It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia 'abducts' Estonian officer after Obama says US will defend Estonia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This is bad: Russia 'abducts' Estonian officer after Obama says US will defend Estonia

On Friday morning, less than 48 hours after President Obama delivered a speech in Estonia warning that Russian aggression against Estonia could trigger war with the US and NATO, Russian security forces have seized an officer with Estonia's state security bureau at gunpoint and taken him into Russia.

Estonia says the officer was kidnapped (or "abducted") on Estonian soil and taken across by force. Moscow says the Estonian officer was on Russian soil and detained with a gun, 5,000 euros and "materials that have the character of an intelligence mission." Nearby Estonian police radios were reportedly jammed during the incident.

The incident comes at a moment when Europe and the US are extremely concerned that Russia might attempt military action against Estonia as it has against Ukraine. Just on Wednesday, the United States publicly committed to Estonia's military defense, meaning that a Russian invasion of Estonia would trigger war between Russia and the US, a prospect so dangerous that the world managed to avoid it throughout even the Cold War.

"Unidentified persons coming from Russia took the freedom of an officer of Estonian Security police officer on the territory of Estonia," Estonia's state prosecutor's office announced, shortly before Russia claimed responsibility. "The officer was taken to Russia using physical force and at gunpoint."

The statement continues: "The officer was fulfilling his duties in connection to preventing a cross-border crime in taking place. The use of smoke grenades and intense interference with operative radio connections preceded the incident."

Estonian President Toomas Hendrik Ilves tweeted almost immediately about the kidnapping, indicating that the government considers it a major incident. His government quickly summoned the Russian ambassador, and Estonia's interior minister said of the attack, "This kind of behavior is unacceptable."

Click link for remainder of article...

If it turns out this guy was inside Estonia then Putin has lost his damn mind.

Is he so desperate to keep control of Russia that he will risk a war to do so? The Russian people must deal with putin before he ends them all.
edit on 5-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Putin is attempting to see how far he can push Obama... Obama makes a statment, Putin calls him on his bluff, leaving Obama and the US in a very tough position (rock and a hard place comes to mind), because if he acts on this, then we have a potential war (We all lose), if he does nothing, the US looks weak (the US loses)... Lose-Lose for the US here...
edit on 5-9-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Why does every-damned-thing have to be part of some Zionist plot?

If these Zionists are so controlling and all powerful to be involved in nearly every aspect of our government and private sector, why aren't they ruling the world rather than fighting for survival?

It's always amazing to see how people leap to these conclusions, on almost any global news events.

Wow

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The first of what is sure to be many posts attempting to blame this incident on the US.

I must have missed the part about a third country being involved. Your US-centric world view is not reality.
edit on 5-9-2014 by OpenMindedRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

A worrying development - Russia has admitted taking the man, so it wasn't any criminal activity, but exactly where he was taken is the key issue and unfortunately I've not seen any info as to the exact whereabouts, although the Estonian's seem quite emphatic it was on their side and they even located the place where he was abducted.

Let's just hope he is returned soon and unharmed - I could do without the warm afterglow of nuclear radiation this Winter, I'd much prefer my gas central heating.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

why? why do you even go online to post? what in the freaking hell did what you say even remotely have to do with Estonia? Do you have any idea how ignorant of actual events you sound?

Let me assure you, we all have opinions, personally in the right forum I feel free to voice them on Islam and religion in general.

But you might as well have gone into the crypto zoology forums and claimed Bigfoot was a Zionist.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
There is a price when you display weakness.

Putin is a Bully. He sees weakness.

Unfortunately, Bully's only understand one thing.

I can't see Obama acting against Russia. The only thing weaker than Obama is the UN.

link   
Says here that he was detained inside Russia.

Russia denies agents crossed border

link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Obama's weaknesses, and incoherent foreign policies have not just emboldened Putin/Russia it has made everything, every move they have made irresistible. Furthermore... All enemies of the west have seen the weakness of leadership in the USA as an exploitable opportunity.

Soon it will be clear, the consequences of it all... We may be too far gone now to bring it all back from the brink...

Only time will tell now.

imo

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Why does every-damned-thing have to be part of some Zionist plot?

Yea, I kinda like those boards in some perverted way.
I'm pro Zionist and anti NATO meddling with Russia.
But trying to persuade antisemites is a sure way to lose one's time,
so i don't even bother.

edit on 5-9-2014 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Right, so Obama reassures Estonia that the US and NATO will protect them from the Russians. Then the Russians run across the border and kidnap an intelligence agent and drag him back to Russia. Okaay.

I can just see the Estonian officers marching orders on that one.
    "Your sacrifice is for the motherland, the US will save you."

If that doesn't stink I don't know what does.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Russia has admitted taking the man, so it wasn't any criminal activity...

So if your neighbor kidnaps your family member, it's not criminal so long as they let you know?

Tolerance of intolerable behavior is exactly what emboldens the likes of Putin.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
More troops, we need more troops, please send more troops.

It never fails to amaze me how easily people are fooled sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It's actually funny because there is nothing anyone can do about.. All Obama can really do is make a speech to a press conference and condemn Russia but that's nothing unusual.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

Putin is attempting to see how far he can push Obama... Obama makes a statment, Putin calls him on his bluff, leaving Obama and the US in a very tough position (rock and a hard place comes to mind), because if he acts on this, then we have a potential war (We all lose), if he does nothing, the US looks weak (the US loses)... Lose-Lose for the US here...

The U.S. will continue to break Russia's balls and sanction them, along with forcing other countries to not deal with Russia either. China will not get involved, we owe them too much money and they don't want to forfeit that. China knows if the U.S. is attacked, the world will end, if the U.S. is not attacked, China gets richer. Russia is on its own at this point. The only way a war breaks out is if Russia starts it.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

The translated version of your post is up on the screens in the Russian agencies and Kremlin, they are all laughing their asses off.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

The translated version of your post is up on the screens in the Russian agencies and Kremlin, they are all laughing their asses off.

Pic or it didn't happen.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I wish I shared your confidence in China staying out. What you say is true, but at the end of the day it's not about who has more currency in the bank. It's about who controls the most land and resources.

China and Russia together would make for an alliance to be reckoned with.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
"Never let a crisis go to waste"

So Russia caught an Estonian spy on its territory and afraid about the backlash they made up a story. Probably CIA who gave the advice to make an abduction story about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join