It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Hours to EDIT My A$$!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Have been Dealing with this for awhile now.

At first the explanation a few yrs ago was time zones. I gave a little because I love the site.

But still...4 hours to edit is not true for all. Haven't timed it but I believe I'm getting 1 or 1.5 hours to edit. Can we fix this for us poor Easterners?

So many times I have posted, gone for a 1 hour Dinner or a 90 minute crap only to see that I can't post my new thoughts. ESPECIALLY after the bowel movement! We all know that our best thinking comes from the porcelain throne.

Please fix this ATS.

Unless of course I am the only one having these problems. If so, I have more questions and concerns i guess.

Why can't we have 24 hours to control, edit our thread? News keeps pouring in fast on current events and we would be ahead of the game if we as authors of a thread could keep up to Date for others. As it stands we can only have the same topic in 2 different forums and after that? *poof* no more threads.

Why can't the OP keep updating for 24 hrs or at the very minimum the 17 hours allotted for new topics on the live page?

IMO

Peace

edit on 31-8-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Happens to me regularly.

I have learned the true time out is just as you discovered, 60-90 minutes.

Just adjust your expectations, that's what I have done.

And yes, I've laughed derisively when it says, 4 hours.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
Happens to me regularly.

I have learned the true time out is just as you discovered, 60-90 minutes.

Just adjust your expectations, that's what I have done.

And yes, I've laughed derisively when it says, 4 hours.

I have adjusted my expectations all my life.

Please NOT here!!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The edit lock is there so that people cannot retrospectively edit their posts after a period of time to other subjects/arguments/premises, leading all of the subsequent posts being viewed/appearing to be non-sequitur/off topic.

Whats so hard in adding a second post with your further thoughts on it?

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
My problem, is that I never see my spelling or grammar errors until I walk away for a little bit. I read back what I wrote how I meant for it to be, not what I actually put. It always looks perfect to me until I walk away for a little bit. I then come back, to big glaring grammar and spelling errors that I can't fix!

If it is a happening thread, I want to get my thoughts out their right away. I don't want to type it up in word, and the walk away for a few hours to be able to notice my spelling errors and post, because by that point my post is no longer relevant.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
The edit lock is there so that people cannot retrospectively edit their posts after a period of time to other subjects/arguments/premises, leading all of the subsequent posts being viewed/appearing to be non-sequitur/off topic.

Whats so hard in adding a second post with your further thoughts on it?

I get it but that's the MODS job.

Keep it straight.

"The edit lock is there so that people cannot retrospectively edit their posts after a period of time to other subjects/arguments/premises"

Then looking at one post (OP) rather than the entire thread makes easier Doesn't it?

Our job?

Keep it current.

You know as well as I that the majority only see the first few posts to form their response. If the OP was more Detailed because of more time allowed, perhaps the replies would be more informed as well as the thread less argumentative. If the OP could keep up to Date for at lease 17 hours, less Derailment possibilities IMO.

"Don't agree with the OP at the beginning? Please re-visit as I have more info to share."

No need to search thru 87 posts.

And if we can't extend the Edit lock, how about giving the 4 hours at least? Only fair IMO.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I agree with you. My thoughts come while in the shower. By the time I'm done, get dressed, it's too late to edit.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: calstorm

Me too. I have the worst typos. I don't see them in preview. It's when I go back to read it. Looks like I can't spell or have poor grammar. Or the apple autocorrect puts some dumb word in.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

That's pretty much what I thought the reasoning was although my mind jumped to the more sinister purposes a long edit period could be misused. Seems like it could become 24 hour bait set for the unsuspecting follow up posters. If you had a sinister mind I mean.

Isn't the real time limit like one hour or something? Doesn't bother me as I try to double proof read any new thread right after posting it. If I miss stuff oh well. Basically the time limit doesn't bother me.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Have you thought about a computer in the bathroom? lol

But I agree, I have the same problem here in NJ, when in NM I didn't.
I wish they had a string function to add reply posts to the bottom of other reply posts. It just seems more 'tidy' that way, all relevant material or replies stay together, when other replies just go down the list like we do now.
Really all they have to do is make the message area smaller and indent it under the original reply.
edit on 8/31/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
a reply to: neformore

That's pretty much what I thought the reasoning was although my mind jumped to the more sinister purposes a long edit period could be misused. Seems like it could become 24 hour bait set for the unsuspecting follow up posters. If you had a sinister mind I mean.

Isn't the real time limit like one hour or something? Doesn't bother me as I try to double proof read any new thread right after posting it. If I miss stuff oh well. Basically the time limit doesn't bother me.

Sinister people on ATS? NAH!

But if true...there are many other ways...lol

Peacr

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Have you thought about a computer in the bathroom? lol

But I agree, I have the same problem here in NJ, when in NM I didn't.
I wish they had a string function to add reply posts to the bottom of other reply posts. It just seems more 'tidy' that way, all relevant material or replies stay together, when other replies just go down the list like we do now.
Really all they have to do is make the message area smaller and indent it under the original reply.

It would be easier for a MOD to monitor the OP from one post at the beginning IMO.

Keeps everything intact for a longer time rather than catching a runaway post.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Sorry to burst your bubble but the staff of ATS aren't your personal secretary - we're not hear to pander to your wandering thought processes, we're here to make sure the T&C are adhered to.

When you have a conversation, you would not insist that you say everything to the person you are speaking to first, and then say nothing more, so why not let it flow?

That or simply write in a word processor and only submit it when you've had a shower, eaten breakfast, been out for a jog, had a coffee, decided on what you are going to do etc etc etc and are finally happy with what you have to say.

Thats a damn site easier than re-writing the board code.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I have the same problem. If I go back to edit after an hour or two. It says I have passed the four hour limit. Which is fine. It does not bother me at all. Its just when it says you have four hours. You really do not. I am in central time. If that matters lol. Like I said not really complaining. Just giving my experience, that the edit time out does not last four hours. Which is why I edit right away now. Or type up really long posts in a word editor.
edit on 31-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

Sorry to burst your bubble but the staff of ATS aren't your personal secretary - we're not hear to pander to your wandering thought processes, we're here to make sure the T&C are adhered to.

When you have a conversation, you would not insist that you say everything to the person you are speaking to first, and then say nothing more, so why not let it flow?

That or simply write in a word processor and only submit it when you've had a shower, eaten breakfast, been out for a jog, had a coffee, decided on what you are going to do etc etc etc and are finally happy with what you have to say.

Thats a damn site easier than re-writing the board code.

WOW!

Not once have I asked you to to over extend yourselves as editors..

In fact my suggestion was to not only give us more time but to make your job easier.

If you can't see that, I'll keep my bubble intact thank you.

As far as the board code...it sez 4 hrs but we Don't get that time so a re-write might be in order if only to tell us EXACTLY how much time we have.

Is that too much?

Completely ignored the fast running current info that WE could update to keep your job easier as well.

JUDE11

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Why not just get it right the first time and deal with what you post?
I edit things multiple times before I post in some cases.
There is a right way and a wrong way to do things....the first time is the right way.
Do it right the first time and post on it after if it needs to be clarified further.
Simple.

My edits are usually within the time frame given.
If not...post again.

edit on 31-8-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

We in the Marine Corps have a saying we use when we're on the rifle range. "One shot, one kill". But it translates to any number of facets of life. Pretty much do it right the first time and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Not trying to be a dick, Ok maybe I am. I'm drunk so I'm not quite sure. But I don't have any animosity for you. I enjoy most of your posts.

I'm Just saying.

edit on 31-8-2014 by watchitburn because: Ha ha, oh the irony...

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Why not just get it right the first time and deal with what you post?
I edit things multiple times before I post in some cases.
There is a right way and a wrong way to do things....the first time is the right way.
Do it right the first time and post on it after if it needs to be clarified further.
Simple.

My edits are usually within the time frame given.
If not...post again.

And again:

"News keeps pouring in fast on current events and we would be ahead of the game if we as authors of a thread could keep up to Date for others."

It's always about posting fast and furious but one minute or 2 hours later things can change. Why not allow us to change the OP so as to either update or even say..."oops...5 hours later, hoax Detected...Please Delete"

Saves you time, saves viewers time. Why is this not simple?

But again, if we can't have more time why not at least the 4 hours?

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

We in the Marine Corps have a saying we use when we're on the rifle range. "One shot, one kill". But it translates to any number of facets of life. Pretty much do it right the first time and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Not trying to be a dick, Ok maybe I am. I'm drunk so I'm not quite sure. But I don't have any animosity for you. I enjoy most of your posts.

I'm Just saying.

Thanx but I was Navy.

lol

But...This is neither...it's ATS. I guess I just expect more from what we are to accept as "Different Opinions Appreciated"

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I feel your pain and have experienced the less than 4 hour window as well. Usually I am only trying to fix a typo. I am terribly bad at grammar/punctuation and sometimes don't see it until it's too late... then it haunts me because I can't fix it.

I'm not sure why it always says 4 hours when it isn't. Maybe some kind of glitch? Who knows...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join