It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doug Darrell Acquitted Of Marijuana Charges Through Jury Nullification In New Hampshire

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Funny, how in cannabis threads I find myself doling out stars to members I rarely agree with.

Nothing brings a community together like outrage over draconian cannabis laws.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

We gotta find common ground and unite somehow!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
a reply to: onequestion

So let me understand this.

You are saying that you are happy that social media can influence a jury to disregard law and make judgments according to popular opinion?

Well yes and no.

In therory a cause is defendant verses the people and if the people IE the jury decide its not in the publics intrest I guess the jury has the right to go withnnot guilty.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Senators
Or we can be an ignorant citizen like yourself, ignoring the fact that Rastafarians are allowed to cultivate and smoke marijuana for religious reasons. This goes for anyone with the argument along the lines of " they can just ignore the law" or " why don't we just change the laws instead of breaking them." Stop it, you sound foolish.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Senators

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Yes, as our Founders wrote on Hemp paper and lit their homes with Hemp Oil.

Our Founders would not believe a plant they depended on would be made illegal.

If a Congressman back in our Founders time tried such a thing.

They would of broke out their Hemp rope and hung them.

Which is probably why the Founders put in a way for people to ensure that their will is reflected in the laws.

Your naivete is charming. And I applaud your idealism but The will of the people isn't reflected in our laws as long as law enforcement is able to be the judge, jury and executioner.

I know it's not supposed to be that way but reality is a bitch.
edit on 7-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flint2011
a reply to: onequestion

The original reason marijuana was outlawed in the US was because of the threat hemp posed to the cotton industry and it just fomented into many other reasons from there to keep it illegal.

That was just part of the reason. The paper industry actually push more than the cotton industry to make it illegal Hearst the newspaper magnet wanted it off the market because he made a fortune from the paper industry.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Yes, as our Founders wrote on Hemp paper and lit their homes with Hemp Oil.

Our Founders would not believe a plant they depended on would be made illegal.

If a Congressman back in our Founders time tried such a thing.

They would of broke out their Hemp rope and hung them.

Not to mention the very first automobiles ran on gasoline made from hemp oil. Anything made from crude oil can be made from hemp oil and it won't be toxic like the products made from crude oil.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Senators

Incorrect. Article 6 is supreme. That is why it is called the supremacy clause. An unconstitutional law, is still unconstitutional. That is the will of the people.

Making cannabis illegal via statues, has a problem historically. Prohibition required a Constitutional amendment. Why did not cannabis require the same?
edit on 7-9-2014 by Not Authorized because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

True. But the Cotton Industry foresaw the implications well beyond Hearst and was lobbying before it really became a National discussion. At least that is what I learned from various books years back from a pot head buddy of mine......lol. Even cloth makers of other fabrics were fearful of hemp. There were religious groups and communities throwing a fit back in the day as well. The cotton industry was the biggest nay sayer from what I know though.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
...This is not the people taking the power from the government"... It is the government throwing you a bone that will keep you happy meanwhile they keep militarizing the police and keep destroying the U.S. But hey, more power to you I guess. BTW, I do know that most of you who want to legalize this plant would not understand what i mean. You are just too happy getting stoned... yay, they are going to allow you to be stoned all the time... What a win huh?...

Oh and btw, i really don't mind what you decide "as an adult", but whether you want to believe it or not this will make it even easier for minors to obtain it and that's the really sad part.
edit on 7-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
BTW, I do know that most of you who want to legalize this plant would not understand what i mean. You are just too happy getting stoned... yay, they are going to allow you to be stoned all the time... What a win huh?...

Wow. A cogent thought.

Access and legality are 2 different things. EVERYONE has access. Ask round the precinct, they'll tell you. So, what's your point?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Wow. A cogent thought.

Access and legality are 2 different things. EVERYONE has access. Ask round the precinct, they'll tell you. So, what's your point?

My point is that you can't see the trees in the forest in front of you. I know legalization will happen, it is exactly what tptb want. What better way to keep people like yourself content and obedient than by allowing you to get stoned.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Refreshing to know there are those who still very much despise personal liberty in the US, who think trial by jury is a farce, and that individual rights are for the privileged. Glad to be reminded why I left the US, as if having the highest per capita incarceration rate wasn't an indication that "Free Country" is just an advertising slogan.

Very glad to see justice does prevail once in a while.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

I think the pharmaceutical industry has the 'content and obedient' front covered.

If anything the pot users I've met are more likely to be rallying against the issues they want changed.

But I guess to you they're just a bunch of dumb stoners.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: intrepid

Wow. A cogent thought.

My point is that you can't see the trees in the forest in front of you. I know legalization will happen, it is exactly what tptb want. What better way to keep people like yourself content and obedient than by allowing you to get stoned.

Legalizing will change nothing except a lot of stupid laws.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro

I don't despite personal liberty. But for some reason too many people for a long time have seem to have lost sight of what it means to fight for their liberties. You are only fighting for a plant that will only keep you docile meanwhile the governments of the world keep militarizing the police and implementing more and more draconian laws... and there are people who want to call this a win...

Yes, as an adult you are free to decide how you want to live your life, but you are are talking about "fighting for a plant" that will only succeed in keeping you docile and complacent meanwhile our freedom and future is being taken away.

edit on 7-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I'm sorry but you're very short sighted if you think MJ is the thing that keeps people docile.

There are numerous other factors that apply to people who don't take part in a recreational drug.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

I'm sorry but you're very short sighted if you think MJ is the thing that keeps people docile.

There are numerous other factors that apply to people who don't take part in a recreational drug.

Like 2 parents working 1.5 jobs each just to make ends meet. THEN raise them. THAT one is a bitch. You have enough energy at the end of the day to turn the light off. Screw drugs.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Agreed. I'm basically my nieces caretaker because my brother and his wife don't have the energy after a full work week to give their own children much attention.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I think it's going to make a lot of people docile to be honest.

I think they are capitalizing on this issue.

It's still a win to get people out of prison. Now we'll have more awake people on the streets spreading the word.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join