It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dunkin' Donuts Worker's Death Reveals The True Cost Of Our Low-Wage, Part-Time Economy

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Just some ideas.

If only we can end the circumvention of taxes by the wealthy. To counter the losses in taxes by lowering the taxes on the bottom 75%.

And if we give major tax incentives for business in this country to employee legal full time workers. As one of the methods of the methods of lowering taxes. Another would be a major tax incentive (as in a negative tax rate ) in industrial zones to those who manufacture in America. Paid for by a higher tax on for example increasing capital gains not on individuals but on the bank / investment firm. Tax those who have overseas factories a higher tarriff making it the same cost as if it were made here.

Enforcing some rule that government spending must yield some type of return on spending. If they buy a lot of weapons they better make some money on it.

Setting term limits for all levels of politics.

Don't raise minimum wages just get rid of federal taxes for those at making 50% over poverty rate.

Make land owning a 100 year leases?

Of course everything needs to be cyclical because then those rich will become poorer and the poor will be rich. The rich gotta

I dunno just throwing out some ideas. The lady died in a sad way but I know a lot of people who work at least two jobs. And in their cases they no longer have the opportunity to better themselves most times it's kids.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
I always considered low wage unskilled service jobs as starter jobs for those moving into the job force or older workers using that type of employment to supplement their retirement. Apparently many are choosing these types of jobs as a career choice.

It surprises me that these workers are demanding wages that entry level skilled workers make.

For people that work these jobs that have the opportunity to better themselves, why don't they have the motivation to raise their standard of living?

I understand the economy is bad but for someone working four jobs, it wouldn't last long because sleep deprivation has its problems.

A great example of someone that truly does not understand how bad the economy has failed and continues to fail until it is affecting him directly. That seems to be the human condition best summarized. Until it affects ME I don't see it. derp.

Here's a little secret... there is no recovery. never was one.. it was a phantom creation of illusion to placate the masses and the charade is beginning to fail finally.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 31/8/2014 by therealone717 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoOfYFoOt

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: pikestaff

originally posted by: beezzer

I think one of the things we need to do is phase out Social Security.

Put the onus of retirement on the backs of the people who are actually going to retire.

If that safety net isn't there, people will focus on what they are actually making/spending/saving/earning and plan for their own darned futures instead of relying on government.

Social security is paid for from the tax paid by the workers, did you do economics at school?

Yeee-ees, I am aware of that. (rolling eyes)

What's your point?

Get rid of Social Security and the "worker" will automatically HAVE MORE MONEY!

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that eradicating Social Security would miraculously cause gov't to start taking less out of our paychecks...

I also don't think getting rid of SS will force people to save more money for retirement. Keeping up with the Joneses and charging everything has piled up massive debt for a lot of people who don't think far into the future.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

it depends what and who you're taxing though.

ending tax breaks, and refusing to extend tax cuts for the highest earners will increase federal revenue.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The basic point in this thread I was trying to get at is that there was a forward progress of our civilization, somewhat, materially speaking, until a certain movement came along started by Ronald Reagan, some people think it began with Richard Nixon, but whatever the case is, one could track the economic progress going forward after WWII until the great tax cuts for the rich under Reagan were done and also the drastic change in US trade policy that allowed for capitalists or industrial flight to foreign low wage countries and manufacturing jobs in the US left with them.

This, along with the anti-union movement coming out of the GOP, was the beginning of the halt of that economic progress.

Less one thinks I am blaming everything on the greedy, and supine to the rich, GOP, I will state now that the Democrats have contributed greatly to this economic scam by supporting NAFTA and the repeal of Glass Steegle, which btw, the GOP with alacrity, agreed to do away with.

So this strangulation of the macro economic conditions is by-partisan, though it is the present obstinacy of the GOP who are the greatest barriers to stopping this declivity to economic doom in America.

The watch word to possible liberation is this:
VOTE ISSUES not emotion, dogma, or parties

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

the problem with obama, and really the entire presently existing political system, is campaign financing.

Democrats and Republican legislators want to keep their jobs. To keep their jobs, they need to get re-elected.

in order to get re-elected, they need to be able to finance their campaign.

to finance their campaign they need some friends in particular places, usually people in finance and other major economic sectors.

This is in addition to the human failings of these legislators.

Government is supposed to be the will of the collective, the will of the people, "Of the people For the people By the people", it's now a government made up of representatives that let worries of re-election trump their representing the people's interest.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I fail to see how this story shines a light on what the real problem is.. This lady died from asphyxiation due to gas fumes in her car... not from working 4 jobs.

Post should have read something like "Don't fall asleep in your car with an unattended gas can spilled over in the back of it, or you could die."
edit on 31-8-2014 by kdyam because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2014 by kdyam because: damn quotes didnt show up

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Apparently many are choosing these types of jobs as a career choice.

I believe much as the same as you, but my eyes have been opening as my two oldest boys have been out working part time jobs. There are many adults working these jobs with them. These types of people are perfect for factory type work, boring, repetitive, physical stuff. Those jobs simply don't exist in enough numbers around here. We need jobs for people who are not college material. These people will have children, those children will live in poverty. I don't know what the solution is. These are not bad people, just not really qualified to work in higher paying jobs. One of my boys got a job working at a home improvement stores distribution facility. Better than minimum wage, benefits out the wazoo, but tough work. Fifty year old guys loading boxes. Like i said, several of these folks i met and they are good people, hard workers, but what they can do is limited to manual labor type stuff. Since we have moved so many manufacturing jobs over seas we now are left with the "haves" supporting the "have not's" in service jobs. That is why our underclass is growing so large.

it's too simplistic to say these people need to pull themselves up by their boot straps.... Pull themselves up with what to where?

V

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
I always considered low wage unskilled service jobs as starter jobs for those moving into the job force or older workers using that type of employment to supplement their retirement. Apparently many are choosing these types of jobs as a career choice.

It surprises me that these workers are demanding wages that entry level skilled workers make.

For people that work these jobs that have the opportunity to better themselves, why don't they have the motivation to raise their standard of living?

I understand the economy is bad but for someone working four jobs, it wouldn't last long because sleep deprivation has its problems.

Do you think this chick wanted to work 4 part time jobs? Do you think this was her entire motivation of life, to serve crap donuts at a crap franchise? No one CHOOSES these types of jobs as a career choice. This is survival. There are 100 million jobs for 350 million people. What do you expect? No one is working the farmland anymore, and being an enterprenuer doesn't work unless you have a client base that can afford to spend money your way. This economy has outsourced a lot of labor chops to Asiatic countries and guess what, THEY AINT COMING BACK!!!! So this is all a person in this shyt country can do now. Serve crap donuts part time and die for napping.

Geezuz.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Wonder if anyone considered the impact of the affordable care act on solidifying our "part-time" wage job economy?

This is an insightful question. In my opinion, the Affordable Care Act wasn't created to help people, it was created to prevent an uprising of people fed up with not having access to health care without bankrupting themselves. It's comparable to giving starving people a box of food (good, in itself) instead of figuring out how they can have enough food long-term. The fact that the US is the only industrialized nation on earth that doesn't have universal healthcare speaks for itself.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: kdyam

I fail to see how this story shines a light on what the real problem is.. This lady died from asphyxiation due to gas fumes in her car... not from working 4 jobs.

Post should have read something like "Don't fall asleep in your car with an unattended gas can spilled over in the back of it, or you could die."

You were unable to figure out that she was sleeping in her car, despite four jobs, because she couldn't afford an apartment? It's quite remarkable that you missed that. She probably had the gas can in the car because her trunk was jam-packed full with all her worldly possessions.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I'm replying to my own post to point out that it's obvious that some people don't "get" the point of the news story. I don't think it's because they're stupid but, rather, because their brains are wired differently. No amount of explanation/education/social influence will likely change this.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I must have missed the fact that she didn't have an apartment.. or it was never covered in the article and you are speculating that she was working 4 part time jobs, making in the range of $28-$30,000 a year and couldn't afford one. If she was working 4 part time jobs then where was her money going? Or was her trunk so full of money that she had to put the gas can in her back seat?

Not buying it. She would have more than enough money to pay rent on a crappy apartment.

Nice try though!

You were unable to figure out that she was sleeping in her car, despite four jobs, because she couldn't afford an apartment? It's quite remarkable that you missed that. She probably had the gas can in the car because her trunk was jam-packed full with all her worldly possessions.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I'm replying to my own post to point out that it's obvious that some people don't "get" the point of the news story. I don't think it's because they're stupid but, rather, because their brains are wired differently. No amount of explanation/education/social influence will likely change this.

I agree! You prove your own case in point with your posts quite successfully. You seem to be unable to read between the lines of the sensationalism in the media.. or lack the common sense to break down the matter and its implications.

Some people just don't get it... this lady obviously didn't.

You hook a plow to horse and they will pull it until they are dead.. Hook a plow to a human and they will pull it until they no longer want to... then they will find something more accommodating to their needs to perform....

A human with the mentality of a horse... while not uncommon... will never learn how to change their lives and just keep pulling..

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
The basic point in this thread I was trying to get at is that there was a forward progress of our civilization, somewhat, materially speaking, until a certain movement came along started by Ronald Reagan, some people think it began with Richard Nixon, but whatever the case is, one could track the economic progress going forward after WWII until the great tax cuts for the rich under Reagan were done and also the drastic change in US trade policy that allowed for capitalists or industrial flight to foreign low wage countries and manufacturing jobs in the US left with them.

This, along with the anti-union movement coming out of the GOP, was the beginning of the halt of that economic progress.

Less one thinks I am blaming everything on the greedy, and supine to the rich, GOP, I will state now that the Democrats have contributed greatly to this economic scam by supporting NAFTA and the repeal of Glass Steegle, which btw, the GOP with alacrity, agreed to do away with.

So this strangulation of the macro economic conditions is by-partisan, though it is the present obstinacy of the GOP who are the greatest barriers to stopping this declivity to economic doom in America.

The watch word to possible liberation is this:
VOTE ISSUES not emotion, dogma, or parties

If one votes for either branch of the Corporate Uniparty, you're voting for more of the same.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I must have missed the fact that she didn't have an apartment.. or it was never covered in the article and you are speculating that she was working 4 part time jobs, making in the range of $28-$30,000 a year and couldn't afford one. If she was working 4 part time jobs then where was her money going? Or was her trunk so full of money that she had to put the gas can in her back seat?

Not buying it. She would have more than enough money to pay rent on a crappy apartment.

Nice try though!

That which you claim to be my original post is not mine and certainly doesn't reflect my opinions. It would amaze me that it hasn't occurred to you that she didn't get enough hours in those four jobs combined to make that much money were it not for my hypothesis about brain wiring. It would further amaze me that you think she probably had an apartment but chose to sleep in her car were it not for my hypothesis about brain wiring.
edit on 31-8-2014 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I agree! You prove your own case in point with your posts quite successfully. You seem to be unable to read between the lines of the sensationalism in the media.. or lack the common sense to break down the matter and its implications.

You hook a plow to horse and they will pull it until they are dead.. Hook a plow to a human and they will pull it until they no longer want to... then they will find something more accommodating to their needs to perform....

A human with the mentality of a horse... while not uncommon... will never learn how to change their lives and just keep pulling..

The only reason a horse would pull a plow until dead is because a horse can't remove the plow. I can't wait to hear your ideas about how this woman could have gotten herself out of her situation. Because neither of us know her circumstances prior to her finding herself with four part-time jobs and sleeping in her car, start there.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Awesome song!

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

The only reason a horse would pull a plow until dead is because a horse can't remove the plow. I can't wait to hear your ideas about how this woman could have gotten herself out of her situation. Because neither of us know her circumstances prior to her finding herself with four part-time jobs and sleeping in her car, start there.

Horses have been getting out or traces and harnesses since they were domesticated... its the training that keeps them in .... and their low intelligence.

So if this lady had one job that she worked at for 100 hours a week and died on her way to work in a car accident did her job kill her then too? Or was it the accident she was involved in that killed her?

It's like being in a hair splitting contest with a blind man.

posted on Aug, 31 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Horses have been getting out or traces and harnesses since they were domesticated... its the training that keeps them in .... and their low intelligence.

So if this lady had one job that she worked at for 100 hours a week and died on her way to work in a car accident did her job kill her then too? Or was it the accident she was involved in that killed her?

It's like being in a hair splitting contest with a blind man.

Thank you for proving my point. You don't get it. You never will.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join