russians!!

Dont forget the Nazi occupation came after the Soviet Occupation, when Nazi Germany and the USSR were allies.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Dont forget the Nazi occupation came after the Soviet Occupation, when Nazi Germany and the USSR were allies.

There's a twist to this story, which has implications. It's an open violation or hint that Hague convention II treaty doesn't work for some (war crime?).

Inhabitants of occupied territories may not be forced into military service against their own country and collective punishment is forbidden.

Soviets openly violated treaty, used enforced conscription in Lithuania since 1944-07-26. It's a strong reminder of things that were happening long time ago.
edit on 12-9-2014 by PonderingSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Thanks for pointing that out. Most people forget Molotov--Ribbentrop. WWII started out with the Soviets and Nazis as being allies and they divided up Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe. They each got 1/2 of Poland and the SOviets got the Baltics and the Nazis got the Czechs out of the deal.

www.ushmm.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul
Can we go back to the topic ?

As I previously mentioned this news don't even appear in Lithuanian portal in their own language.
en.delfi.lt... as for English version, I see more comments on this forum

You're wrong. It was all over the news. Here's the lithuanian version: www.delfi.lt...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: PonderingSceptic

It is difficult to violate something when you are not a signatory to the treaty in question.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My point is simple - the tiny states of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia have no military means to take on Russia.

NATO has the military means but what NATO does in a conflict is not certain at all.

NATO may not exist forever but the fact that these countries have to live with Russia will not disappear.

This is the reason I said that relations between States must be based on realpolitik. What is happening is ganging up against Russia where these small countries are at the forefront of anti-Russia activities.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

and the Nazis got the Czechs out of the deal.

No.

Nazis got Czechs out of the deal with Britain and France, please be correct.
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk... - you can educate yourself in a spare time

All I'm trying to say that many here have very one-sided views on history.
edit on 12-9-2014 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: GargIndia

If they are not a threat to Russia then how can they be "ganging" up on them? How can those countries pose a threat to Russia when those countries don't even have their own air forces?

Do you actually think before you type? I ask because you seem to be making accusations that are not based in reality. As an example - your comments on the Baltic states.

Prior to Putin invading Ukraine, NATO was quiet and actually worked with Russia in several key areas. Since the invasion you have countries who got to experience the occupation under Russia once before and don't want to do it again.

These would not have happened had Putin not invaded Ukraine -
* - NATO had no plans to build a NATO base or station NATO troops in countries with direct borders with Russia.
* - The EU / NATO countries were winding down their military's because, at the time, Putin was acting normal and not threatening countries.
* - Several non aligned nations are now contemplating / started the process to join NATO.
* - A non aligned country is holding joint exercises with NATO forces.
* - There were no plans to place sanctions on Russia until his invasion of Ukraine, resulting in a Russian economy getting its ass kicked by sanctions.

Every single complaint Putin has made about the west / EU / NATO has now occurred / will occur BECAUSE of Putins actions in Ukraine. None of it existed prior to that point.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Uhm no -

Chamberlain did not give it to Nazi Germany. Germany took it and occupied it while Putin, errr, Hitler said he wouldn't do it again.

Secondly the secret protocols in the Nazi - USSR alliance is what we were talking about - Which would mean Poland, the Baltics and south east europe.

Please read and understand before answering. Thread drift is bad enough without people trying to push information on an unrelated topic.

Ribbentrop - Molotav agreement.

NOT the Sudetenland.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Please read and understand before answering. Thread drift is bad enough without people trying to push information on an unrelated topic.

I opened up Molotov-Ribbentrop case myself and i corrected this sentence

They each got 1/2 of Poland and the SOviets got the Baltics and the Nazis got the Czechs out of the deal.

When people make very obvious mistakes lumping Czechs into the picture I feel obliged to make correction

Also, to claim that Chamberlain didn't gave Sudetenland to Germany is ... well how I would say, not true.
It was part of the deal that Hitler takes this and "peace in our time", sadly Hitler never honored agreements too long and took all Chech Republic soon.

In a last-minute effort to avoid war, Chamberlain then proposed that a four-power conference be convened immediately to settle the dispute. Hitler agreed, and on September 29, Hitler, Chamberlain, Daladier, and Italian dictator Benito Mussolini met in Munich, where Mussolini introduced a written plan that was accepted by all as the Munich Agreement. (Many years later it was discovered that the so-called Italian plan had been prepared in the German Foreign Office.) It was almost identical to the Godesberg proposal: the German army was to complete the occupation of the Sudetenland by October 10, and an international commission would decide the future of other disputed areas. Czechoslovakia was informed by Britain and France that it could either resist Germany alone or submit to the prescribed annexations. The Czechoslovak government chose to submit.

You see the fate of Sudetenland was sealed without Czech government.
edit on 13-9-2014 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Except that they did have a choice - even the choice was not an enviable one - it was a "stitch up" they have no involvement in.....

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   

There was no mistake made in what he stated. Nazi Germany and Russia divided up territories as their "sphere of influences".

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

There was no mistake made in what he stated. Nazi Germany and Russia divided up territories as their "sphere of influences".

This. Part of the pact was to divide up the area into "spheres of influences." The Czechs were within what Stalin and Hitler agreed was Hitler's sphere.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join