It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine to seek NATO membership - BBC

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Painterz

I was thinking it would force the issue as well. Although I'm not sure if Ukraine would get NATO membership right away, and there seems to be a lot of paperwork keeping the U.S. and its allies from aiding Ukraine at the moment. But maybe that would change if Ukraine was a member of NATO.

NOT going to happen.
ukraine wants to use NATO to stop the conflict and/or start the WW3.

the trouble is, no country can become a member of NATO when it's internally unstable/is at war/domestic conflict/whatever. that, and tons of other criteria that ukraine doesn't met and certainly won't in any forseeable future.

it's just a wishful thinking and blatant propaganda.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
NATO will not let Ukraine join with border issues and without massive reform of its armed forces so that it becomes a modern professional force. However, Ukraines appilication would give complete justification for NATO to help Ukraine train and re-arm its armed forces. And to even begin conducting NATO exercises in its territory.

More likely however this is Ukraine placing another card in its deck for talks with Russia. Just as Russia stepped in to save the rebels so as not to lose a card to deal later. Ukraine is picking up another card up. Ukraine with a moden military and in NATO would a nightmare for Russia. Ukaine knows this and knows Russia is not capable of full scale invasion of Ukraine and likely reaction that would bring. So Russia has one move to that is give up some of its cards in talk to get Ukraine to give up the NATO card.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

The seed of hatred is planted, and it will escalated, I can guarantee you that…

Not if you keep diffusing the propaganda the way you have. Thanks for your input here, I know people learn learn a lot from it.

Remember, we in the west are being subjected to another round of "Cold War" about the evil Russians. Older people like me recognize it for what it is, younger generations are getting it for the first time and need your kind of enlightenment.

regards,

intrptr

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I say make a exception and make them a NATO member(on a trial basis) where in they have 1 year to get the situation under control with the assistence of NATO. That skirts around the admittance rules. Because they cannot control their borders without assitance currently.Due to outside interferrence.

Also is it just me or are the serbians upset still about getting trounced for ethnic cleansing?

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Hope you see the typical double standards coming from a western citizen...

Why exactly can't they control their border?
I see nothing going on over there. But, If you are referring to the civil war that is currently going on over there, then shouldn't that be an internal issue without any interference, including NATO's and Russian? They can't control their border, but they are able to keep shelling cities full of their own people?

Or, are you just used to first start a revolution, overthrow a president of a country, completely tear it apart while so many innocent people die, and then, you set up your own people to rule that country and call it democracy?

But, I wouldn't be surprised if the west makes an exception just in this particular case, like it had done a few times before against countries that refused playing their game.

Plus, that last sentence just doesn't deserve my attention, because it's such a low kick by a desperate human being who has run out of facts to say and who's got no idea what actually happened during the civil war in Yugoslavia.

What's the matter mate, CNN didn't report on any recent news for you to use it as a proof?
edit on 629k2014Saturdaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
And what exactly do you think would happen if one of the 50 states said it was leaving the union? Hmmmm? Tanks would roll in a nanosecond. Russia doesn't want its former satellite nations to go astray. Especially ones where the pipelines go through and controls a major naval base that is depended on. I'm not saying Russia has the implied right to this. I'm just saying a moment of introspection is in order. Wonder how things would go if say, Texas wanted to join the Warsaw pact countries, or BRICS. They would be eating smart bombs for breakfast.

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: Flatcoat

And only one side has been shelling it's own civilians.

And only one side has been sending troops into a sovereign country and annexing part of that sovereign country.

Have you noticed they only shell where the separatists are hiding behind human shields?

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Based on your logic.

. Evidence points to Russia having invaded with both paratroopers and possibly an unknown number of troops hiding under the guise of unofficial uniforms. Russian artillery has been caught firing across the border on Ukrainian soldiers, and no one knows who shot down MH-17.

What Evidence?

with both paratroopers and possibly an unknown number of troops hiding under the guise of unofficial uniforms

According to western journalists, Ukrainian defense minsters which cant be trusted.

no one knows who shot down MH-17.

Its pretty clear whom wanted to shot down MH-17. With the Ukrankian forces whom were retreating from the area where the MH-17 went down what better way to do then use propaganda?
edit on 2-9-2014 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
I say make a exception and make them a NATO member(on a trial basis) where in they have 1 year to get the situation under control with the assistence of NATO. That skirts around the admittance rules. Because they cannot control their borders without assitance currently.Due to outside interferrence.

Also is it just me or are the serbians upset still about getting trounced for ethnic cleansing?

Kosovo of Today is a criminal run down society speaking of society the majority of Albanians are living closed off away from the modernism of society.

getting trounced for ethnic cleansing?

The only ethnic cleansing that has occurred in Kosovo has being agaisnt Serbs and other minorities by your beloved Brave KLA fighters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join