It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's new naval jet goes through carrier tests

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hi all apologies first I don't have much information looking for some while I work but these photos popped up on my Facebook. Apparently it's the new Shenyang J-15 naval fighter been put through take off and landing test.

Edit: the aviationist had some some bits of info on it including a few more shots of the plane and a video that resembles top gun apparently
theaviationist.com...
edit on 6-8-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added link

Edit again: struggling to get the YouTube videos number to imbed but if you search YouTube for this 'AVIC SAC J-15 MV' the first search result is china little top gun movie

edit on 6-8-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
here ya go

I wonder how that compares to an f-18
edit on 6-8-2014 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Is THAT stealthy.......just asking as it looks mighty like an f18 hornet...which isn't really stealthy at all.....
How can such huge vertical stabies NOT reflect radar......

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

It's not stealthy at all, it's a Chinese knock-off of a Sukhoi Su-33, which is a Russian 4th gen fighter. If the Chinese copy is as good as the Russian plane, then it will crush and F/A-18 in most circumstances.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I took a quick skim read through some of the aviationist articles on it it did say somewhere that the f-18s would still win hands down. I also discovered that this is quite recent news it's from April this year. I know the handful of pro aviation enthusiasts on here will treat this as old news .. Nether the less thought it may intrigue others

Notice the folding stabilisers at the back as well as folding wings .. Pretty funky

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost
a reply to: stirling

It's not stealthy at all, it's a Chinese knock-off of a Sukhoi Su-33, which is a Russian 4th gen fighter. If the Chinese copy is as good as the Russian plane, then it will crush and F/A-18 in most circumstances.

Maybe an f-18 won't win hands down then

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I think it would probably depend on the mission and circumstance, i.e. A2A or A2G. The Chinese still lag in engine development and avionics as far as I know, so nothing is certain. Zaphod could probably shed some light on this.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost that's quite true I don't know the knowledge on the tip of my tongue to debate what it will and won't be good at. Another reason why I posted it so others can include they own thoughts on it

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Made in America

lol

(joke)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost

If it's a copy of a Russian aircraft, it's useless in battle ... they have all been proven useless in battles, all around the globe.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Here are a couple comparisons/info about the SU33 family jets and the F18;

www.ausairpower.net...

defensetech.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
China has already been working on the J-11B for some time. It's an indigenous, improved Su-27SK. You can be quite sure that the J-11B program has significantly influenced this program. The aircraft fits the same sort of role as the Super Hornet: it's not a stealth airframe, but it carries ordnance and is effective in its own way. You can also rest assured that the Chinese will compensate for the lack of electronic sophistication with sheer power. It won't be running an AESA, but the Russians have shown with the Irbis-E that PESAs are nothing to turn your nose up at if you're willing to throw power at it. The engines are also not up to the Russian or Western frontrunners, but they're improving rapidly and it'd be foolish to discount the ease with which these fighters can be re-engined.

Given that the PLA Navy is currently running J-7 (AKA Fishbeds), J-8, and maybe J-10, the J-15 represents a huge leap forward in the sort of things they can fling off of a carrier. If it is combined with a naval J-20 variant and in the appropriate numbers you may quickly find it a force to be reckoned with.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Just want to say thanks for everyone's input I know it's not one of the most 'juiciest' of threads but it's just a little something for people to look at and members replies are helpful to someone that knows very little .. Like myself

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well put it this way

It's a COPY of the Russian SU-33 and isn't a mature platform

It's been thoroughly studied and reviewed by lots of professional aviation experts whom have given the J-15 flying shark the nickname.... Wait for it....

FLOPPING FISH!!!

Seriously, China has proven time and time again to be absolutely terrible at using stolen blueprints and putting them together, perhaps it's all the bits and bobs of hacked information they have retrieved online being useless or perhaps they're just as terrible as Iran in building and designing military hardware

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

It is more than plenty to successfully intimidate Vietnam, Philippines, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, etc...

Don't underestimate them. (And overestimate the future of Russia). 30 years ago the Chinese couldn't boot up, much less build a router. Then they stole Cisco source code and made cheap clones. And now they are successful world competitors. 15 years ago the quality of mainland Chinese scientific papers was very poor. Now I see many with no difference vs North American or European top level.

In a serious power vs power conflict, both sides know that the carriers become vulnerabilities instead of assets. Attack submarines make targets of most stuff that's floating and precision missiles take care of the rest.

I believe that in US-USSR simulations during the cold war, it was estimated that the US surface fleet other than irrelevantly far off locations would last about 60 minutes (assume the USSR's fared even worse). 1 MT cruise missile takes out the whole carrier group and they could try to launch 50 at each group and even if you got 90% of them...

en.wikipedia.org...

Understand that nuclear conflict with China is not likely, but modern torpedoes are very effective.

edit on 6-8-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The Su-33 vs F-18 is an interesting one. Launching from the Liaoning, they can't carry either a full fuel, or full weapons load, because there is no catapult system. The F-18 however, can launch at max take off weight, due to the catapult. This gives it the advantage in weapons load out. This puts them about on par in terms of loiter time, depending on the range of the engagement.

The F-18 has a serious problem with energy loss, and acceleration in certain speed ranges, which is offset by the engine reliability of Russian/Chinese engines.

So it's really going to come down to who sees who first, and gets the first shot off (as most engagements go), in which case the F-18 has every advantage, with the E-2 and E-3 in the area.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Not to mention the Liaoning is the only one around (for now) so it won't be hard to track. I'd put money on the US never NOT knowing where she is thus all of her assets as well.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Wouldn't you? Just WAITING for one of those babies to PLOW into another one of our aircraft.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
he's going to be fighting against an American unmanned stealth drone that can pull many more g's in dogfighting and missile evasion, has unmatched speed, and time in the air, and will be invisible to radar. but, the Chinese plane is cute, so they got that going for them.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Lol. Yeah they tend to do that don't they.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join