It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Gov. Perry Indicted for Coercion for Veto Threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been indicted for abuse of power after carrying out a threat to veto funding for state public corruption prosecutors.

The Republican governor is accused of abusing his official powers by publicly promising to veto $7.5 million for the state public integrity unit at the Travis County District Attorney's office. He was indicted by an Austin grand jury Friday.

Perry said he'd veto the funding if the district attorney, Rosemary Lehmberg, didn't resign. Lehmberg had recently been convicted of drunken driving. The state's Public Integrity Unit operates out of her office.

When Lehmberg refused, Perry carried out his veto, drawing an ethics complaint.

Perry is the first Texas governor indicted in nearly a century. He's leaving office in January, but he's a possible 2016 presidential run.

I think Perry probably did the right thing, but it is good to see a governor being taken to task for possibly overstepping his authority. That being said, I think this prosecution is more about revenge by the prosecutors office than any actual wrong-doing by the Governor.

Now if we could get Obama indicted for his executive overreach we might be on our way to cleaning up this country.

Source
edit on 2014/8/15 by Metallicus because: Clarity

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This of course is a big joke.

In an escalation of the confrontation between the United States attorney in Manhattan, Preet Bharara, and Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo over the governor’s cancellation of his own anticorruption commission, Mr. Bharara has threatened to investigate the Cuomo administration for possible obstruction of justice or witness tampering
Link
It gets more play when a guy with a big R does something about "integrity" in politics. But get a guy with a D next to his name well who cares. Texas should feel glad they have a governor like that, how can a DA that has shown a lack of integrity be investigating. At least with this mess in NY, Cumo is being investigated by a fellow Democrat that has taken no sides on nailing corrupt politicians.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Right or left theres alway someone to spin a bad story in a good thing.

edit on 15-8-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

No he isn't doing the right thing. I am no fan of drunk drivers I am really not. But her conviction for a DUI had absolutely no bearing on her ability to do the job she is tasked with. As a society we have to accept that people make mistakes and give them room to learn from them. We can't go about insisting people convicted of DUI resign their jobs.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
You really need to understand that in some states the blood alcohol laws make it almost impossible for a petite woman to not drive drunk.

As a woman I see this is an issue. As a woman that's 5'10" I do not experience it, its concerning.

So, you're not supposed to teach your children how to drink responsibly any more, there are billboards everywhere. Its illegal. Even though if you don't teach them something as simple as what is and is not appropriate you the one that will have to pay if they choose to learn with their friends.

Now, you take the same petite woman and all the alcohol ed you get in school is done with exact portions based on a mans body weight. If you're lucky you'll get a female example too. Not petite.

A person around 6' can drink one or two shots and be sober one or two hours later. Not a petite. They don't have the body mass. How do they learn this if the people they learn to drink with aren't family? (Meaning diverse)

So now the police get a ticket. MADD is happy, courts and DMV gets fees. And maybe if she's lucky she won't have to pay to have a breathalyzer put on her car.

So no. Not being.g able to stay out the system due to legal stupity has nothing to do with how well she does her job. I would be more concerned if she got a ticket for drinking while she was working.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Some one posted on the Ferguson threads that you get the government you deserve.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

They must deserve anarchy.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Probably an unpopular opinion with some.. but I hope this runs him out of town..

I am a conservative... and cant stand this guy happy to see him knocked down and hopefully out of any consideration for higher office.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

I'm a NYer and Cuomo has held us back for so long.

2nd line

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
A District Attorney gets a DUI.
Seriously, why would she not have to resign?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
She looks like a real beauty.

Dash cam video of Travis Co. DA's arrest released

District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg says she’ll work to restore confidence

SO, you trolling the threads to blame the victim?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
Victim of what, being held accountable for your stupid actions?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx
Is it really smart to have a woman that thought she was above the law to be enforcing the law though?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
He is accused of overstepping his powers. She is apparently being dealt with by the system. He is being King...can't be King in the US, if I recall.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

He is accused of overstepping his powers. She is apparently being dealt with by the system. He is being King...can't be King in the US, if I recall.

I think this whole thing is Democrat rage and vengeance.

They always blame somebody else for their own guilt.

Where did Perry *not* have veto authority ?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No sir, That's our Dear Leader Comrade Obama's job.
He wouldn't like the competition

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
He has veto powers for a reason, no? He didn't just make them up with an executive action or something.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

LOL....Texas politics. Those grandstanding morons in Austin were put up to going after Governor Good Hair so that he would be scuffed up before the 2016 race started to heat up.

He acted appropriately by refusing to fund an office that didn't take out its own trash. I don't really like the guy, so Im not fond of defending him.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

I think this whole thing is Democrat rage and vengeance.

They always blame somebody else for their own guilt.

Where did Perry *not* have veto authority ?

Perry was an idiot for telling them he would withhold the funding if she didn't resign. You can't blackmail people to get what you want. Just because she got a DUI is no grounds for Perry to extort her resignation from her.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join