It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential hopeful Rand Paul slams the militarization of police.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Sen. Rand Paul: De-militarize the police.

Sen. Rand Paul, who has stood apart from his party in directly addressing race and the criminal justice system, is now among the first to speak out forcefully on the police confrontations with protestors in Ferguson, Mo. in the wake of the shooting death of Michael Brown, 18, by a police officer.

Anyone who thinks that race does not skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention. And the root of the problem is big government.

Given the racial disparities in our criminal justice system, it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them.

The shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown is an awful tragedy that continues to send shockwaves through the community of Ferguson, Missouri and across the nation.

If I had been told to get out of the street as a teenager, there would have been a distinct possibility that I might have smarted off. But, I wouldn’t have expected to be shot.

The senator argued that "Washington has incentivized the militarization of local police precincts by using federal dollars to help municipal governments build what are essentially small armies...

Militarization of police, you dont say...

In the article they tried to frame his stance on racial inequality in the justice system in the context of Rand being a Presidential hopeful. That he was simply making those statements in order to appeal to Black voters.

Fact is, his father held the same beliefs for decades prior to running for President. I would tend to think that his views are also sincere.

I'll be the first to admit that he has sided with mainline Republicans on many issues but many of us believe that he is a Trojan Horse candidate.

Everyone knows what the establishment did to his father. Rand knows that he needs to play nice with TPTB if hes to get anywhere near the White House.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
By Gods grace and mercy I sincerely hope this man gets a fair and honost chance at the White House.......He speaks the truth ...which is an extreme rarity these days...and those in positions of power feel very threatened by this alone......isn't it quite a day and age we live in where speaking the truth is frowned upon......

edit on 15-8-2014 by highfreq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
People always want to bash Ron and Rand but the world sure be diffret place if either of them were president...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: highfreq
By Gods grace and mercy I sincerely hope this man gets a fair and honost chance at the White House.......He speaks the truth ...which is an extreme rarity these days...and those in positions of power feel very threatened by this alone......isn't it quite a day and age we live in where speaking the truth is frowned upon......
Once i saw how they treated Ron in the debates years ago, i knew fairness, truth and character were not qualities looked for in an American president. However, lying, manipulating and entitlements are...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah well people need to be paying attention.

In the political madness world what we have seen is:

1. We have been essentially disarmed.

2. We have seen the military essentially be disarmed, and shrunk.

3. We have seen an exponential increase in police 'hardware'.

They don't need all that 'hardware' to fight the average John, and Jane Doe American.

Because most stuff the police use has been banned by 'civilian' use.

The most stuff the military use has worked it's way down to the police of today.

Ever closer we are getting to a real POLICE state.

The military's function is to PROTECT the state.

The police's function is to PROTECT the people.

It is up to the individual to PROTECT themselves these days.

Good luck with that by the way.

The military is better armed.

The police is better armed.

The criminals are better armed.

And the 'politicians have made it that way selling a false sense of 'security'.

Those who sacrifice LIBERTY for a false sense of SECURITY will soon find themselves having neither.

See current events in Feguson, MO.

Rand may talk the talk, but will he walk the walk.

I think if the past 6 years have shown us ALL anything.

What people say isn't what they get.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If you believe that you'll believe anything. Just how many more times are you going to fall for an angelic peace loving presidential candidate, only to vote them in and find they do the exact opposite ?
NO more voting in those that put THEMSELVES up for power ! Wake up !!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Who cares what Rand Paul says? What about actual actions like bills? I posted this earlier today
Lawmaker To Introduce Bill To Curb Increasing Militarization Of Police Agencies

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I'm a huge Ron Paul fan. Rand on the other hand plays politics way too much. He should have been more outspoken earlier but he waits patiently till the tide is in favor to make pushes.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: CRUSTY37

originally posted by: highfreq
Once i saw how they treated Ron in the debates years ago, i knew fairness, truth and character were not qualities looked for in an American president. However, lying, manipulating and entitlements are...

And yet Ron's treatment from the media is what made people like me to start liking him. Still undecided of what I think about Rand Paul. Time will tell but it's good to see him questioning what's going on with the police.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I'd be more supportive of Paul if he weren't FOR drones in the US.

I'm going to have to simply consider Paul just another 2-faced politician.

top topics

join