It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toilets of the Gods

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I was recently reminded of an interesting theory with regards to the Origin of Life, so I thought I'd share it here. Should be interesting (and tongue in the cheek) to Evolutionists, philosophers and those interested in E.T. life. Beware: There will be mention of "poop".

It's a very short essay by Sir Arthur C. Clarke (best known for his participation in the writing of "2001: A Space Odyssey" and his interest in space travel, also called "prophet of the space age" by some).

Toilets of the Gods
Or: The Colonisation of Space
By Sir Arthur C. Clarke

Space scientists recently completed an examination of orbital debris, recovered after circling the Earth for several years. They discovered that much of it was coated with a thin film of what was delicately described as "fecal matter", attributed to astronaut's sloppy sanitation.

This may solve one of the mysteries of life's origin on Earth: it seems to have arisen almost as soon as conditions were favorable, and not after the billions of years of molecular trial and error required by what Isaac Asimov called the "unblind working of chance."

Obviously, organized life-forms need have occurred only once in this Galaxy, if the very first space-faring civilization was as careless about the environment as we are. Years ago, Hoyle and Wickramasinghe suggested that life had a cosmic, and not terrestrial, origin. They may be right, though not precisely in the way they imagined. It's a humbling thought that we may have arisen from dumped sewage; the first chapter of Genesis would certainly require drastic revision.

On the other hand, if - as some philosophers have suggested- this Earth does indeed harbor the only life in the Universe, that deplorable state of affairs is now being rectified. We may draw some consolation - I hesitate to say inspiration - from the fact that our descendants are already on their way to the stars.

But we certainly would not recognize them, and it might be tactless to ask exactly how they got there.

From the book "Greetings, Carbon-Based Bipeds!", copied from Open Library.

So, basically it's a take on Hoyle and Wickramasinghe's theory that suggests that life on earth began as a virus that hitched a ride on a meteorite. Only Arthur C Clarke suggests that life began as bacteria in "space poop"...

So, a couple of billion years ago a couple of beings from another planet were cruising about in their little space ship. One of them had a number two, and the result was ejected into space. The poop immediately froze, and slowly drifted through space for thousands of years, and finally ended up in the gravitational field of earth and landed somewhere wet and slimy. The poop thawed letting loose the bacteria frozen inside. Ta da! Life on earth.

It may be silly and gross, but it's hardly a worse theory than any of the existing theories on Abiogenesis. And hardly far-fetched if you consider the fact that our own astronauts have been sending their poop into space for years now.

Fecal matter, meanwhile, often gets packed up and cast off from the space station with other trash in capsules that burn up in the atmosphere, Roberts said.

As a matter of fact a lot of our space toys are covered with a thin film of poop...

... In 1986, the Soviet Union built the Mir space station, which had a bathroom with a toilet that vented the waste out into space. By the time space officials were retiring Mir in 2001, the space station's solar panels had lost about 40 percent of their effectiveness, Roberts said.

"They realized that a large part of the damage to these solar panels was frozen urine floating in space at very high speeds," Roberts told his audience...
Source

Perhaps in a million years Neil Armstrong's poop will be the beginning of life on another planet?

I don't really care for the theory one way or the other - as I said - a good a theory as any other, and we'll never know the answer for a fact, will we? I do however think it's quite funny to imagine that we may have originated from an alien's poop. Perhaps I wish it was so, then I could tell people not to take themselves so seriously - they originated from poop.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Gemwolf

so maybe this is why we all act like a bunch of $hiite Heads?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Arthur C Clarke is a sci fi genius.

There is not movie or book with his name on it that sucked. 2001 was simply amazing.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   

You know what? Weirder , uhm, "stuff" has happened, so why not?

Some bacteria can live in extreme temperatures, it could be possible.

Not a very pretty theory,but ah well.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Quite the most brilliant theory as to our origins yet. Loved the cartoon, how long did it take you to find it, or do you keep the best you see for later reference?

However its 'food' for thought.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Well this is a pretty crappy subject.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Oh my God another brilliant cartoon! I am going to be thinking about this theory for a while.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Oh my God another brilliant cartoon! I am going to be thinking about this theory for a while.

while you are sitting on the throne no doubt

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

One of thee best movies ever. Thanks for the laugh.

S&F for feel good thread*

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Sometime it could be very dangerous..

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Arken

LOL thank you

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Your theory does has scientific merit, however, there is a fecal undertone to the analogy due to the fact that the god delusion falls within the bowels of pseudo-science. I would like to congratulate you on an exceptional piece of literal contrast.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

In space, no-one can hear you flush.

This would explain politicians.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I'm sure Boncho will be a long soon with some analytical thoughts.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Brilliant idea.
Brilliant thread,

And as for this line,

Perhaps in a million years Neil Armstrong's poop will be the beginning of life on another planet?

Yep, brilliant!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

fecal matter constitutes the very basic ingredients needed for the 'soup of life' rdna:

we are all fecal matter.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Hmmmmm *scratches head*

Do you think the folks on the space station eat plankton?

Now that would certainly answer a question concerning this thread here : www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am sure that there have been a couple of Japanese astronauts up there who have a tendency for Okiami or Russians that have consumed Krill based dishes?

In Japan and Russia, krill is also used for human consumption and is known as okiami (オキアミ?) in Japan.

More here : en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 20/8/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

you had me at 'poop'
but the idea we are just made from # is kinda.. offensive?
O_o

Gen 1:26
Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and ...

thanks for posting (S&F'd)

..who's your 'daddy'?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It's a humbling thought that we may have arisen from dumped sewage; the first chapter of Genesis would certainly require drastic revision.

I love the reference to Genesis. And God said, let there be $hite...

Class indeed.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
So if I poo into a tube, shoot it into space with a note inside stating the location of my planet and the exact place i was buried . There's a small chance I could start a new form of life, and have them come back to earth in millions of years and possibly resurrect me?

I can't believe I'v never thought about this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join