It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Christians plan protest, boycott of Dallas Cowboys over Michael Sam signing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Right-wing Christians plan to protest the Dallas Cowboys signing of Michael Sam, the first openly gay NFL player.

“We cannot just stand idly by as Christian values and morals are trampled,” said Jack Burkman, the GOP lobbyist working to keep Sam out of the NFL. “We will do whatever we can to preserve family values in this country.”

“Jerry Jones has betrayed American values, Christian values, and his own city’s values,” Burkman said. “The people of Dallas – and Christians all across this land – are about to make him pay a huge financial price. The Cowboys are no longer America’s team.”

Curious that a gay player creates such an uproar but when players rape and beat their women, drive drunk and commit crimes...no response.

I wonder how the TV sponsors of the Cowboy games will respond to this boycott?

edit on 4-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So by "conservative Christians" do you mean Republican Christians?

Whatever they are, shame on them. It's certainly not very Christian, no matter the political bent.
edit on 9/4/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I never knew football was a vital part of the christian faith.

Seems to me it be almost like a gladiator event from Rome.

-heh-

edit on 4-9-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I didn't know homosexuality was destroying families.

I thought it was adultery and abusive that leads to divorce that is ruining families in America.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

“We cannot just stand idly by as Christian values and morals are trampled,” said Jack Burkman, the GOP lobbyist working to keep Sam out of the NFL. “We will do whatever we can to preserve family values in this country.”

We cannot stand idly by as homosexuals are given jobs? How does promoting unemployment preserve family values?

Jack Burkman doesn't seem to be preserving anything except for his well-deserved reputation as a bigoted douche.
edit on -05:00REThuEVpAmerica/ChicagoThu, 04 Sep 2014 18:00:22 -050022 by PREDEVpersona because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Ridiculous! What an idiot! His own brother says it's a publicity stunt... No doubt to get bigots to give him money. From your source:

Burkman has drafted legislation barring gay players from the NFL, but his brother said his efforts were a publicity stunt to draw clients to his lobbying firm.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I hope it backfires.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
What an idiot. Whatever happened to “Be merciful to those who doubt; save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.”
These biblethumpers need to actually start following what their religion says if they want to be taken seriously.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
So by "conservative Christians" do you mean Republican Christians?

Whatever they are, shame on them. It's certainly not very Christian, no matter the political bent.

I'm not going to place political ideology into the mix. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and take care of that; calling it an Obama plot to further divide Americans.

Surrealism abides....

edit on 4-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

-heh-

Of course it is, right along with guns and BBQ.

Hell, Jesus even spent three days suspended from the league for your sins!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The people of Dallas – and Christians all across this land – are about to make him pay a huge financial price. The Cowboys are no longer America’s team.

Actually, they're still going to make a bunch of money this year. Maybe he'll be able to question his beliefs when AT&T Stadium is still full.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

-heh-

First came god, then came football. Jesus was a quarterback. You really need to hit sunday school...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If I were the Cowboys and they did the protest on Cowboy land I would ban them for life.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

1. The article is sensationalistic at best, openly disingenuous at worst. It has been carefully worded in a manner to make this boycott seem to involve a lot more supporters than it likely does. Not all "right-wing" Christians give 2 squirts whether the Cowboys have a gay player or not. Hell, I doubt most of them care.

2. This

“I don’t want my kids looking up to me and say, ‘Daddy, what does that mean that he’s gay?’” one fan said during a radio call-in show.

is a very real issue, IMO, and it is an issue which has been intentionally manipulated by the media. As a dad, when I watch football or any other major sport on TV, I want to be able to safely watch with my 6 year old and my 8 year old. I don't need or want one of them even thinking about sex, be it gay, straight, or other. They are children. There is a clear agenda in AMerica to sexualize the youth and it is beyond sick. It also is completely unrelated to sports... if sexuality shouldn't matter, then STOP MAKING IT A FOCAL POINT OF DISCUSSION. Maybe, if the media and the LGBT community had a single collective patch of ass hairs, they'd be the change they claim to want and start talking about "Micheal Sam, the football player." But no, instead they simply must throw in that "first openly gay" or "openly homosexual" modifier into EVERY mention of him. Pardon me, but this is absolutely a double standard. If his sexuality isn't supposed to matter, then why in the hell are they so hung up on it? It's past time for the *snort**chuckle* "enlightened" media and the gay activist groups to take a hard look in the mirror at the real problem in America 2014, themselves. They are driving the hate and the fear, not the average American citizen.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Jack who?

Second line

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

So what! If these people will boycott the Dallas Cowboys because an openly gay player is on the PRACTICE SQUAD then let them. I've boycotted the Cowboys since the '70s...America's team my fanny! The Steelers owned them!

That said, while watching the pregame show on the NFL Network, Peter King stated that the commissioner called teams trying to find a place for this player. Why? Because if he was cut and couldn't find a team it would be damaging to the NFL. Really? I don't like this. If the player was not good enough to make the team or their practice squad, why should the commissioner beg other teams to take him? Shouldn't everyone be treated equally? Did this player take a position away from a better player because of his sexual orientation?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me why the CCs care who this man is sleeping with? He's not sleeping with them, they should kick rocks

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Feltrick
Shouldn't everyone be treated equally? Did this player take a position away from a better player because of his sexual orientation?

I don't know. Perhaps that question deserves it's own thread. What I'm addressing is the boycott of the Cowboys by Christians and it's repercussions for the team. Apparently Jack Burkman has a huge following.

www.fwweekly.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Haven't you heard? The "Gay" is a learned behavior and an apparent abomination. I believe it might also be contagious and there is no known vaccine. I also believe the Devil might be involved in some way.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
They must be Texan fans or cowboy fans who couldn't get a ticket anyways

edit on 4-9-2014 by Cypress because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join